Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because there was a couple comments in here about how it was going to be so much faster
Majority of poster sentiment was that it'd be impossible that it would come in under $60-$65k MSRP. I think unrealistic expectations are the cause of both.

Tesla fixed or mitigated all the criticisms of the previous M3P that made it come up short in the sport sedan market relative to competition. They managed to do that while staying under the historical cost differential to M3LR. Why does it need to be any more than that?

9.6s 60-130 puts it around the same performance as the G80 M3 Competition. (According to Car and Driver). That car does the 1/4 mile in 11.0@124. Sounds like the new M3P will be squarely in the same ballpark which i think is the right benchmark, considering one costs $47.5-$55k and the other is almost double the price.

Reactions: ChuckM3P
I don't think anyone said it would be quicker than a Model S LR for 60-130 mph. The Model S LR traps ~130 mph in the 1/4 mile.

This was the comment I was referencing
“I timed the new m3p acceleration with a video editing software, and compared the times in a table to the old m3p.
The differences above 60mph are dramatic.
This new m3p should leave dust to the Model S long range in a 1/4 mile run”

This was the comment I was referencing
“I timed the new m3p acceleration with a video editing software, and compared the times in a table to the old m3p.
The differences above 60mph are dramatic.
This new m3p should leave dust to the Model S long range in a 1/4 mile run”
1/4 mile times and 60-130 mph times are two totally different things. The 60 foot time affects 1/4 mile times more than anything. The Model S LR has a deplorable 60' time. That really hurts the 1/4 mile time for it. 60-130 mph is all about power. The Model S LR will have a tremendously quicker 60-130 mph time. The 1/4 mile time? Not so much.

1/4 mile times and 60-130 mph times are two totally different things. The 60 foot time affects 1/4 mile times more than anything. The Model S LR has a deplorable 60' time. That really hurts the 1/4 mile time for it. 60-130 mph is all about power. The Model S LR will have a tremendously quicker 60-130 mph time. The 1/4 mile time? Not so much.
I would divide the 60-130mph to two areas:
1. 60-100mph
2. 100-130mph

The performance in #1 is relevant daily on the streets. The performance in #2 is relevant only on the track, or when someone really wants to lose his license for a very long time.

The performance in #1 could be much better (or at least as good) with the new m3p than with MSLR.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I would divide the 60-130mph to two areas:
1. 60-100mph
2. 100-130mph

The performance in #1 is relevant daily on the streets. The performance in #2 is relevant only on the track, or when someone really wants to lose his license for a very long time.

The performance in #1 could be much better (or at least as good) with the new m3p than with MSLR.
1. 60-80mph freeway/highway
2. 80-100mph backroads ticket risk
3. 100-130mph road course (tracking)
IMO

As a side note, I have a theory as to why Tesla raised the price to $54,990 other than the typical match production to demand scenario.

A lot of people still haven’t gotten the LR M3 they ordered awhile ago as Tesla kind of botched that ramp up anecdotally. So once the M3P came out and people were still sitting on their LR orders, I believe a lot of them switched their orders to M3P as it was cheaper after the tax credit.

So now if people didn’t switch their orders already, it’s a borderline decision to swap or not especially if you got anything other than the stealth gray color. Plus the differences between the two models a person may or may not like.

I’m still surprised Tesla hasn’t lowered the M3 LR price back closer to its $45,990 release date price. I imagine it’s for the classic production vs demand scenario and they’re just now catching up on those orders.

I think Tesla also wants to funnel people to the LR model for now, as evidenced by the (likely highest) $54,990 price on the M3P.

At this point they should probably just switch the US LR back to the Panasonic battery. There's such a glut of model Ys now that it's not like they really need to save those batteries for the Y. Then maybe eliminate the RWD model altogether or use a similar strategy to the Y where there's a long range RWD with the Panasonic battery.

Reactions: phantasms
At this point they should probably just switch the US LR back to the Panasonic battery. There's such a glut of model Ys now that it's not like they really need to save those batteries for the Y. Then maybe eliminate the RWD model altogether or use a similar strategy to the Y where there's a long range RWD with the Panasonic battery.
That M3 RWD is helluva car for $38,990 IMO coupled with the LFP battery. A fantastic daily driver or commuter for a lot of people. We likely won’t see any LFP production in the USA any time soon though (for tax credit).

I agree the LR should have the same Panasonic battery, it does in my 2021 LR. I think the issue is not enough supply output from Nevada.

That M3 RWD is helluva car for $38,990 IMO coupled with the LFP battery. A fantastic daily driver or commuter for a lot of people. We likely won’t see any LFP production in the USA any time soon though (for tax credit).

I agree the LR should have the same Panasonic battery, it does in my 2021 LR. I think the issue is not enough supply output from Nevada.
This was my understanding as well. Similar to the 4680 batteries.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Very disappointing

Ordered the 2024 M3 Performance on April 24th

Estimated Delivery June
A week later changed to May14-June 17
A few days later changed to May 18-June 4
Today changed to July 6-Aug 18

I'm never going to get it.

As I'm typing this post, UPS dropped off the new glass protector for the new M3P screen that's coming someday.

I'm going to stop ordering stuff for the new car until I get a vin # if that ever happens.

The way I calculate:
The old m3p did 1/4 mile in 11.5 seconds (the numbers in the video I've posted were taken from such a 11.5 seconds run). The new m3p is 1.1 seconds faster at 100mph than the old one, and the difference becomes only bigger as speed grows. 1/4 mile for sure will arrive after 100mph, meaning the difference in 1/4 mile between the new and old m3p should be more than 1.1 seconds, putting the new m3p faster than 10.4 seconds (11.5 minus 1.1).

I think the logic here is sound.

Your reasoning is not sound at all, it is absolutely wrong.

This basic physics and you visibly skipped newtonian physics classes :) (or you forgot ^^)

200w (8).gif