Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woke up excited as I was scheduled to pickup at 2:00pm today, but that was extinguished by a voicemail from my SA mentioning the car went through inspection and was subsequently placed in a “containment hold which is a recall that we need to take care of before we can deliver it”.

Does anyone know what this could mean more specifically?

They said they cant have it fixed until Wednesday. Welp.. the wait goes on for 4 more long days :’)

• Informative
Reactions: arkhos
I was under the impression from the other thread that folks were pretty sure the AWD-E had the same pack. Maybe that hasn't been confirmed yet.
We are 99% confident it is a Nevada pack since the monroney changed to show 70% US content versus the previous cars which had much less and showed China as a major source and now it doesn’t.

Reactions: diamond.g
Here are some tint references
55% Windshield
5% back
15% front
Ceramic XR Plus
Came out to about $1k after tax (overpriced I’m aware)
F7AF6D1C-8559-48C1-9E18-3E832980BBDD.jpeg
A713D8D1-337D-4C42-B52E-0375FB1BC67E.jpeg
D664F3CD-458F-4896-AC0C-E21A59184A6B.jpeg
3921A9EC-BC45-4D44-A35D-DE40DF0F8DD6.jpeg

Another thing that I have heard much was with the turn signals. For some reason my brain thinks that the left should be on top and right on bottom. I’ve heard someone say it once and always thought no way that sounds right lol.

Reactions: jennieR and arkhos
I'm about to tap out, fellas.
4/23 order date, 1:05pm time.
I changed my order from UR/BLK to BLK/BLK a few times so I'm sure that didnt help my cause.
Oh well. No VIN yet, EDD still Jul 3-31.
I wonder if I could get a refund of order fee since when I ordered, it stated May-June on website.
Give it another week if you can. I was 1:00pm and just got my vin overnight. My EDD range was the same exact as yours as well.

I took the car to the track. It's amazing. I of course forgot to hit the camera on my hot lap, and didn't make a track mode folder so I lost all telemetery. That said, it's amazing. I could smell the brakes, but that's prob just the first track day cook off. I need to get race fluid in the car, though I didn't feel any fade, I also didn't push it super hard. I love the traction control preset to minimal, or whatever it was just before off. It allows you to feel like you're driving the car but won't let you get too carried away. I got up to 140 on the straight where I think I only hit 125 on my 2020. THE SEATS. My god, I'm finally not holding on for dear life, the seats kept me right where I needed to be.

@M3PDenver awesome! What track is that? HPR? I’ve never tracked a car, (never had one worth it) but now that I have one worthwhile, I want to do it. Low-key, probably in grandma mode for a couple laps without a lot of other traffic. What’s your recommendation for Colorado?

Edit - another reply was preloaded or something to another post that I didn’t ever reply to. Deleted that reference

Last edited:
I'm about to tap out, fellas.
4/23 order date, 1:05pm time.
I changed my order from UR/BLK to BLK/BLK a few times so I'm sure that didnt help my cause.
Oh well. No VIN yet, EDD still Jul 3-31.
I wonder if I could get a refund of order fee since when I ordered, it stated May-June on website.
Probably not, with the fact that you changed what you ordered several times. Tesla doesnt refund that order fee anyway, but just because forum wisdom says "changing your order doesnt reset your place in line" doesnt actually make that so.

Since I am sure you have read along at least up to this point, you probably noticed (Like I have) that, for all the belly aching by everyone about changing EDD (im not going to say "EDD dates because that would be Estimates delivery date dates), Most of the people on here that had a june time frame when they ordered look like they are going to take delivery (or have taken delivery) before the end of june.

Its not like I am trying to convince you of anything, because im not a Tesla employee, and also do not have any Tesla stock or anything so its not like I really care whether people buy or not financially. I only care from a "hate to see someone give up out of misplaced frustration" reason.

Anyway, Its unlikely that someone that changed their order (more than once per your description) is going to have much luck with "car wasnt delivered as promised so I want my order fee back", but you certainly could ask.

Anyone care to guess the true percentage of stealh grays out there? I think the tracker here indicates close to 50% but I’m thinking it could actually be higher, close to 60% maybe? Stealth gray will literally be everywhere it’s crazy.

Since thats the only color combo that qualifies for the tax credit (unless someone ordered first couple of days) for a large number of people any other color but that one will be $7500 more. Thats a LOT to pay for a color (more than BMW regular individual color prices for example).

Unless tesla lowers the price of the others, or makes other colors free, most Model 3 Performance highlands are likely to be stealth grey.

