Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Yellow Border - Fixed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went to Dublin yesterday, my Used Tesla that I picked up 2 weeks back has slight yellowing around. It doesn't bother me as much perhaps because I was aware of it.

I asked them and the technician said the same "1 time courtesy fix". I told him I will wait until a permanent solution is identified than the UV fix. I am going to see what comes up but will see how this shapes up. If it ends up being a 1 time fix I would like to push the current screen as long as I can and then hope for a fix or screen replacement....

This is a completely unacceptable answer!

Finally had my screen repaired per my positive NCDS hearing. My screen was not fixable using the UV machine, so the screen was replaced, part 1084333-00-C. Receipt marked as warranty. Before pic attached.

I wonder if someone walking in off the street would get the same? Probably not.

20190703_163431.jpg

Finally had my screen repaired per my positive NCDS hearing. My screen was not fixable using the UV machine, so the screen was replaced, part 1084333-00-C. Receipt marked as warranty. Before pic attached.

I wonder if someone walking in off the street would get the same? Probably not.

View attachment 454560

Thanks for sharing... it appears that NCDS Arbitration will be required to force Tesla to replace the screen under warranty.

@KArnold what made your screen not fixable by the UV machine?
I don't know. They tried UV unsuccessfully. They said it was the worst they've seen - I think I've seen some worse than mine on here. They just did it calling to say it would take a 2nd day. I never saw the post-UV result. They also said it was their first attempt at this SC - experience/skill may play a role.

They may do that for anyone under warranty if the UV treatment doesn't work.
That's true - there are implications to that. In my NCDS hearing, Ryan strongly implied this was their status quo. But I don't recall posts of anyone claiming this level of service since the machine came out. I'd be curious on this as well - has anyone else had a warranty screen replacement post UV-fail in the last couple of months?

Had both IC and main screen ?fixed today. Drove 70 miles from LA to Costa Mesa (only location that has the “tool”) for 9 am appt. Got there at 8:20 am. By 8:45 am, cars were lining up out of the parking lot and onto the street. Fortunately for me I was the first one. SA first told me that they are “a little backed up” and I will have to leave my car for “a few days” because there are 12 cars for the UV fix ahead of me. I politely showed him SC texts which clearly indicated that I should be done by noon. I also pointed out that I am not local. He said “let me see what I can do”. He returned in a few minutes and said that my car will have a priority and should be done by noon. Well, it was done by 2 pm and they broke my expensive cell phone holder, but the yellow is gone (for now).

[QUOTE="Leopold, post: 3797991, member: 75867"

'...
Given the above, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture once this procedure is available.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I just got the same note (from Houston North SC). They gave no indication as to when that Center will have the tools/procedure installed. OTOH, the yellow stripes really don't hinder the performance in any way that I can discern.

Received this text from Memphis SC this morning...

“hello Gary, to be honest at this moment they have not released the tools. however, this is not something the mobile team can perform in the field. at this time there is no update or ability to perform repair. reach back out in a month or so. thanks”

There seem to be a few threads on this around the forum, so I thought I'd just post here. I wanted to let the forum know that the yellow border on my MCU is gone.

Bonnie Norman on Twitter (before/after pics)

As I noted in the tweet, be patient. They have developed a tool /fixture that restores the screen - but not all centers have the tool yet (plus I guess some training is involved).

I was lucky enough to be at service on Monday for a wheel alignment while the tool was passing thru temporarily (I guess it’s making the rounds for training purposes.)

BE PATIENT. Just make sure your service center knows you have the issue and would like to be scheduled when they’re ready.

>> If you wonder why I trust Tesla when they say they’re working on a solution, it’s because my experience has always been that when they say that, they are. (Patience is a bitch though, isn’t it?)

it is ~80 days since the first post on this thread.. the tools yet to be received in West palm.. any others on the forum in Florida know if any other SC have it ? the yellow lines are not too bad, but yeah, would like to get em fixed..

Toronto, Canada area centers are starting to get the tools. Some local owners are reporting success. The center closest to me doesn't have the tool yet (on order) but they tell me it can't be done by Ranger as it is about a 2 hour procedure.
Most of which is waiting (I think), so yeah, it doesn't make sense to tie up a Ranger.

Just had mine done. A couple of tidbits,
They said it was 2.5hrs to run the fix. They have done quite a few, including one that they had to run the tool 3 times to fix.

Mine wasn't as bad as a lot of the pics I've seen, I swear I can still see where the yellow was (more like a light shadow now), but it could just be because I know exactly where it used to be from seeing it for so long and my mind's playing tricks on me...

I would be extremely surprised though if anyone else could see where it was, Hopefully my mind will forget the lines and no longer see them.

I had my Sept '17 X in for unrelated service last week. While there they mentioned they have had good luck with the tool clearing the border issue to-date. They said they would have done it while I was in, but their tool's UV lamp had already burned out and they were awaiting a replacement. We talked about the process a bit, and longevity of the fix - they acknowledged they didn't really know if it was permanent or not. But they also said that while the first UV treatment would be covered for free, future treatments should they become necessary should be available at a minimum cost (they stated $25/visit - not sure if that's real) since the only labor was to attach the device to the screen and pull it off later. This sounds reasonable if it's true. Watertown, MA service center.

• Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I had my Sept '17 X in for unrelated service last week. While there they mentioned they have had good luck with the tool clearing the border issue to-date. They said they would have done it while I was in, but their tool's UV lamp had already burned out and they were awaiting a replacement. We talked about the process a bit, and longevity of the fix - they acknowledged they didn't really know if it was permanent or not. But they also said that while the first UV treatment would be covered for free, future treatments should they become necessary should be available at a minimum cost (they stated $25/visit - not sure if that's real) since the only labor was to attach the device to the screen and pull it off later. This sounds reasonable if it's true. Watertown, MA service center.

As long as the car is under warranty, any charge for this fix is unreasonable. (I know Tesla's position is this is not a warranty item, but that's BS.)