Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for now just add the widget to your screen which still reads in miles.

IMG_8FF8BD007582-1.jpeg

You must have been upgraded to a high-class Eastern Australian upgrade. Miles are like another language to me and whichever states of Australia are currently in ‘daylight savings time’, which means the clock goes an hour forward.

I always thought that the UK was metric for everything and not imperial?

You must have been upgraded to a high-class Eastern Australian upgrade. Miles are like another language to me and whichever states of Australia are currently in ‘daylight savings time’, which means the clock goes an hour forward.

I always thought that the UK was metric for everything and not imperial?
We use both, apparently randomly.

We talk about pints of milk, but it's sold in litres. We drink beer in pints. We measure fuel economy in miles per gallon but petrol is sold in litres. We measure long distances in miles and short distances in centimetres. Half the population knows their height in feet and the other half in metres, and neither knows the other measurement.

We use both, apparently randomly.

We talk about pints of milk, but it's sold in litres. We drink beer in pints. We measure fuel economy in miles per gallon but petrol is sold in litres. We measure long distances in miles and short distances in centimetres. Half the population knows their height in feet and the other half in metres, and neither knows the other measurement.
Thank you for this response, Tony! This is wild and enlightening haha.

Is it safe to assume that there is no real understanding of any measurement and these are all just buzz words? 😜

Also, the measurement of beer is unimportant as long as it’s plentiful! (I was going to add cold but I don’t believe that’s a requirement on your side of the bay)

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Somehow we understand all these different measurements mostly through using them all our lives... I have no real conceptual idea of a km because I've always used miles.. mph is fine. Tell me your speed in kph and I can't relate that to anything I know so I'm guessing. Equally cm and mm are very familiar to me and when I hear people talking in inches it's like a foreign language (all those fractions!).

Is it safe to assume that there is no real understanding of any measurement and these are all just buzz words? 😜
I don't know why we measure fuel economy in miles per gallon as I literally have no idea what a gallon is. I dimly remember buying petrol in gallons when I was young, but even then you never get to actually see how big a gallon is. If I ever need to know what a gallon is, I have to look it up - and then I promptly forget it again.

I don't know why we measure fuel economy in miles per gallon as I literally have no idea what a gallon is. I dimly remember buying petrol in gallons when I was young, but even then you never get to actually see how big a gallon is. If I ever need to know what a gallon is, I have to look it up - and then I promptly forget it again.

Generally stuff that was sold in big cans (e.g. motor oil, large windscreen wash container) was by the gallon. When we went metric this became the 5 litre can or plastic equivalent. For general estimation purposes you can think of a gallon as that quantity. (The real metric quantity is 4.54 litres per imperial gallon ... and just to confuse things further when talking internationally we have to remember that the US gallon is smaller at 3.78 litres)

Reactions: Yachtsman and Roy B
We talk about pints of milk, but it's sold in litres.

Milk is still sold in pints ... litres too, but mostly pints. (The fact that we barely notice shows how much difference it makes!) There was a huge kerfuffle when metric was coming in and we were in the EC and would potentially not be able to buy a pint of milk or a pint of beer ... it was the Brexit thing before Brexit was even invented ... so there was some kind of deal that allowed certain items to be sold in their old imperial quantities... and that's continued to this day. I'm not sure if there was anything other than milk and beer as the exceptions.

Mine come in 2 litre bottles and I could get 1 litre ones if I wanted but not pint without going for glass bottles (which don't come in larger sizes so aren't practical for a weekly delivery).
Surprisingly all standard supermarket own brand fresh milk containers are still in pints though there are of course lots options of brands selling litres (eg Cravendale).

Moderation comment - thread renamed to include general 4.4 discussion from "Mobile app 4.4.0 gone metric?"

Since updating to 4.4.0 my mobile app (iOS) seems to have decided to show stuff in kilometres rather than miles (so range and last charging session for example). Anyone else seeing the same?
Yes... I tend to use % so it isn't a big issue, but irritating.