Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The saga is finally coming to a close soon. Vin has finally arrived on my sg/black order in NY from 45 minutes after orders went live. Sadly delivery is not until July 10-19 currently.
Congrats! Don’t be down that’s good news. That will come faster than you know it! It could get moved up, too. At least now you know your car is built!

Reactions: Sandee3
I signed up here in hope of giving others a realistic view of what dealing with ordering a Tesla can be.

On May 8th I enthusiastically ordered a new M3 Performance for California delivery. I chose it partly because at the time the other Model 3 trims did not qualify for the federal tax credit. This made the M3P quite a good deal. I had driven an M3LR and loved it. It made my Macan feel like a truck. So I sold my Macan back to the dealer and tried to patiently wait for the Performance. I would check nearly daily for updates to the delivery window. It started out as June and then began erratically creeping out. At one point it is was well into August. It finally stabilized at June 24 to June 30. Good.

I had one big problem. We are moving from Wash DC to California on June 30th. After some phone calls to Tesla Sales and reading many forum posts I decided that I would just let it play out and then ask for a short delay. There seemed to be support for that.

Yesterday, June 21st, I got a message from tesla that I had a VIN, needed to complete my insurance information, and choose delivery on June 23rd or 24th. Not good. This was at 3:30p on a Friday. I could not reach my insurance agent and I was still in DC. I left a VM for my agent and waited. About 6 hours later I got another message from Tesla reminding me to pick a date and threatening to cancel my order if I did not choose a delivery date by the next day.

I got on a chat thread with Tesla. They said that I could put the order on Hold for up to 14 days but my car would be offered to someone else and I would be put back into the queue. I asked if I would get my deposit back if I cancelled. They did not reply to that. I then read online from Tesla that as long as I had not yet signed the purchase agreement I would get my deposit back. Wrong. I decided to cancel and was not offered a refund.

I will probably wait until I am in CA and change to an M3 Long Range. I will save a good chunk of money and get a bit more range. I really did not need the 0-60 spec anyway. All Tesla had to do was let me delay for one week and they would have sold me a more expensive car. I am pretty sure that their Dublin, CA dealership had space to hold my car for one week. I would have gladly paid upfront so they would have risked nothing.

Your mileage may vary...
Hey man sorry you had this experience. I’m not sure about your state but in Florida all I had to do was show them I had insurance on any car didn’t have to be the new one. They don’t make that clear enough.

IMG_4474.jpeg

Was June 21-June 30. Just updated this morning to June 24-June 30. Ordered 5/12.

Canadian VIN’s have not started yet. Of course deliveries haven’t started yet either.

So watching the progress over the 530 pages of changing EDD’s, strategy plays, cancel and re-orders, I’m not sure which would have been better.
Knowing what Canadians will be in for fairly soon, or an ignorance is bliss viewpoint, and never having seen this thread… ;)

Got my VIN this morning, just under the 2 month waiting mark!

Ordered 4/26, Blue/Black, in Denver. EDD was June 21-30, now delivery is showing July 5-11. Updated the tracker.
I was wondering if you had gotten a VIN around when I did and just hadn’t updated yet. Glad to see it came at least. I am picking up this afternoon from Aurora. Hopefully no issues.

Reactions: SatiricBear
Ordered 5/24 took delivery 6/20
SG/B - Dallas

I asked if there has been a big shift from the performance to the LR after the tax incentive change and they said there had been. As of today there are available M3P in SG/White with 0 miles, SG/White with 243 miles, and White/White
Nice! I ordered on 5/25 with the same spec, but my EDD is currently sitting at Aug 3rd - Sep 14th. Did you pick up from local inventory or wait for your actual order to be delivered?

My EDD was also 6/21 - 6/30 and I thought for sure the one day at time March was going to begin when I refreshed the app this morning @ 9am CST. Much to my surprise it jumped to July 1 - July 15. No complaints here though and I’m certainly not going to jump ship to get the LR out of desperation.
VIN just assigned at 12:31pm CST. So here is today’s timeline:

7am: EDD June 21 - June 30
9am: EDD July 1 - July 15
12:31pm: VIN assigned

4/30 Order SG/B in Chicago area. My preference is to wait until late July because my leased 2021 M3P can’t be turned in early until July 26th (90 days early). Will talk to an SA on Monday to figure out if I need to go on hold & release the VIN to someone else.

And the “one day at a time” march continues. Now 6/22-6/30. No VIN. Starting to get where work/travel plans are getting to be an issue. Definitely going to make it tough to drop off the car at tint/PPF.

Edit: I also wonder if it’s going to slide all the way back to the end of the month and then they are going to get poopy about delivery before end of Q2. I doubt they will like me trying to push into Q3 just to be poopy back.
Mine did the one day at a time march for an entire week until I called my SA and they said "Did you schedule delivery yet? Your car is here." They acted like they didn't know why the app wouldn't let me schedule yet so they scheduled it over the phone and THEN it showed up in the app. I have a feeling the one day at a time march starts when your car is at your local SC and they either don't want to fool with it or don't have the time and would rather push out a bunch of Model Ys rather than spend the time updating the firmware on a M3P and getting that ready. I ended up finding out that at least 5 of the days mine marched forward like that were days that it was sitting in the lot at the local delivery location and the reason the app didn't offer to schedule delivery is that delivery scheduling is automatically kicked off once the car is "inspected" at the local SC: so mine just sat for the better part of a week in the lot and I didn't get the delivery day option because no one had inspected it yet.

Picked up the car after 5 days at the ppf/tint shop. The color of the car in certain lighting conditions looks like a dark blue. Very happy with the sg/white. There was a scrape under the front drivers lip. But didn’t put it on the ticket as it’s not visible unless you look for it. There a few issues with the seal and fit. All minor and should be easy repairs. The car does pull gently to the right so I’ll have an alignment checked out. This occurred with my 2023 Tesla as well. Build quality has much improved especially when it comes to panel gaps.

For those who are interested. The front windshield is 75% and sides/back 35%. The car has full ppf.

Taking off the aero covers I recommend a beefy trim tool. Start at 1 corner and move to the opposite side. Gently pull and that’s it.

Happy to see my cayenne jack fits underneath the car…but with a flat I’ll have to bring a couple of 2x6 to get the car up. Will carry a spare on long drives. I have another Porsche cayenne jack if anyone around the DFW is interested.

The car is debadged and looks clean. Had a chance to take it out on the highway bringing it home. Passed a green McLaren 570? He/she didn’t follow after I took off. I swear, I have no idea how fast I’m driving in this car when I have these spirited drives.

It’s worth the wait!

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpeg
    IMG_1497.jpeg
    808.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    680.3 KB · Views: 10
Happy to see my cayenne jack fits underneath the car…but with a flat I’ll have to bring a couple of 2x6 to get the car up. Will carry a spare on long drives. I have another Porsche cayenne jack if anyone around the DFW is interested.
You are playing with fire with that jack, especially on that slick floor. Those things are known to fail and smash rocker panels. I've done it myself when I was in my 20s.

Last edited: