Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 8th EDD of July 2 - July 16 for a 4/23 order. The wife is giving me till the first two weeks of July to obtain the VIN before I either have to cancel the order and keep my car or switch to a local inventory LR. I’ve already accepted the fact there’s a chance I’ll be in an LR. We need the car by August.

My SA did say I was “soft matched” in early July, but does not have a date. But I also lost faith in everything SAs say and stopped opening up my app to check the EDDs.

IMG_3329.jpeg

Allow me to explain the concept of consequences to you and how that differs from being vindictive. The consequence for you rejecting two cars is $250 of your money. The consequence for Tesla delivering two unacceptable cars is a lost customer and a bit of bad press. Considering (in this ongoing example) that Tesla charges the customer $250 for failing the customer twice, I think the consequences are quite mild. Considering Tesla is the company who is responsible for treating many customers fairly and we're not just talking about one person, the consequence of choosing not to do business with them and sharing your experience online is probably weak, but it's enough for me. I speak my mind and vote with my wallet. It's how you inspire change when it is needed, not saying "Here's my $250" and walking away, pretending to be fine with it.

Again, I've been quite happy with my experience with Tesla so this is just my take on what I would do IF I was presented with two cars with so many defects I couldn't accept them and then told I have to pay $250 anyway. Hope that never happens.
:)
I understand consequences and vindictive behavior just fine.
I think you’re still threatening vindication, and framing it as justified consequences.

That's how you deal with making a bad practice costly for them though. If they get free money for bad practices they have no incentive to change.
But you’re assuming it’s bad practice. Again, you’re viewing this from your perspective only.
So many have tried rejecting for things like a spec or fleck of paint barely noticeable.
Or because they want to put off the purchase, or one of the many other reasons not really related to a valid concern. Tesla opens the doors, and floods of people abuse the process. So the rule is born. All you have to do is discuss it rationally with them and work through it. That’s how you deal with it. :)
I’ve found this works in MOST cases.

Just got a VIN assigned today 6/25 and the vehicle was already on site and ready to be picked up as early as tomorrow 6/26. A few minutes after a SA called me and wanted to schedule delivery. I was told if I did not pick it up before 6/30, I would lose my spot, a clear end of Q2 push.

Order date: 4/23
Color: Gray/White
Last EDD: Jul 6 - Aug 10
Notification: both text & app

Was able to easily change payment from Cash to Self-Arrange Financing within the app, after VIN assignment.
Proof of insurance, uploaded and status shows complete.
A reschedule button is active, however I have no need to reschedule at this time.
Make Your Final Payment tab is active with a Start button.

@TH82 FYI

Did you just upload your current insurance or did you actually upload proof of insurance with your new VIN?

I was just at the Charlotte SC a few days ago and they had someones performance sitting out there unlocked on the lot.... I would go there early and make sure yous is locked.

Picked up M3P today in Cleveland. Blue/ white interior. Noticed a few issues. Frunk alignment was pretty bad, made service appointment to get fixed. Found a couple small scratches. SA tried buffing them out but one remained fairly visible. The rear spoiler on the right side was also moving and not adhered properly. I also found the turn signal buttons to be a tad bit sticky/ inconsistent in pressure required to to trigger.
Also, not sure if its just me, but at higher highway speeds I felt like the steering wheel was vibrating. It also felt somewhat intermittent, sometime more vibration, sometime none at all even on smooth roads I've driven on many times in my Mustang. Need to drive a bit more to get a feel to describe better. Anyone else notice something similar? (In both normal and sport mode)
Other than no issues so far.

Uploading your current insurance card will work
I am pretty sure that this depends on your state, and its laws. In CA we can upload the current insurance card as you mention, but some other states insurance laws seem to require the new car being on the insurance plan to be covered.

Reactions: ashegam and arkhos
Did you just upload your current insurance or did you actually upload proof of insurance with your new VIN?

I was just at the Charlotte SC a few days ago and they had someones performance sitting out there unlocked on the lot.... I would go there early and make sure yous is locked.

NC is one of those states you can upload a current one because any new vehicle is covered for 30 days. I personally chose to update a copy with my Tesla VIN just so I don't run into that "one" person who's clueless about insurance laws and gives me a hard time.

Appreciate the heads up, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Reactions: arkhos
Received VIN yesterday afternoon - got home from work and prepared my Trade-In details, including pics. Surprisingly, fewer pics were needed this time compared to my Tesla purchase last summer.

I was also asked to submit Insurance info - took a pic of my current Insurance card and it was accepted (WA state).

Sent in pics yesterday evening, received Trade offer this morning at 7am. And... for the second time in a row, Tesla's offer beat out Carmax and Carvana and was at the upper end of KBB. I feel extremely lucky, because tons of people here (and people who I work with) have told me that Tesla is the worst on trade value. I am really lucky I suppose, but grateful.

Accepted trade offer this morning, within 15 mins I was asked to schedule Delivery. I was given two choices only: two time slots on Saturday the 29th, and two time slots on Sunday the 30th. What... nothing showing past June 30th? Hmmmm, I wonder why? ;)

So delivery Saturday the 29th at 11am... crossing my fingers I don't encounter any of the horror-stories others here have reported. I went ahead and called my tint place (their shop is literally in Tesla's parking-lot - the tint shop has been there YEARS before Tesla ever showed up - fancy that luck!) So I pick up at 11am, drive across the parking lot for Tint appt at 1pm.

Not a single peep from an SA so far. I haven't asked any questions, so I suppose I am 'low maintenance'? LOL So far anyway.

Planning on a ceramic coating as soon as I can find a place not trying to remove my testicles. :)

Seeing a lot of VINs/Deliveries here this week - so excited for you all - and feeling empathy for those still waiting for VINs. :(

I like the interior lighting personally, I think it makes a cabin feel more upscale. Again, it's personal preference which is why I wish they'd just add a manual slider lol.

I do agree about the heads up display. I do miss having that now that I've made the switch.

I agree on both points!

I think the interior lighting is cool. I -DO- hope there is an option (eventually) to change the intensity, or even turn it off for those who want to. But I do think it was a neat addition.

And the HUD... that is literally the ONLY thing I miss about my Kia. When I first bought it in 2018, the HUD came standard on the trim I bought, and I thought it was kinda 'overkill'. But after a week... I was sold, and absolutely miss it. I don't miss having a readout directly behind the steering wheel, but I miss that HUD speedo on the windshield. :)

Well today was the day, picked it up this afternoon. Car was perfect except for the passenger front window been out of alignment, the top of the window pops out and doesn't seal correctly when closing the door. Pushing on the window seals it, but not ideal. Will have to make a service appointment.

The rest of the car is absolutely perfect in every way. Was unsure of ordering the Blue, but once I saw it I was blown away. There was a red one right next to mine and it was so stunning.

I only drove it home in traffic, so no crazy driving..yet. So happy with it.

I agree on both points!

I think the interior lighting is cool. I -DO- hope there is an option (eventually) to change the intensity, or even turn it off for those who want to. But I do think it was a neat addition.

And the HUD... that is literally the ONLY thing I miss about my Kia. When I first bought it in 2018, the HUD came standard on the trim I bought, and I thought it was kinda 'overkill'. But after a week... I was sold, and absolutely miss it. I don't miss having a readout directly behind the steering wheel, but I miss that HUD speedo on the windshield. :)
Completely forgot my old BMW had HUD until I saw it mentioned on here and now I really miss it too!! Forgot how cool that was.

But you’re assuming it’s bad practice. Again, you’re viewing this from your perspective only.
So many have tried rejecting for things like a spec or fleck of paint barely noticeable.
Or because they want to put off the purchase, or one of the many other reasons not really related to a valid concern. Tesla opens the doors, and floods of people abuse the process. So the rule is born. All you have to do is discuss it rationally with them and work through it. That’s how you deal with it. :)
I’ve found this works in MOST cases.
But in this case they still threatened it when the problems were substantial. If they mentioned it and said that unless problems were major with the next one, they'd cancel and forfeit the deposit that might be fair, but realistically, if there's one or more major problems, then Tesla should not be counting it against someone but they clearly did here. That's the problem. The op tried being fair and rational and Tesla wasn't. (Atleast assuming we got all the details and an unbiased explanation.)

I'm not sure there's really a disagreement here. The point that the other guy was making is that if Tesla really offered a clearly unsuitable car and then threatened to take the deposit if the next car was not acceptable either, then that absolutely merits highlighting that you won't take that kind of abuse sitting down.

The entire reaction is predicated on Tesla not acting reasonably in the first place. You see the person saying they'll spread their situation publicly as being vindictive, but if Tesla is enforcing the policy when the rejection was clearly their fault, then Tesla is the initial vindictive party threatening to take your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyC
Well ladies and gents, I have to confess. Once I got my vin almost two weeks ago, on 06/13/2024, I have hardly been on here. I took delivery on the 18th. I was glued to this thread, and then the car just brought me peace… wow is the car amazing.

Though, I do wish the suspension was stiffer, it does perform very well. A little body roll but it is “stock”. It is by no means super bumpy, or rough. Very refined ride.

Acceleration once the batteries get warmed up is tons of fun and sure to keep you smiling.

The wait was worth it.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to hardwire my radar detector.

Attachments

• IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 8
I agree on both points!

The option to turn it off is there.

Reactions: arkhos
There are 2 M3P with price under 55k due to paint work. Why wouldn't they qualify for the tax credit?
The tax credit is based on MSRP of the car without any interior or exterior add ons; only software such as FSD can be added on and still maintain its tax credit eligibility. Since these are with UR paint, then they do not qualify even though they've been discounted to be under 55k.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms