Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I don't know the local geography, is going the other direction (via Hume Hwy) an option? I just had a look at PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! and it seems there are Telsa HPWC owners in both Wangaratta and Eurobin who may be able to help.

Yep thanks Chuq. I've got the Hume route via Wangaratta as my primary option at this stage, just investigating alternatives. I wouldn't take the car up through Hotham so would leave it in Harrietville if I went that way, so the Omeo route has the possible advantage of driving all the way to the house at Dinner Plain. Not certain yet whether the cons outweigh the pros as yet though (assuming the Bairnsdale charging option is even viable)!

Another question: is anyone on the forum in Bairnsdale, Victoria or nearby and have a 6kW connection available by chance? I met a guy at the Richmond opening that probably fits that bill but other than his first name I don't have any details to get in touch with him, so hopefully he might be on the forum. I'm looking at possible options for getting to Dinner Plain in August and a day in Bairnsdale might be one way to do it if I can charge at 6kW rather than using the UMC.

Might be worthwhile asking Moemoke and see if he has any local knowledge.

Hi all, I'd like to tap into the overall brains trust here. I'd like to get set up with the right charging cables to best suit travelling around and thought that a simple list of recommended bits and pieces would be useful.

The standard UMC with it's 10A connector is useful, and I see that there the 30A J1772 to Menakes Type 2 would be handy - J1772 to Type 2 Adapter but am also interested in 20A & 32A 3 phase options.
At home the 32A single phase that I have is enough as the car is there overnight, but on the open road I want to be able to use 3 phase if there is one available.
What recommendations and options are there? Also, how do you go about finding places with three phase other than on plusher, which appears to be woefully inaccurate and incomplete for Australia. It still has lots of better place chargers listed, and lists some as available when they aren't.

Hi all, I'd like to tap into the overall brains trust here. I'd like to get set up with the right charging cables to best suit travelling around and thought that a simple list of recommended bits and pieces would be useful.

The standard UMC with it's 10A connector is useful, and I see that there the 30A J1772 to Menakes Type 2 would be handy - J1772 to Type 2 Adapter but am also interested in 20A & 32A 3 phase options.
At home the 32A single phase that I have is enough as the car is there overnight, but on the open road I want to be able to use 3 phase if there is one available.
What recommendations and options are there? Also, how do you go about finding places with three phase other than on plusher, which appears to be woefully inaccurate and incomplete for Australia. It still has lots of better place chargers listed, and lists some as available when they aren't.

The only one you haven't listed is the type 2 to type 2 for the type 2 sockets there is a couple of these around the country Brisbane Melbourne most are in perth. (the odd working better place) maybe not enough to justify the expense but worth adding to the list. plugshare.com is most actuate where there are EV drivers I don't trust any entry without a photo or a couple checks ins

Last edited:
The only one you haven't listed is the type 2 to type 2 for the type 2 sockets there is a couple of these around the country Brisbane Melbourne most are in perth. (the odd working better place) maybe not enough to justify the expense but worth adding to the list. plugshare.com is most actuate where there are EV drivers I don't trust any entry without a photo or a couple checks ins

So what are people using for the 3 phase 32A plugs?

Thanks for this - but what charger?

I'm guessing that an upcoming connector for the Tesla UMC will be a 56P532 but the rumour is that it will be limited to 16 Amps three phase.
There is also a third party 3 phase mobile connector that a few people have imported from Europe but I can't find it right now.
Mat @Heosat used one for his Sydney to Melbourne trip earlier this year.

I'm guessing that an upcoming connector for the Tesla UMC will be a 56P532 but the rumour is that it will be limited to 16 Amps three phase.
There is also a third party 3 phase mobile connector that a few people have imported from Europe but I can't find it right now.
Mat @Heosat used one for his Sydney to Melbourne trip earlier this year.

Cheers - that's what I'm looking for - the UMC is only rated at 16A 3 Phase, so 10kW, but I have dual chargers. It'd be nice to be able to take advantage of all available power sources and on a long trip charging at 100km/h is highly desirable over 50 or less. That'd make a lunch stop on the way to Port Macquarie worthwhile and mean arriving with around 150km left rather than 50. Even in my ICE I get nervous at sub 50 km range.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone tried one of these? http://www.e-station-store.com/en/portable-charging-stations/36-evr3-type-2-max-22-kw-portable-charging-station.html
I'm assuming that it'd need to have the connector changed to a 56P532 to work here but does look interesting.

