Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 breaks record for cross country drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised that there's no bad publicity this time complaining that you have to wear arctic clothes in a Tesla:)

I think everyone understands sacrifices you make for range at this point, at least in an extreme situation like this. Cannonball runs are different than your trip to see the in-laws for Christmas, which is probably why there's no outcry. LOL

Reactions: Tam
So any speculation on what might be possible with the new Roadster? Is that going to be more limited by Law Enforcement than by charging times, more like an ICE?

This trip averaged 56 mph INCLUDING charging, right? Near as I can tell, the slowest leg between Superchargers would have been about 80 mph, with the fastest in the 90's. The Roadster will be faster, likely as efficient, but with faster charging and twice the range.

So any speculation on what might be possible with the new Roadster? Is that going to be more limited by Law Enforcement than by charging times, more like an ICE?

This trip averaged 56 mph INCLUDING charging, right? Near as I can tell, the slowest leg between Superchargers would have been about 80 mph, with the fastest in the 90's. The Roadster will be faster, likely as efficient, but with faster charging and twice the range.

That depends...will it be faster charging mile per mile compared to S/X/3, or will it be faster as a percentage of its range?

If it can recharge at the same rate as the others, it's still at a disadvantage since it has twice as much battery to fill.

I see blue flashing lights at 5min33sec into the time-lapse video

Very observing indeed, thanks! I now see red and blue flashing lights and the car stopped in Oklahoma interstate freeway right shoulder from TLC200 2017/12/29 22:43 to 22:57 or about 14 minutes!

upload_2018-1-3_17-30-22.png

A sustained 56 mph drive over unlimited distance in an EV circa 2017 is amazing.
I'm having trouble figuring out how it is even possible

After all,
even if they were able to average 1C charging, a minute of downtime gave them 1333 Wh they spent recouping the minute and averaging 56 mph.

Crazy good results from the Model 3.

A sustained 56 mph drive over unlimited distance in an EV circa 2017 is amazing.
I'm having trouble figuring out how it is even possible

After all,
even if they were able to average 1C charging, a minute of downtime gave them 1333 Wh they spent recouping the minute and averaging 56 mph.

Crazy good results from the Model 3.

If you stop every 200 miles for 40 minutes, and average 69mph while actually driving it works out about right to average the 56mph they accomplished.

True, but that result would require a car efficiency of 5 miles per minute charging, At 69 mph ? In the winter ?

I suppose in the realm of possible, but just barely
I just decided to assume that they were aiming for 40 minute charges to avoid time-wasting taper. With 40 minute charges, that was the way the math worked out... once there's more data we'll see how close I was.