Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are folks coming from ICE cars getting used to one pedal driving? Admittedly when I test drove Teslas in the past I found it really jarring with the regen and hard to get used to.

This is why I went with a non Tesla EV before, but I am switching now for autopilot/FSD and better range. Curious how long it takes to get used to it.
Still ICE driver. Drove a 2019 M3P for a week last year. After about couple of hours I was hooked on it. Yes it took some getting used to but after the week I missed It. Going back to my 5 speed auto with having to move my foot to that other pedal was a PIA. Been looking for the the m3p refresh opportunity ever since. YMMV

I asked Tesla (via messaging in app) about transferring my homelink module (purchase for my 2021 LR) to the new M3P and they said “homelink is only able to be used once and can not be transferred”. Is this accurate from others experience? I thought I read others transferring in the past.
Shear speculation: as they have to install it and it goes into part of the wiring harness they rather not labor remove then plug and labor reinstall. Rather just reinstall new one. Of the $300 cost. my guess 50% is labor/logistics.

I see multiple versions of them on eBay for 50-100 used. Looks there there are several different variants.

I wish it would just come the darn car as just about all mid range and premium cars come with. Sad part is you have to waste your time now to get installed. (Elon pitching pennies for his stock compensation. I mean you don't get turn signal stalks, really think your going to get included garage opener )

I did just discover that MyQ link will send Tesla owners with compatible openers a free MyQ +30 days trial. to get you to join there subscription service. 10yr is like the same price of installing homelink

Last edited:
I switched in 2021 and have never looked back. Teslas no longer give an option to turn it off. I barely touch my brake pedal. Even on spirited driving, I use it to shift the weight to the front. But it is a personal thing.
I believe they put the ability to turn regen fully off in track mode only. Probably allows tesla to shield the loss of EPA range from doing this since it's only a track mode option is my guess.

I was curious to see about fully turning off regen because my wife told me she doesn't want to even test drive it because of one pedal driving. But in watching one of the reviews, they said once track mode is activated you lose the ability to soften the suspension so going to see if that track mode suspension setting is ok for her.

Not that she wants to ever drive the car but she should at least get the feel of driving it like how i would drive her around which i would go full chill with her. She's not a sports car enthusiast like me. Just to give you an idea of how different we are about cars, if i take her for a test drive in this car and floor it once, that will be me sleeping on the couch that night. All of you single dudes out there.... Stay single.
🤐

How are folks coming from ICE cars getting used to one pedal driving? Admittedly when I test drove Teslas in the past I found it really jarring with the regen and hard to get used to.

This is why I went with a non Tesla EV before, but I am switching now for autopilot/FSD and better range. Curious how long it takes to get used to it.
We bought a Y last October (and why I'm buying a 3P now), and it is jarring at first because of the natural instinct to move from gas to brake in preps to slow down. You get to it really fast, like within a single day (hour or two of driving). I still drive my Prius Prime when I can't steal my wife's Y and the switch between the two is pretty easy but one-pedal is definitely my preferred method.

Have been one pedal driving since i got my 2020 in Dec of 2019. First couple pf times moving quickly through a corner was the hardest to get used to but its all about timing. I adapted quickly and now find it cumbersome to drive an ICE car without regen braking. Much prefer one pedal action.

It becomes second nature eventually. It's all in how quickly and how far you let off the accelerator. You get really good at dialing it in, it's great.

I'm not at all worried about the credit pull (even if it has to be done twice). It's usually 15-20 points max per hard inquiry, and with near 850 credit that won't matter. Though, I am waiting for a VIN to run the initial credit, per my advisors advice. The only reason to run it early would have been to get the 6.39% versus 6.49% rate, which changed on 5/1. But that's literally like $2/month in my situation. It appears that rate changes are usually monthly from what I've seen historically (other than promos, like what we see for the Model Y currently). My bigger fear is a $1,000 (or more) drop in trade-in value in 30 days---not because of more mileage, but because of the supply/demand factor. The outgoing M3P will have very low demand relative to the amount of vehicles coming into Tesla, hence why it could be severely devalued. One way to rationalize it, I suppose, is that if it drops $1,000 in value in 30 days, then that's about what I would have paid toward the car over that same time frame anyhow. LOL.
Tesla rates are back to 6.39% as of today (6/1). It looks like they make the change (if necessary) on the first of the month. Yay! I save a whole $2/month, but my payment is $15/month more due to the trade-in decline. :/

I believe they put the ability to turn regen fully off in track mode only. Probably allows tesla to shield the loss of EPA range from doing this since it's only a track mode option is my guess.

