Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wiring harness changes frequently, and with this new MCU supporting 5G wifi and bluetooth phone-as-key, there are new antennas and wiring and likely significant changes to the MCU and connections to all the other components (like new side mirrors). It's also possible (speculation) that the instrument cluster also changed. It's a major upgrade, and surely not just something plug-swappable.

Wow, I didn't realized that much has changed. If that is the case, then this is just as major of an upgrade as AP1 -> AP2. Actually, from a practical perspective, it is probably much greater as AP2 didn't add any new functions to the car compared to AP1. This one however, has an immediate impact to the user experience and likely opens up a lot of doors moving forward that I can see actually happen in a reasonable amount of time.

I wonder if that means that the IC is now just a second screen off of the MCU instead of an entirely separate computer system. That would certainly make a retro-fit more expensive and complicated.

Isn't the IC run from a system co-located in the unit as the existing MCU, even if it's a different processor? If so, the wiring already runs to the MCU compartment.

Not really redundant. There are some intersections - sure.
But AP needs to know about lanes, and "furniture" not to confuse the radar and cling on to along the way, mapped traffic control devices.

Navigation maps on the other hand need to know various routes, stuff to display to humans, street names, road classes and such.

You can use both at the same time independently - one for trip planning and the other for actual driving.

Thanks, that's actually is exactly what I had in mind, the GPS/Map sharing data with AP, and both systems are constantly coordinating
Just thinking about how level 4 is actually going to work, you need high precision GPS data tell the AP high level plan about line merging, entering/exiting ramp, turning etc. Then AP will control the actual timing, control distance to other objects etc.

The IC based on the reboot with cid probably means it’s just a display device now, but we’ll need to pull off the dash to confirm or get the latest and greatest wiring diagrams.
If that is the case, then retrofit would be a lot more complex, potentially requiring the replacement of the IC display as well.

What I lament about isn’t necessary just the UX speed, but the fact that UX dev effort will focus on the new MCU so those with the older MCU will not longer get additional UX improvements or capalities added.

If that is the case, then retrofit would be a lot more complex, potentially requiring the replacement of the IC display as well.

What I lament about isn’t necessary just the UX speed, but the fact that UX dev effort will focus on the new MCU so those with the older MCU will not longer get additional UX improvements or capalities added.

Exactly, they could add front cams, or 360 cams, or apps or who knows what that requires the new update.

No, but the AP 2.5 100D car has no bearing on the value of the AP 1.0 RWD 85.

That could be, but I imagine the following two scenarios:

Tesla dominates the CPO market, and has two used cars to sell. They are both identical. Meanwhile, they have two buyers who want a Tesla and are willing to pay $50K each. Tesla sets the price of both cars at $50K, and both sell.

Now Tesla has two used cars to sell, but one has more features than the other. Otherwise, they are both identical, as above. They have the same two buyers who are willing to spend up to $50K on their coveted Tesla status symbol.

How do you price those cars? You can't price them both identically, because then only one will sell: nobody is going to pay the same price for an inferior car when viewed side-by-side. So the inferior car must sell at an inferior price. The superior car won't sell at more than $50K, so the inferior car must sell for less: $47K.

The second buyer would accept nothing less than a discount on the inferior car; otherwise they'd just wait around for the next superior model to come up, and buy that for the same $50K, getting a much better deal.

So here you have an example where resale value has nothing to do with the objective utility of a car in isolation, but everything to do with the relative ranking of two cars when compared side by side, forcing the price lower from the top of the market down. Any car which has moved down in rank has lost $3K in resale value; poof.

That could be, but I imagine the following two scenarios:

Tesla dominates the CPO market, and has two used cars to sell. They are both identical. Meanwhile, they have two buyers who want a Tesla and are willing to pay $50K each. Tesla sets the price of both cars at $50K, and both sell.

Now Tesla has two used cars to sell, but one has more features than the other. Otherwise, they are both identical, as above. They have the same two buyers who are willing to spend up to $50K on their coveted Tesla status symbol.

How do you price those cars? You can't price them both identically, because then only one will sell: nobody is going to pay the same price for an inferior car when viewed side-by-side. So the inferior car must sell at an inferior price. The superior car won't sell at more than $50K, so the inferior car must sell for less: $47K.

The second buyer would accept nothing less than a discount on the inferior car; otherwise they'd just wait around for the next superior model to come up, and buy that for the same $50K, getting a much better deal.

So here you have an example where resale value has nothing to do with the objective utility of a car in isolation, but everything to do with the relative ranking of two cars when compared side by side, forcing the price lower from the top of the market down. Any car which has moved down in rank has lost $3K in resale value; poof.
If one car has more features than the other, they are not the same so comparing them is moot. Even if you had two identical used cars, in the same condition, with the same mileage, they could sell for significantly different prices simply because it was raining one day and car sales were slow. Making some wild blanket statement that new update “X” is going to tank the price of the previous cars is baseless at best. There is no evidence that it has happened before and there is no reason to expect it to happen now. In fact, the new MCU is such an invisible change, the vast majority of shoppers would not even notice it.

Guys don’t worry about value too much, unless you are selling right now, value is not measured in dollars. It is about utility, ease and fun. I just want to find out how I can upgrade to the new MCU so the one sore spot of the car (slow UX) will not longer be bad.

My local SC emailed me to say they are not doing retro fits and I have sent an email to Tesla corp to ask. Please do the same with your local SC to get more opinions.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaduman and vraev
Guys don’t worry about value too much, unless you are selling right now, value is not measured in dollars. It is about utility, ease and fun. I just want to find out how I can upgrade to the new MCU so the one sore spot of the car (slow UX) will not longer be bad.

My local SC emailed me to say they are not doing retro fits and I have sent an email to Tesla corp to ask. Please do the same with your local SC to get more opinions.

Dang. That is truly disappointing. I guess it is inevitable. I was happy that I got a 2.5 car, but we have already been trumped by a nice bump in the MCU. Well...I can't wait to see how the story develops. What has changed and whether we can actually pay to get this upgrade in 2.0/2.5 cars?

I would imagine that if Tesla can do a retrofit, at a price that the market will pay, and also make them a profit, that the retrofit will be offered.

However, like most enhancements, it is often the case that to do the retrofit correctly, the costs may be too high for the consumer to pay.

I saw Tesla retrofitting a ton of 75 S and X vehicles to a higher level of performance...for FREE!. Lots of owners got a free upgrade just by stopping by their friendly local service center, and in a few cases by a traveling Tesla mechanic.

I fee that if the upgrade is something that Tesla can easily and inexpensively do, they will offer it. If not....

From what I’m reading this still seems like an easy upgrade. Physical dimensions of components don’t appear to have changed. Connections to antennas for Bluetooth and 5Ghz can be left out without hindering software. If there is a different connection to a revised instrument cluster display then add the new IC display to the cost but again the physical dimensions should be the same.

I doubt they’ve added or changed other sensors/cameras as those are handled by the autopilot system. I can’t see what would prevent the update at least on 2.5 cars except Tesla’s refusal.

Reactions: CarbonFree