TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Supercharger usage

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Enginerd, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Model 3 supercharger policy:

1. Fair?

2. Unfair?

3. More kWh than I'll probably use

4. Probably meets my needs

5. Scotty, I need more power!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

With the current back-log and anti-selling still going on, I'm not sure Tesla WANTS referals for M3's yet....

• Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Again destination chargers and home charging are not applicable.

These people aren't at home and they can't charge at home.

They aren't parking for the night.

They [Tesla] are expanding urban superchargers for this purpose.

Tesla does, so that's what's important. From the 2017 shareholder's meeting

• Like x 1
  3. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

I think EVERYONE should have free and UNLIMITED supercharging... the only limit should be on LOCAL supercharging. Maybe 200kWh/yr of credit for SCs <50 miles from where your car sleeps...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. Gtosnipey

Gtosnipey Member

Before reading any of the thread... I just want to say... why would anyone feel entitled to free charging? I feel like it was a perk to get Telsa as a brand off the ground and keep people interested. Coming out with a car model that will produce 500,000 cars and people expect free electricity? All I would say is name a car where you get free unlimited gas? I mean, sure it could happen in 10 years when everyone goes electric and Chevy is still holding on to ICE mobiles lol.

• Like x 3
  5. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

Why would anyone feel entitled to free charging? Plain and simple, a misfound sense of entitlement is now the new American way. Back in the good 'ole days, the American Dream was to work hard and reap the rewards. Nowadays, laziness has taken over and everyone now feels that they are entitled to things that they really are not.

The Model 3 is bringing to Tesla a whole new class of people and I am not liking the frequent gripes and moans of these people. They expect to get the same level of performance, features, fit and finish, perks, etc. that Model S and Model X owners get all while paying half the price. People, you get what you pay for!

Andrew

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Then why would you be hanging out in the Model 3 forum? Oh, wait, I know. It's so you can be a snob. Can't be a snob amongst other Model X owners, I imagine.

• Disagree x 5
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

I don't want people to be doing math in their head... The Honda gets 45mpg OR I have to pay $0.20/kWh to charge and we have to stop for 30 minutes... and... and... and...

The point is that a road trip in an EV should be a no-brainer. The EV is free; the fools fuel isn't. Free fuel should be the perk you get for the 'inconvenience' of having to stop for lunch while the car charges.

Fast Charging and Gasoline are diametrically opposed in terms of fueling. With fast charging the cost of the 'fuel' is insignificant compared to the infrastructure. Once the chargers are in place to support charging how much energy you deliver is a rounding error.

8. Gtosnipey

Gtosnipey Member

Whoa whoa there lol. That post took a turn. All of the people I see complaining about this are Model S owners. This new class of people, which I consider myself in although I have no idea what that means, I will just assume it means not super rich guy buying a Model S and X. But this class of people isn't crying about losing free super charging because we never had it. And we aren't crying about free fill ups because we fill up our ICE cars every week. We don't expect a car with a starting price of $35,000 to have the same features as a car with a $75k price tag. But yeah when I first hear "sorry you don't get a key fob" etc, it makes me go whaaaaattt? Again its not us regular folks complaining, as I think you imply we didn't have fancy cars before, you don't complain about something you never had because you are "upgrading". The people complaining are the Model S and X owners that thought they were getting a new luxury car with all the bells and whistles for $35k simply because they purchased a Tesla before. Just my observations

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

I understand your POV but in my case it is more along the lines of 'charge up while occupants stretch and empty bladders.'

And free charging just brings along irrational behavior by some owners that gums up the infrastructure.

10. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Agreed. I feel exactly the same way about tax credits for car purchases. Same logic. Stop transferring the cost. If you can afford it, buy it. If not, don't. That includes the energy to power it. Hitting the 200,000 mark will remove this noise...

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

There’s a reason the tax credits exist - early adopters take the risk and added expense of purchasing an EV (adding charging capabilities to their homes and worrying about range due to minimal charging infrastructure) while at the same time improving air quality for their fellow citizens. The government (at least, the semi-sane government we used to have) wanted to encourage manufacturers to build them and citizens to buy them - a tax credit was the perfect solution. There are a lot of things I don’t like my tax dollars going to, but I realize that my priorities aren’t the only ones that matter.

• Like x 4
  12. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

Hmmm....if I can get "full/max" charging rates with the model 3....I'll gladly pay for reduced charge time.

From this thread on the Mod S forum....lots of folks are not getting high charging rates and some stalls don't work at all: Superchargers super-slow . Maybe all Tesla owners should start paying to fund infrastructure build out and maintenance.

• Funny x 1
  13. SageBrush

#73 SageBrush, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    There is another aspect of the EV tax credit: your taxes pay for the externalized costs of fossil fuel use in ICE cars. Since you run an EV the taxes are returned to you. I think this is the best argument for a tax credit forever.

• Like x 4
  14. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I have asked many people while discussing Tesla if they would wait in line at a gas station for 20 minutes if the gas were free and they all said "yes". And if a station were to offer free gas, the wait would likely be longer than that. So there you have it.....Supercharging is likely faster than gas when the price is equal. Should I start a new thread?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

So...throttle the folks getting free supercharging and give the folks that want or have to pay the max charging rates.

16. SageBrush

To be fair, you have to ask them the question for 3 gallons per stop during a trip.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. wwu123

wwu123 Member

That is a clever social experiment to reveal people's tendencies. But I would say that most ICE owners are thinking of a gas station fill-up as something that costs $20-50 typically, so their framing is it's worth 20 min to save that much. If you re-framed it that the most they'd really save from a 20 minute Supercharger stop is $2-3, maybe up to $5 in California and the northeast, far less would say yes.

But certainly those who don't have charging infrastructure available at home, plus a few more, would still say yes, but it'd be much less....

• Like x 1
  18. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

No but thanks for assuming...very intelligent of you! I do not "hang out" in this forum as you say. Feedly, my RSS reader of choice, lists out all new posts in the Tesla Motor Clubs forums for me. All I see is the title, not which specific sub-forum it comes from. The title of this post interested me so I checked it out and responded.

Andrew

19. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Interesting, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Most S/X buyers were sold with free unlimited SC. The throttling seems like it would be a real point of contention (it would be for me if I had been given that with my purchase). I could see the model changing in the near term and I think that we are starting to see that.

20. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

You didn't get ANY dislikes. You got DISAGREES, which, given that you made an error, seems reasonable.

There is no dishonor in being wrong, just in staying wrong after being corrected. (which you didn't do).

Thank you kindly.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1