Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to pick up my old MCU. There was no document/procedure they needed to get from Tesla.

IMG-0124.jpg
IMG-0122e.jpg

They said there was some confusion as to whether I had paid full price for the replacement part, and once they determined that I had, they were cleared to release it back to me. A dubious excuse, since they're the ones who told me in the first place that I had to pay full price...

They also mentioned that they've never had anyone ask for their parts back. I think someone went and read California law.

Still makes me wonder; if the MCU dies like mine did (both displays dead, car would not shift into drive)... while driving, does the car just shut off completely? Do you need to hold your foot on the brake until help arrives?

I was able to pick up my old MCU. There was no document/procedure they needed to get from Tesla.

IMG-0124.jpg
IMG-0122e.jpg

They said there was some confusion as to whether I had paid full price for the replacement part, and once they determined that I had, they were cleared to release it back to me. A dubious excuse, since they're the ones who told me in the first place that I had to pay full price...

They also mentioned that they've never had anyone ask for their parts back. I think someone went and read California law.

Still makes me wonder; if the MCU dies like mine did (both displays dead, car would not shift into drive)... while driving, does the car just shut off completely? Do you need to hold your foot on the brake until help arrives?

Yep, same thing happened to me. I think someone read state law and determined that you can ask for your parts to be returned. I would bench test it if I were you, you may be surprised to what you fine

• Love
Reactions: appleguru
Last edited:
Text battery replacement

On my 2014 S 85 after 133000 km (84000miles) the battery died while doing an update, the car was towed to the local service center, a new battery pack was ordered, after 2 weeks it arrived, after the replacement I got a call stating the computer also need to be replace in order to make futurs updates. The computer as a cost of $3000,00 and not warranty looks. after 4 years it is hard to accept such expense!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Text battery replacement

On my 2014 S 85 after 133000 km (84000miles) the battery died while doing an update, the car was towed to the local service center, a new battery pack was ordered, after 2 weeks it arrived, after the replacement I got a call stating the computer also need to be replace in order to make futurs updates. The computer as a cost of $3000,00 and not warranty looks. after 4 years it is hard to accept such expense!

I'd have just declined. MCU version 1 is done for any major future updates anyways.

Reactions: Sudre
I agree with sorka. If the MCU you have actually still works I would just keep it. I had to upgrade when my 2013 MCU died. I am one of the few that is getting tired of the continuous updates. It’s like every 6 months I have to relearn how to listen to music. Or search around to find the backup camera now.

That's why I'm STILL on v8. If I accidentally updated to v9 I'd PAY 3 grand just to get back to 8:eek:

The MCU (the main 17" touch screen and computer unit) on my 2013 Model S has failed for the second time, this time out of warranty. The first time Tesla replaced it under warranty, but this time it's costing me more than $3,000 ($2726 plus tax) - about as much as the top of the line MacBook Pro. The service center told me that the "processor" had failed inside the MCU. I live in Seattle, where temperatures are not extremely hot (in general), though I have driven it around the country and to hot places (not often). I bring this up to the group because I certainly hope this won't become a regular failure every 2-3 years for everyone. And while my car is out of warranty, it just feels wrong (as it does when other car companies cite the warranty in similar cases) to have to pay to fix something that seems like an intrinsic defect. The MCU is innovative - not a standard automotive computer, but a Linux-based system of Tesla's creation (though I think Foxconn makes it for them). It should be robust to many years of driving, not subject to regular very expensive failures. Am I wrong?

Thèse components shal be good for the expected car life. Same thing as happen to me. I believe it is time for a group legal action.

I think Tesla makes them using their own components mixed with components from other manufactures. I would imagine the screen part itself is not made by Tesla.

This article from 2014 says: "The full display itself was manufactured by Innolux", so not sure.

What's Inside the Tesla Model S Dashboard
Thanks!

Via What's Inside the Tesla Model S Dashboard, the busted image containing the table at the end isn't lost. There's a copy at Wayback Machine.

Thèse components shal be good for the expected car life. Same thing as happen to me. I believe it is time for a group legal action.

What is the "expected car life"? This is why almost nothing comes with a "lifetime" warranty as the lifetime ends when the first thing fails that brings the items useful life to an end.

How is it any different from any one of the 1000s of components on an ICE vehicle failing just outside of the warranty period.

The warranty on a replacement MCU is 4 years (no mileage limit), so maybe that is the expected lifetime? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Akikiki
Just puzzled about the v9 hate. Didn’t really care to get into it. I really enjoy v9 after the update that let me put the rear view camera higher up on the screen. Spending $3k to back to v8 is just silly.

V9 broke way too many things. Not just being able to keep the rear camera at the top. There are literally dozens of threads with complaints about the broken or missing features ranging from malfunctioning climate control to getting stuck in traffic because the maps no longer show green but rather gray when when traffic is good which is the same as NO data.

I'm glad you're happy with V9. Not everyone will hate it. Even when somethings sucks, a small percentage of people will still like it:p

What is the "expected car life"? This is why almost nothing comes with a "lifetime" warranty as the lifetime ends when the first thing fails that brings the items useful life to an end. :rolleyes:

I had two MCU's on two different cars fail within a month of each other (both at approximately 84k miles). The MCU being a solid-state device; shouldn't be failing at the rate others and myself appear to be experiencing. Tesla is excessively writing to eMMC and causing failure... which indicates bad design.

Yes, lifetime warranty is absurd. However, Tesla should fix the issue (or socket the memory) and offer free or significantly discounted repairs.

$2300+labor is a tough pill to swallow for some of us (hopefully it won't happen to you, though I wouldn't bet on it)