Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the people that feel screwed, don't forget that everybody has gotten a greatly upgraded autopilot experience at no cost, through an OTA update to their cars.

Early reports from the field is that the latest updates offering smart phone opening of the trunk and frunk also give a much better performing autopilot. Should be a little grateful.

The greatly updated experience is still not what was promised long long ago.

• Love
Reactions: CarbonFree
If they estimated, and disclosed that they had something new coming in 30 days, it it did not make that estimate...again people would be disappointed.

They seem to have no problem doing plenty of estimating and disappointing with AP 2.5, auto wipers, automatic emergency braking, etc. and the biggest one of them all: full self driving. They have no qualms pre-announcing and pre-selling upgrades to all of these features, but they can't plan to swap out a screen and a metal box? They had five years.

Last edited:
Just got a response from Telsa Executive escalation team that they will not be making a retrofit available.

Makes sense. There’s no way they’d want to train service center staff to do retrofits, even if it were as simple as a plug and play replacement, which it most likely is not. Adding to an increasingly burdened service center load doesn’t seem like a very productive endeavor.

They seem to have no problem doing plenty of estimating and disappointing with AP 2.5, auto wipers, automatic emergency braking, etc. and the biggest one of them all: full self driving. They have no qualms pre-announcing and pre-selling upgrades to all of these features, but they can't plan to swap out a screen and a metal box? They had five years.

Hah, you think you AP 2.5 folks had it bad, search back for us AP2.0 folks and then you'll know what real disappointment is!

Just got a response from Telsa Executive escalation team that they will not be making a retrofit available.
Did they explain why?
Is it totally impractical that the cost will be prohibitive or cannot be done at all? Like ap1-2?
It is that they don’t want to do it because there isn’t sufficient SC capacity?
Is it that they don’t want to do it because they want people to buy new cars instead?

Did they explain why?
Is it totally impractical that the cost will be prohibitive or cannot be done at all? Like ap1-2?
Is it that they don’t want to do it because they want people to buy new cars instead?

Let's keep escalating. They can't ignore it for long

Did they explain why?

No explanation, but I responded asking why. I also told them that I'm willing to pay and don't expect them to simply absorb this cost.

But I also made the suggestion which Hank had in the other thread about simply skipping certain functionality if possible like such as the 5ghz wifi upgrade or additional bluetooth antenna.

Sadly this doesn't surprise me at all...

Me neither. For now.

But I still think within two years or so, we'll see a retrofit either replacing failed units under warranty, or a full-blown customer paid retrofit program.

I personally don't believe Tesla would abandon all existing MS/MX customers to date since it's now clear all future development will be on the new platform.

A man can dream.

Reactions: DiamondHands
Me neither. For now.

But I still think within two years or so, we'll see a retrofit either replacing failed units under warranty, or a full-blown customer paid retrofit program.

I personally don't believe Tesla would abandon all existing MS/MX customers to date since it's now clear all future development will be on the new platform.

A man can dream.

I think we'll all be calling up HSR motors for upgrades when we decide to do it. I don't think it's a non retrofittable part, I think Tesla just doesn't want to do it.

Reactions: Guy V and Fiver
No explanation, but I responded asking why. I also told them that I'm willing to pay and don't expect them to simply absorb this cost.

But I also made the suggestion which Hank had in the other thread about simply skipping certain functionality if possible like such as the 5ghz wifi upgrade or additional bluetooth antenna.

Send them the link to this thread and show them they have really pissed off some loyal customers

Today, the features of new MCU and old MCU are the same--but that won't be true for long.

As I point out in another thread, soon there will arrive features which need the extra horsepower of the new CPU. Think better maps, all around view, a 24x7 dashcam, better voice recognition, enhanced music, YouTube for passengers, geofencing alerts, wireless CarPlay, Waze integration, etc. Those won't be made available for older cars.

Dream on. This will not happen with the new MCU either. Maybe in the refreshed S/X we'll see these kind of features.
Feature parity between MCU1/MCU2 will continue for a long time.

Reactions: Fiver
Don't worry, all: your Model X or Model S hardworking ownership dollars have made it possible for Tesla to develop a new MCU for you. It just happens to be attached to a Model 3 (and other owners' Xs and Ss).

If you come across one, you know what to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: viper2ko