I was curious to see about fully turning off regen because my wife told me she doesn't want to even test drive it because of one pedal driving. But in watching one of the reviews, they said once track mode is activated you lose the ability to soften the suspension so going to see if that track mode suspension setting is ok for her.

Not that she wants to ever drive the car but she should at least get the feel of driving it like how i would drive her around which i would go full chill with her. She's not a sports car enthusiast like me. Just to give you an idea of how different we are about cars, if i take her for a test drive in this car and floor it once, that will be me sleeping on the couch that night. All of you single dudes out there.... Stay single.
🤐
My wife was the opposite, after few pedal down launches she wanted to test out the back seat. Only problem was this wasn’t our first rodeo and our damn 6 year old was in the back in his booster seat yelling about the GD YouTube.

🤐
I married a speed demon, no issues here baby

Shear speculation: as they have to install it and it goes into part of the wiring harness they rather not labor remove then plug and labor reinstall. Rather just reinstall new one. Of the $300 cost. my guess 50% is labor/logistics.

I see multiple versions of them on eBay for 50-100 used. Looks there there are several different variants.

I wish it would just come the darn car as just about all mid range and premium cars come with. Sad part is you have to waste your time now to get installed. (Elon pitching pennies for his stock compensation. I mean you don't get turn signal stalks, really think your going to get included garage opener )

I did just discover that MyQ link will send Tesla owners with compatible openers a free MyQ +30 days trial. to get you to join there subscription service. 10yr is like the same price of installing homelink
I’ve been using the MyQ link app in my M3P for over a year now. Works pretty good. Garage just opens when I get to the predetermined distance and closes automatically when leaving.

• Love
Reactions: xianking
Insurance question for y’all (in Colorado if it matters). Tried to add my VIN to Farmers online today. Said “car not found”. Seems like others have run into this, sounds like you can just upload current insurance for other car? I’ll have to call my agent Monday and get it sorted, but was hoping to get the delivery schedule moving. My policy also renews July 1st - saw the Tesla app says need to show insurance hood for at least 60 days after delivery? Think that’s a problem? Any one else had this situation in the past?

Insurance question for y’all (in Colorado if it matters). Tried to add my VIN to Farmers online today. Said “car not found”. Seems like others have run into this, sounds like you can just upload current insurance for other car? I’ll have to call my agent Monday and get it sorted, but was hoping to get the delivery schedule moving. My policy also renews July 1st - saw the Tesla app says need to show insurance hood for at least 60 days after delivery? Think that’s a problem? Any one else had this situation in the past?
Maybe just sign up for Tesla insurance for a month until it’s resolved?

Went to May 26 - June 2. I’m going to stop updating if it just increments one day at a time and update when I get an appointment. Encouraging to see a Camarillo pickup earlier.
Picked up yesterday (While/Black). Did not want to jinx it by posting the delivery date. Steering wheel button was bad and luckily, they had one on site to swap out, but it took an hour, and I did not have time to do a thorough check. I could not find anything wrong with it but will spend more time today looking and will update later. Only driven a few miles but so far, it is amazing and shockingly fast. Now my wife's car is way faster than my M3 and Porsche 😆

Picked up yesterday (While/Black). Did not want to jinx it by posting the delivery date. Steering wheel button was bad and luckily, they had one on site to swap out, but it took an hour, and I did not have time to do a thorough check. I could not find anything wrong with it but will spend more time today looking and will update later. Only driven a few miles but so far, it is amazing and shockingly fast. Now my wife's car is way faster than my M3 and Porsche 😆
Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the steering wheel issues but glad it was taken care of immediately. As for the turn signal button feel, how is the haptic feedback quality? Does it offer a satisfying simulation of a "click" when you press on them? MKBHD complained that the buttons offered no feedback in his review which was odd. Almost everyone stated that the new signal buttons gave a clicking feedback sensation and sound when pressed.

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas