Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A super scientific approach of just watching the steering wheel closely while FSD was engaged. As the car pulled to the right, the FSD kept pulling it back. It’s not good at dealing with so the whole experience felt unsafe just trying to stay in the lane. I intervened several times.
Oh. OK. I'll keep an eye on mine to see if it has any wobble like that. In my experience, FSD 12.3.6 hugs the right side of the road on some roads (but interestingly not all), even to the point of running over the white line and onto rumble strips at times. My 2021 did it and now my 2024 acts exactly the same. It doesn't seem to be "fighting" it though: like it wants to be there for some reason.

Reactions: hkarthik
I think you'll be thrilled with the change overall. My gripe with model 3/Y over the years was the crappy interior and build quality, and I've been very happy with the interior of the refresh.
Just respectfully disagreeing with you on the above. I came from a 2021 and while I do think some of the materials in the 2024 (particularly the door panels) "feel" a bit more premium, I certainly wouldn't categorize my 2021 as "crappy". In fact, overall I see the 2024 improvements on the interior as pretty minor overall. I like the look more because I think with the LED strips and new trim, the dash seems more integrated with the cabin while older models seemed more cobbled together and not contiguous. But that's a design improvement that reflects more of a trend toward wrap-around cabins than quality per se.

Reactions: phantasms
In CA, tint is only allowed on the rear driver's / passenger's side windows and rear window. Technically no tint is allowed on the front driver's/passenger's side windows and none on the front windshield.
Are you sure that is accurate? Everywhere I’ve read says that legally you are allowed tint on the top 4 inches of the front windshield. And the driver/passenger front windows can legally be tinted to a max of 30%.

Just respectfully disagreeing with you on the above. I came from a 2021 and while I do think some of the materials in the 2024 (particularly the door panels) "feel" a bit more premium, I certainly wouldn't categorize my 2021 as "crappy". In fact, overall I see the 2024 improvements on the interior as pretty minor overall. I like the look more because I think with the LED strips and new trim, the dash seems more integrated with the cabin while older models seemed more cobbled together and not contiguous. But that's a design improvement that reflects more of a trend toward wrap-around cabins than quality per se.

I think that's totally fair. I had a couple of friends with 2019 Model 3s and maybe I was overly harsh on those. I think my viewpoint of "crappy" might have been more centered around interior harshness and NVH, which I always felt was poor in earlier Tesla interiors, but my in laws have a brand new Model Y and it does seem way nicer inside than prior models, so your point is well taken.

Are you sure that is accurate? Everywhere I’ve read says that legally you are allowed tint on the top 4 inches of the front windshield. And the driver/passenger front windows can legally be tinted to a max of 30%.
You are correct about the top portion as a lot of factory windshields already have that part tinted. I was talking more about the whole windshield. Unless there was a new revision of the CVC recently, I'm quite certain you can't have any of the front side windows tinted unless its completely colorless to protect against UV rays.

I think that's totally fair. I had a couple of friends with 2019 Model 3s and maybe I was overly harsh on those. I think my viewpoint of "crappy" might have been more centered around interior harshness and NVH, which I always felt was poor in earlier Tesla interiors, but my in laws have a brand new Model Y and it does seem way nicer inside than prior models, so your point is well taken.
IMHO huge different between earlier M3s and 2021+ M3s. My 2018 was a disaster. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: Bigserver1
You are correct about the top portion as a lot of factory windshields already have that part tinted. I was talking more about the whole windshield. Unless there was a new revision of the CVC recently, I'm quite certain you can't have any of the front side windows tinted unless its completely colorless to protect against UV rays.

Give it a Google and see what I’m seeing.

My tint guy said that doing 70 on the front windshield is technically illegal, but so unnoticeable that there generally isn’t any issue. For front windows, he said certain areas are more/less restrictive. I like the even look so I’m going either 25 or 30 on everything else. I figure if I get pulled for tint that 5% could be arguable. Haha.

I get the car Saturday and will pick up from tint/PPF Wednesday.

Curious do you think if I asked my delivery location to remove the aero caps prior to taking delivery, that they could do that? Would be nice to have them removed and be able to confirm no damage to wheels when I pickup. Or is this asking too much?
I would say do it yourself. Get the $6-7 plastic pry tool kit from amazon and it took my 10 minutes to get all 4 wheels done. It's very easy

I would say do it yourself. Get the $6-7 plastic pry tool kit from amazon and it took my 10 minutes to get all 4 wheels done. It's very easy
And no damage to the wheels? Do you have a video of the plastic pry tool method? I just want to make sure I don’t damage the wheels and I figured if they removed them and caused any damage that would be on them.

