Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror not folding out completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I reported this to my SC, they told me that would order me a pair of mirrors, but that they mirrors are on back-order, and they have no expected date when they will be available. I suspect that they are having an issue with their supplier and perhaps the supplier's QC process...

Same problem here on my 7 day old car, with the passenger side mirror....can't get the service team here in San Diego to do anything in a competent fashion unfortunately. Love the car but dealing with sales, delivery and service Tesla employees here has been just awful.

Same issue as described by other owners.I let the SC know and they will call back to set up an appointment when the replacement passenger side mirror is in stock. In the meantime I am pressing the open & close mirror button when I notice the mirror hasn't fully extended. It stinks because a lot of time I notice it only when I'm already driving and need to check my side for a lance change or a turn. Its not a common occurrence but I am curious about what is really going on?

I am having the same issue on my 2 weeks old MS 90D. The passenger side mirror doesn't unfold completely and when I push the fold/unfold button a few times it extends fully. When it does that I can hear a noise when it is extending like something is too tight. I am taking note of all the little things to not have to drop the car at a SC too many times,

My right side mirror started doing this the other day it's been cold but the cars never seen rain and lives in the garage.

Anyone got the disassembly instructions?

I really really really really don't want to go back to the service center unless I absolutely have to. Takes forever and they are not as careful with the car as I am.

My right side mirror started doing this the other day it's been cold but the cars never seen rain and lives in the garage.

Anyone got the disassembly instructions?

I really really really really don't want to go back to the service center unless I absolutely have to. Takes forever and they are not as careful with the car as I am.
My car is at the service center getting a few things looked at and one of the issues is the side mirror not folding. According to the service tech who checked my car in, the issue with the non-folding side mirror is due to a software bug that will be fixed during a future update. At least that's the story for now.

Sad.
Happened to my driver's side window this morning (8 day old car).

now I know what is happening. I didn't notice it until I was driving, and could not get the mirror to orient towards the correct direction.

I'll try nudging it if it happens again.
:(

I picked up my car today and have the same problem. Driver's side mirror doesn't open automatically all the way. Even using the button doesn't work at times, I have to open the windows and push manually.
The passenger door doesn't quite close correctly either. It requires more than normal force to close. SC said that would fix itself in a month, but I'm skeptical.
A little worrisome to have two quality issues in the first 5 miles.

Just tested it out again. It happens almost every time now. If I use the button to close the mirrors all the way, opening with the button leads to same problem. However, if I push the button to close and the push the button a second time, before the mirrors have fully closed, it opens fully every time.
This has not happened on the passenger side even once.
When the driver's doesn't open correctly, the mirror is "off its track" and can be easily moved back and forth by hand.

Update: Ranger (not Chuck Norris) replicated the problem, says it's a SW fix that will be rolled out OTA "sometime next month." He said he's been called out for this a number of times over the last few weeks, unfortunately.
Thanks for the data point - we shall see if it is fixed.

I will say I had the incomplete unfolding mirror problem on the driver's side (~2 weeks out from delivery). Updated to .185 this morning and haven't experienced it yet, but will report back.

I had my car in for its annual maintenance last week, so I asked them to check the mirror folding (again). The driver side mirror worked for them at the time, and for the passenger side, they said "Mirror and motor found to be out of sync. Reset and calibrated mirror and motor." I'm not sure what it means to be "out of sync" or to "calibrate" them - seems a bit like fake tech language to me. In any case, they have been working a bit better but still get stuck partly folded or unfolded after a good dose of winter dirt and ice gets in them. I'm hoping for a software fix to run the motors longer, but it's not a big deal. I've gotten used to checking them and hitting the button twice to complete the extend/retract as needed.