Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt the US car will be faster. I would like to get a chance to get a 90+% conditioned SOC run in. I think it will be a bit closer than this. My advisor said I could have a longer test drive in a week or so once the crazy hype dies down a little bit.
I think battery temperature matters more than SOC. Did you precondition the car at all before the launch? That will make a huge difference.

Reactions: StealthedLuda
Would the alleged 30-50hp difference in peak hp explain the massive difference after 40mph?
EVs only have a single gear ratio. Therefore, they only hit peak HP once in the run unlike ICE that continuously shift back into peak HP with every gear shift.

Heating the battery raises the peak HP in the car. It can add more than 80 HP just from heating the battery alone. All of the gains from heating the battery happen after 40 mph.

That is most of what explains it.

I think battery temperature matters more than SOC. Did you precondition the car at all before the launch? That will make a huge difference.
I was planning to goto the supercharger, but I only had the car for 30mins and the highway was 15~mins away, so from the dealership I went straight out to the highway, so no preconditioning (i forgot to do the navigate to s/c trick) and no highspeed running before the timed run. Defiantly room for improvement.

I was planning to goto the supercharger, but I only had the car for 30mins and the highway was 15~mins away, so from the dealership I went straight out to the highway, so no preconditioning (i forgot to do the navigate to s/c trick) and no highspeed running before the timed run. Defiantly room for improvement.
Yea, that would definitely make a huge difference then. The 0-40 mph time was spectacular from your run probably because you had cold motors. Cold motors help 0-40 mph. Hot battery helps 40+ mph.

This is a rhetorical question, I am guessing?

I thought you had owned a Tesla vehicle before, and experienced first hand that an individual owner cant do anything about what firmware version is on the car, nor can anyone predict with any type of fashion which version of any firmware Tesla will flag for any specific car.

No. It's not rhetorical. At the time, there were no "individual owners". Are you suggesting that a service center has no way to manually make a car check for updates or even push the firmware manually without OTA when they were all waiting for it? Or that Tesla, knowing M3Ps have been sitting for weeks, can't make the M3Ps download a critical firmware update that is holding up the sale of cars while updating older Model 3s and Ys Thursday evening through the normal customer OTA?

The only explanation I can think of is that this version hadn't been fully tested yet on the M3P and they intentionally didn't add that model to the queue until the next day. Which is fine. My question is still valid: why did they delay it a day for the M3P?

No doubt the US car will be faster. I would like to get a chance to get a 90+% conditioned SOC run in. I think it will be a bit closer than this. My advisor said I could have a longer test drive in a week or so once the crazy hype dies down a little bit.
Agreed 👍🏽 I’d also like to see a MIC car at 90%+… not 75% as tested to compare apples to apples 🍎 here!

We’re both cars driven same SOC, drivers weight,ext temp and weather?

I can state that 75% vs 93% is quite the diff even in my 22’ LRboost. I can literally feel the pull difference off the line and especially at the 60-140kph range. So I imagine the new M3P MIC run at 75% cold was definitely not its max output across the range.

Last edited:
This is a rhetorical question, I am guessing?

I thought you had owned a Tesla vehicle before, and experienced first hand that an individual owner cant do anything about what firmware version is on the car, nor can anyone predict with any type of fashion which version of any firmware Tesla will flag for any specific car.
Agree with you here about individual owners. But it did surprise me too that Tesla themselves didn't just send a signal to all of these M3P's to say "download now!" There's not many of them that even exist, thus server overload could not possibly be a concern. And even if it was, it allows the cars to be sold.
Given all the delays, I fully expected them to make a special branch they could push download/install out the door FAST if just targeted for a few 100 vehicles at most. But *shrug*, clearly I was wrong there.

No. It's not rhetorical. At the time, there were no "individual owners". Are you suggesting that a service center has no way to manually make a car check for updates or even push the firmware manually without OTA when they were all waiting for it? Or that Tesla, knowing M3Ps have been sitting for weeks, can't make the M3Ps download a critical firmware update that is holding up the sale of cars while updating older Model 3s and Ys Thursday evening through the normal customer OTA?

The only explanation I can think of is that this version hadn't been fully tested yet on the M3P and they intentionally didn't add that model to the queue until the next day. Which is fine. My question is still valid: why did they delay it a day for the M3P?
I'm curious why the delay too. But of course, we both know that Tesla is never ever gonna say. So in that sense (asking a question we don't expect answered), it's semi-rhetorical.
I'm just happy there was a confirmed delivery with the new software. At least 2 of us (I think 3) here in AZ have appointments today that have not yet been cancelled, so I'm really hoping those hold up! We have a crack in the dam, let the flood come :)

According to the spreadsheet @eeeric @fazm83 and @A_X_Mxyplyzk are the next lucky ones.. is it still schedule for today? I should probably stop by the delivery center today and see if mine will be updated today :p
I'm in the lucky camp too (scheduled for 4 hours from now). Tempted to smash my phone just so I can't hear it ring if it did! Just kidding. I'm hoping today's the day they all start going through!