Here are some tint references
55% Windshield
5% back
15% front
Ceramic XR Plus
Came out to about $1k after tax (overpriced I’m aware)
View attachment 1058864View attachment 1058865View attachment 1058866View attachment 1058867
Another thing that I have heard much was with the turn signals. For some reason my brain thinks that the left should be on top and right on bottom. I’ve heard someone say it once and always thought no way that sounds right lol.
Beautiful tint! Also, here’s how I “re-wired” my brain for the turn signals - that piece of the steering wheel right by the signals? Which way are you going to move the wheel to turn? Press the button in that direction.
Maybe wont work for a lot of people, but completely solved the problem for me - specially on those awkward situations when you’re doing hard 90s before another turn (I.e. the steering wheel is “upside down”)

4/23 order, first hour. UR/BLK, changed to W/BLK. VIN 6/14, delivered in downtown Chicago 6/22. Complete blast furnace weather down there. Build quality is good, 2 issues, hood needs some adjustment and for some reason I can't make phone calls. BT paired fine, phone works as key. I've removed the pairing, restarted phone and car, paired the phone to the car again. Still no joy. Floor mats from my 22 M3LR fit fine. The magnetic sun shade fits fine. Frunk and lower trunk liner fits. The trunk liner works but doesn't fit perfectly, will replace. Center console tray NFW. I'm waiting on the Highland S3XY knob, so I don't think I'm going to be able to use one anyway. The wheel tire screen choices are 20" Uberturbine, 18" Photon, 19" Nova, 19" Warp, and 20" Warp, FWIW. Ride quality and NVH, excellent. Cooled seats are nice. Still playing with settings, going to do a range test once the weather cools down.

Mine did the one day at a time march for an entire week until I called my SA and they said "Did you schedule delivery yet? Your car is here." They acted like they didn't know why the app wouldn't let me schedule yet so they scheduled it over the phone and THEN it showed up in the app. I have a feeling the one day at a time march starts when your car is at your local SC and they either don't want to fool with it or don't have the time and would rather push out a bunch of Model Ys rather than spend the time updating the firmware on a M3P and getting that ready. I ended up finding out that at least 5 of the days mine marched forward like that were days that it was sitting in the lot at the local delivery location and the reason the app didn't offer to schedule delivery is that delivery scheduling is automatically kicked off once the car is "inspected" at the local SC: so mine just sat for the better part of a week in the lot and I didn't get the delivery day option because no one had inspected it yet.
Interesting. For those days it sat at the delivery location, did you have a VIN that whole time? Unfortunately my local place is not a delivery location, but they have been helpful. Any contact through the app has been near worthless.

@M3PDenver awesome! What track is that? HPR? I’ve never tracked a car, (never had one worth it) but now that I have one worthwhile, I want to do it. Low-key, probably in grandma mode for a couple laps without a lot of other traffic. What’s your recommendation for Colorado?

Edit - another reply was preloaded or something to another post that I didn’t ever reply to. Deleted that reference
Yup, it's HPR! You can see that first lap I'm just farting around, no traffic. They have open lapping days, and there is no racing. In fact, they reiterate during the drivers meeting that "no one is going to win the open track day, and the race is tomorrow." It's totally chill. There's a slow and fast group. I always go with the slow group and just wait for the first rush out and I just about have the track to myself.

You will have to rent an RV spot to get access to the 50 amp plug which charges at 40 amps if you have the corded mobile connector (discontinued). If you have the regular charger, the max charge is 32 amps. I go about 0630 and plug in until 8 and I'm usually about up to 95% from my 55 min drive from Denver.

I think people think it's a race, so they won't go. I know so many guys who will break law after law playing with their cars and risking damage in traffic but think the track is "too aggressive" or "too dangerous." It's a great spot to get it out of your system legally and in a controlled environment, and this is a great car for it.

I'm considering having my brother in law pick up the car, since I'm out of the country. For people that picked up the car in the last week or so, has anyone checked ID for the person picking up the car or is it automated via Tesla app? (i.e. Give my brother in law Tesla login)

Last edited:
Unless tesla lowers the price of the others, or makes other colors free, most Model 3 Performance highlands are likely to be stealth grey.
Indeed.

Just another data point...
I've been heard saying "I don't want a car in a shade of gray" (black, gray, white, silver) but with a net difference of $9500 for UR/W vs SG/W, I went with the SG. It has a bit of sparkle/texture to it, but definitely not a gaudy amount. It's growing on me. Also, maybe, just maybe I'll blend in to traffic a bit more.

Decided to spend that price difference (+ a bit more) on a full (clear) wrap and (new to me) 35% side tinting for heat reduction.

5/3 Blk/Blk Portland OR
EDD was June 26-30th
Just got a VIN this morning at 10:41am, with a new EDD of June 22-June 30th

I talked with my SA who has been with Tesla for 10 years and she said the car is parked in Cali waiting for a truck to Oregon, and delivery would most likely be the last week of June. Ours are probably heading up on the same truck.
I sure hope that is true! That would be wonderful! :)

I keep checking the app like an addict, though... ;)

Grats on the VIN!

• Love
Reactions: Knudy