The commonest place to find those 3 phase connectors is in a marina. Industry may have them, but most factories with machines using 3 phase are hard wired. The 3 phase at my home is used for air con and my lift. Both are, of course hard wired and my Wall connector, when it finally arrives will also be hard wired. The only reason to have a 3 phase socket is if you need to regularly disconnect the equipment. Welding machines might fall into this category. I think you might find it quite difficult to find ubiquitous sockets for 3 phase out in the wild. Even at my marina, the sockets are only at the boats or on the handstand which is not really car accessible unless after hours and by VERY special arrangement.

When you calculate 3 phase power it is usually 1.73 * single phase voltage * amps. at 240v this means a 16 amp per phase supply is around 6.6kw. Does this equation not apply for 3 phase supply to a rectifier.

You've got that equation the wrong way round: it's either;

(single phase voltage) * (amps) * 3

or:

(phase-to-phase voltage) * (amps) * 1.732

So for a 240V phase-to-neutral (415V phase-to-phase) supply at 16A, that gives 11.5kW - the limit for single charger Model S.

The commonest place to find those 3 phase connectors is in a marina. Industry may have them, but most factories with machines using 3 phase are hard wired. The 3 phase at my home is used for air con and my lift. Both are, of course hard wired and my Wall connector, when it finally arrives will also be hard wired. The only reason to have a 3 phase socket is if you need to regularly disconnect the equipment. Welding machines might fall into this category. I think you might find it quite difficult to find ubiquitous sockets for 3 phase out in the wild. Even at my marina, the sockets are only at the boats or on the handstand which is not really car accessible unless after hours and by VERY special arrangement.

That was my original thought as well, although it seems that a number of workshops have them and some are willing to share - the real trick will be finding those places. When the Tesla 3 phase wall unit is available I'd guess that our best option is to get as many set up as destination chargers as possible - potentially at inland places first off where they are away from the Mel-Syd-Bris run of superchargers. A 20kW charger in Orange or Bathurst would open that entire area up, complimenting superchargers and being very cheap to install. 100km/h is a lot more palatable than 50km/h.

Mark I think that the best option is for Tesla to become more ambitious about the Australian supercharger network. Sales here have been stronger than they expected, they'll be even stronger with the X, and they will need to offer more than Melbourne to Brisbane coverage of they expect the Model III to sell well here. The Model III will be very appealing to country people as they will escape the 'country tax' on petrol prices that they currently pay but the restricted availability of high speed charging will hamper sales.

Mark I think that the best option is for Tesla to become more ambitious about the Australian supercharger network. Sales here have been stronger than they expected, they'll be even stronger with the X, and they will need to offer more than Melbourne to Brisbane coverage of they expect the Model III to sell well here. The Model III will be very appealing to country people as they will escape the 'country tax' on petrol prices that they currently pay but the restricted availability of high speed charging will hamper sales.

I agree totally about the SC network - although in many cases getting the destination charging going, especially with 3 phase chargers, would be complimentary, cheaper and faster to implement. It'd also play nicely with the SC network since many people could destination charge and skip some of the SC's altogether. Eg its pretty easy to drive to Orange from Sydney in an S85 - its about 45kWh according to Ev Trip Planner. Coming back you only need 35kWh since it's downhill. A 20kW charger at either a hotel or winery in Orange would put more than enough in over lunch to make a day trip possible, and an overnight trip simple.

Of course a SC in Bathurst or Lithgow would be fantastic, but since the destination chargers are only around $1000 ea Tesla could put a heap of them around the region with businesses who really do want you to visit and stay. I know that I'm already looking at the destination charger map to find places to go - and with a complete fill-up costing the location about $20 max at 24c/kWh its a pretty good way to attract customers. If they charge for it then its even better for them.

I agree that we need destination chargers but they are different from superchargers. If I want to drive to Adelaide I don't want to do it in 3 days with overnight charging stops no matter how charming and appealing they are as end destinations
100% agree. If they cover the main arterial roads with SC's then destination chargers expand the loop either side by 400km. With the Melb to Adelaide trip the question would be - do you go via Hamilton or Horsham?