Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed šŸ‘šŸ½ Iā€™d also like to see a MIC car at 90%+ā€¦ not 75% as tested to compare apples to apples šŸŽ here!

Weā€™re both cars driven same SOC, drivers weight,ext temp and weather?

I can state that 75% vs 93% is quite the diff even in my 22ā€™ LRboost. I can literally feel the pull difference off the line and especially at the 60-140kph range. So I imagine the new M3P MIC run at 75% cold was definitely not its max output across the range.
You have to know the ā€œMax Discharge Valueā€ or the Battery Temperatures to make statements about how much SOC affects the car.

Assuming that the car is always at the same temperature because the ambient temp is similar is an inaccurate assumption.

I can make a 50% SOC car act like a 90% SOC car by changing the battery temperature.

You have to know the ā€œMax Discharge Valueā€ or the Battery Temperatures to make statements about how much SOC affects the car.

Assuming that the car is always at the same temperature because the ambient temp is similar is an inaccurate assumption.

I can make a 50% SOC car act like a 90% SOC car by changing the battery temperature.
other than tricking the car into thinking we are going to a S/C station, whats the best way to heat the battery on purpose?

No. It's not rhetorical. At the time, there were no "individual owners". Are you suggesting that a service center has no way to manually make a car check for updates or even push the firmware manually without OTA when they were all waiting for it? Or that Tesla, knowing M3Ps have been sitting for weeks, can't make the M3Ps download a critical firmware update that is holding up the sale of cars while updating older Model 3s and Ys Thursday evening through the normal customer OTA?

The only explanation I can think of is that this version hadn't been fully tested yet on the M3P and they intentionally didn't add that model to the queue until the next day. Which is fine. My question is still valid: why did they delay it a day for the M3P?
The service center itself doesnā€™t seem to have the capability. But the mothership absolutely does have the capability to push firmware

Iā€™d love to see that tbh. Not sure max discharge at 50 is same as at 90 when at ā€˜coldā€™ or non heated ā€˜get in the car and drive.ā€™ So yes SOC does affect the car if youā€™re not pre heating and just going about your day to day drive.

Iā€™m just stating based on regular driving conditionsā€¦I leave the house with 90 or leave with 50-60. Consistently there is quite a diff in immediate acceleration from 0-100 and at the 60-130kph over 90+ā€¦especially 95+ when on long drive day. This would be battery at same par for par conditionsā€¦non heated.

Iā€™ve never ever felt the same pull at 50% especially mid range in my 2.5 yrs and 95k km driven. Anecdotal? Maybe. Iā€™ve pre heated coming to a SC when the car was at 50-60% before and not sure even then the power was close to what it is at 90+..

Battery is the same in all countries.
I should have clarified that with ā€œbattery is the same battery as the previous generation for the respective manufacturing locationā€. The battery you got before is still the same battery you will get now. However, different locations will get different batteries from each other.

other than tricking the car into thinking we are going to a S/C station, whats the best way to heat the battery on purpose?
It has been said that Insane mode will get the battery to optimal temperature if you leave it in that mode long enough. However, navigating to a Supercharger for about 15 minutes is probably the most reliable way to get it to optimal temps.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: scrapps
Iā€™d love to see that tbh. Not sure max discharge at 50 is same as at 90 when at ā€˜coldā€™ or non heated ā€˜get in the car and drive.ā€™ So yes SOC does affect the car if youā€™re not pre heating and just going about your day to day drive.

Iā€™m just stating based on regular driving conditionsā€¦I leave the house with 90 or leave with 50-60. Consistently there is quite a diff in immediate acceleration from 0-100 and at the 60-130kph over 90+ā€¦especially 95+ when on long drive day. This would be battery at same par for par conditionsā€¦non heated.

Iā€™ve never ever felt the same pull at 50% especially mid range in my 2.5 yrs and 95k km driven. Anecdotal? Maybe. Iā€™ve pre heated coming to a SC when the car was at 50-60% before and not sure even then the power was close to what it is at 90+..
My point is that if you put heat into that ~50% SOC battery it would perform like the ~90% SOC battery if that one is cold.

Here is an example. This is 55% SOC and 122 F vs. 89% SOC and almost freezing battery. The max discharge for the 55% is 570 HP. The max discharge for 89% is 365 KW(~490 HP).

In that scenario the one with the high SOC and cold battery will be incredibly slow after 40 mph compared to the one with a lower SOC.

Now that is an extreme scenario but the lower SOC would have 80 more HP potential. If you just wanted them to be even then you could let the ~90% SOC have a much warmer battery.

IMG_6067.png
IMG_6068.png

Reactions: Destiny1701