Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through the whole thread hoping for someone to have some good news, but it looks like we're out of luck.
Unfortunate, that's an upgrade I'd gladly pay for :(

In a year of ownership that's 2.5 AP and MCU2. I'm most likely gonna lease my next Tesla....

I went through the whole thread hoping for someone to have some good news, but it looks like we're out of luck.

In a year of ownership that's 2.5 AP and MCU2. I'm most likely gonna lease my next Tesla....
So every other car you have owned has had been upgraded to the newest hardware for the duration of your ownership?

I used to work in automotive, in the supply chain. One of the coolest things I worked on didn't even make it onto a car until 3 years after I left the company because it didn't fit into a "lifecycle impulse" refresh cycle. So meanwhile it just sat there and collected dust until it was 3 years outdated anyway.

Part of the Tesla ownership experience is accepting that basically every 2-3 months something changes about the car. It might be something you care about, it might not. But whenever they seem to have something ready, they put it in the car. Their rate of feature introduction is pretty crazy for automotive, so yeah, a year or two into ownership, the next car looks really really shiny. This seems totally unlike most automakers who have a 3+2 or 5+3 type of lifecycle where most model years don't add much, and "everyone" knows when the big refresh is coming.

Promised? As in, you read something someone said about something, or did someone actually promise you something particular? I think a lot of people expand a comment into a promise, which it is not.
When its written on a companies website when you order the product: "automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near,." that's a promise to me.

You can either lease 3 Tesla's in a 9 year period or own two of them outright making the same amount of payments.

No win situation unless you are fortunate with unlimited wealth.

When its written on a companies website when you order the product: "automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near,." that's a promise to me.

Being older if not wiser, I have learned that such quotes are not promises, but goals. I hope you manage your disappointment or move to another vehicle that satisfies your expectations. Somehow I don't need Autopilot v.2.335 to make me happy, as I like to drive, change my own lanes, transition myself, so obviously, I just don't understand your pain.

You can either lease 3 Tesla's in a 9 year period or own two of them outright making the same amount of payments.

No win situation unless you are fortunate with unlimited wealth.

Haha, exactly. You can still sign a lease today and have AP3 come out tomorrow, and be faced with a situation where "just wait 2 years and 364 days" doesn't sound like reassurance at all.

If you're the kind of person that must have the latest and greatest, there's a path for that involving your wallet. And leasing isn't necessarily a much better solution.

I used to work in automotive, in the supply chain. One of the coolest things I worked on didn't even make it onto a car until 3 years after I left the company because it didn't fit into a "lifecycle impulse" refresh cycle. So meanwhile it just sat there and collected dust until it was 3 years outdated anyway.

Part of the Tesla ownership experience is accepting that basically every 2-3 months something changes about the car. It might be something you care about, it might not. But whenever they seem to have something ready, they put it in the car. Their rate of feature introduction is pretty crazy for automotive, so yeah, a year or two into ownership, the next car looks really really shiny. This seems totally unlike most automakers who have a 3+2 or 5+3 type of lifecycle where most model years don't add much, and "everyone" knows when the big refresh is coming.

I have a dilemma...

I want the latest and greatest car - and I also don't want my neighbor to have a better car than me!

What do you suggest I should do?

Well at least I can walk over and torch my neighbor's car! My problem is there's people on the internet who have better cars than me. What do I do?????

:D

Lots you can do!

Write an open letter to Elon

Vent on TMC

Earn validation from other TMC'ers who never heard about Osborne effect - Wikipedia nor know anything about operating a business in the real world.

Vote disagree to anyone outside of your ideological echo chamber that cant just "understand" how badly you have been wronged.
(Your disagree matters twice as much when you've never owned or driven a Tesla)

I'm sure I missed a few but in the meantime, I hope this helps you understand your hurt even if it can't take it away.

The 5 Stages of Grief & Loss | Psych Central

People.

Lets think.

What is the no 1 reason you can think of, that it WONT be possible to retrofit? Ignore Tesla’s possible motivations for a moment, I want a little brainstorm on technical reasons u can think of.

For the sake of this thread.

Maintenance complexity. I'm an engineer and the compatibility matrix I currently have to test for already covers 100+ configurations that take different codepaths, mainly due to manufacturing component sourcing diversity. Every configuration added is a finite number of hours that it'd take for me to implement initial support for it and constant overhead cost for every time I want to make a change.

I can see an argument for why it's not worth the overhead to add a retrofit configuration. It seems like between the changes to the wifi chip and the possible changes to the IC, this new MCU is not necessarily just a plug and play. Even if it's technically possible to retrofit, it's not just the one time labor cost of putting a new head unit in. And for a manufacturer that's already arguably behind schedule on just about all of their deliverables, it's arguably prudent that they don't take on extra credit work, as much as it hurts me to say as someone with a MCU1.

People.

Lets think.

What is the no 1 reason you can think of, that it WONT be possible to retrofit? Ignore Tesla’s possible motivations for a moment, I want a little brainstorm on technical reasons u can think of.

Possible a new screen and IC. I think they can do the retrofit. But swapping the whole MCU wontw be worth it for them monetarily

Maintenance complexity. I'm an engineer and the compatibility matrix I currently have to test for already covers 100+ configurations that take different codepaths, mainly due to manufacturing component sourcing diversity. Every configuration added is a finite number of hours that it'd take for me to implement initial support for it and constant overhead cost for every time I want to make a change.

I can see an argument for why it's not worth the overhead to add a retrofit configuration. It seems like between the changes to the wifi chip and the possible changes to the IC, this new MCU is not necessarily just a plug and play. Even if it's technically possible to retrofit, it's not just the one time labor cost of putting a new head unit in. And for a manufacturer that's already arguably behind schedule on just about all of their deliverables, it's arguably prudent that they don't take on extra credit work, as much as it hurts me to say as someone with a MCU1.

I got the Hepa retrofit and towing package added post delivery. I was "feeling" that these were not going to last once the 3 arrived and I was right.

TOW PACKAGE AVAILABLE ON SHOP. $1250

Even if Tesla were to charge you to upgrade to MCU2 for it, almost no amount of money is worth it given their "being behind on schedule ON EVERYTHING".

Lastly, Tesla had NO BUSINESS uncorking my Model X in late 2017 after taking delivery in late 2016.
They also had no business doing it for free, and providing me a free loaner to use.

I asked nicely and had -zero expectation- going in. However, I got the VIP treatment. Coffee at Costa Mesa could use some work though.. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DiamondHands
People.

Lets think.

Easy. For such a big change as a new MCU, it allowed all the engineers and bean-counters to step back and brainstorm "What else can we fix/upgrade/optimize/reduce out of this aging system that was designed about 10 years ago?"

Imagine all the enhancements to connectors, wiring harness layouts, module locations, or even the modules themselves that are now all options to upgrade or enhance to reduce complexity, reduce costs, improve maintenance, make repairs and future upgrades easier, etc. I wonder how many times a Tesla engineer said "aw, crap! why did we design this thing this way, when this other way is so much better, now knowing what we know now!!?!?!" Hindsight is 20/20. Now they actually get to go in and fix all those things that have been dogging them for years.

Take for example the Instrument Cluster. Perhaps in 2010 or whenever, there was no option to drive a second display from the Tegra (or some constraint that prevented it).. so they were forced to add a second dedicated processor to drive that screen, connected via ethernet... now, they can get rid of all that extra cost and complexity and failure points by just supporting a dual display setup on the Intel board.

I can imagine they've also implemented a virtual SIM card, so cell networks and countries can be changed on the fly, without the need to remove the CID and swap a physical SIM.

A another good example is the move to solid-state fuses like in the Model 3. Has anyone checked if these new MCU2 cars no longer have fuses boxes? Now would be a great time to make big changes like that.

And these are just the big things I can think of as a non-Tesla engineer in 10 minutes. Imagine what the engineers themselves would be able to come up with when given the chance of a nearly blank slate to re-do all the mistakes or mis-steps still lingering from the original design.