Also, I worry that if I remove them at home and there is damage to the wheels underneath then what stops them from trying to claim that I caused that damage removing the caps?

And no damage to the wheels? Do you have a video of the plastic pry tool method? I just want to make sure I don’t damage the wheels and I figured if they removed them and caused any damage that would be on them.

Also, I worry that if I remove them at home and there is damage to the wheels underneath then what stops them from trying to claim that I caused that damage removing the caps?
Zero damage to the wheels. The plastic pry tool set i bought on amazon for $7. It's the blue colored set. All you do is shove the pry tool in between the wheel and the aero cap on the edge of the rim and start moving it back and forth. Zero damage. Super easy

Reactions: Noodlemon
Give it a Google and see what I’m seeing.

My tint guy said that doing 70 on the front windshield is technically illegal, but so unnoticeable that there generally isn’t any issue. For front windows, he said certain areas are more/less restrictive. I like the even look so I’m going either 25 or 30 on everything else. I figure if I get pulled for tint that 5% could be arguable. Haha.

I get the car Saturday and will pick up from tint/PPF Wednesday.
Well I work as an LEO in socal, although no longer pushing a black & white, but still have co-workers who I talk to who do traffic enforcement, and they're still citing for front window tint. Take it for what it's worth. I've said in a previous post on this thread, most patrol guys probably won't care because they're so busy handling thousands of 911 calls, but it's the guys/gals on the motorcycles (primary directive is to conduct traffic enforcement) can be ruthless lol. And yes, the area you're in matters too. If you're in a busy metropolitan area, there's more focus on crime rather than equipment violations, but if you're in a place that's very sterile (minimal radio calls), cops are more likely to stop vehicles for ticky-tack violations (i.e. front window tint).

Reactions: hkarthik
Zero damage to the wheels. The plastic pry tool set i bought on amazon for $7. It's the blue colored set. All you do is shove the pry tool in between the wheel and the aero cap on the edge of the rim and start moving it back and forth. Zero damage. Super easy
Okay thanks! My main issue isn’t that I don’t think I can remove them, it’s more so that I don’t want to miss damage underneath that I don’t find until after I bring it home and remove them. I could totally see them trying to put the blame on me lol. Maybe I’m just being pessimistic.

Reactions: Noodlemon
Well I hate to say it, but I may be the first totaled M3P. 1 week and 1 day after delivery. No one was hurt thank God, but the car is toast. Guy hit me head on with no breaking or even an attempt to swerve. Due to insurance I may not be able to get an M3P as replacement. My rental coverage only covers until they pay out the claim, which is about 2 weeks they said. Then I have to turn the rental in. Yet the M3P is back ordered another 1-2 months and I can't go without a car that long. I literally just sold my old car on Sunday. They also are only going to pay out "actual cash value" so I'll probably lose 10-15k in depreciation from driving off the lot, sales tax, and PPF, tint, and ceramic coating. Really frustrating. I am currently thinking about just leasing an RWD. Basically, if I can't get what I want, pay as little as I possibly can, and unfortunately have to wait 3 years for my M3P. So looks like my time in the waiting room is going to be really long. Take care of your babies...

Well I hate to say it, but I may be the first totaled M3P. 1 week and 1 day after delivery. No one was hurt thank God, but the car is toast. Guy hit me head on with no breaking or even an attempt to swerve. Due to insurance I may not be able to get an M3P as replacement. My rental coverage only covers until they pay out the claim, which is about 2 weeks they said. Then I have to turn the rental in. Yet the M3P is back ordered another 1-2 months and I can't go without a car that long. I literally just sold my old car on Sunday. They also are only going to pay out "actual cash value" so I'll probably lose 10-15k in depreciation from driving off the lot, sales tax, and PPF, tint, and ceramic coating. Really frustrating. I am currently thinking about just leasing an RWD. Basically, if I can't get what I want, pay as little as I possibly can, and unfortunately have to wait 3 years for my M3P. So looks like my time in the waiting room is going to be really long. Take care of your babies...
Holy crap! So sorry to hear that but glad everyone is OK. Maybe after explaining the situation to your SA they could hook you up with one of the rare ones in inventory?

Reactions: Happy Gilmore
Oh no.... Sorry to hear that and glad no one got hurt...

Me too, went from 25 to the 26th to the 27th today. We are just place holders in the case they have cars for us like I said earlier. I foolishly took the day off today. My SA even called the dates I was given as a "Placeholder Date" in chat when I asked what was going on. I should have taken my own advice and not expected anything. Bleh...
I got my VIN this morning and the delivery date is tomorrow the 27th. Went with the TESLA insurance for now.

Reactions: OaklandTae