Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 supercharger policy:

• Fair?

• Unfair?

• More kWh than I'll probably use

• Probably meets my needs

• Scotty, I need more power!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still, SC are NOT setup to replace home/destination charging.
Again destination chargers and home charging are not applicable.

Who needs to charge at 300+ mi/hour at home?
These people aren't at home and they can't charge at home.

Who wants to wait at an SC as a destination charger when there are 30 people wanting to park for the night?
They aren't parking for the night.

We should identify the % of Tesla owners that fall under this category and solve the problem accordingly.
They [Tesla] are expanding urban superchargers for this purpose.

I just don't see SC as this answer.
Tesla does, so that's what's important. From the 2017 shareholder's meeting

Okay. So most millennials living in apartments rather than homes, what can we do to make it easier to own and charge a Tesla without a garage, so we are establishing supercharging locations a lot more in city, supercharging locations and there will be a little lower power. But in between a high-power supercharger which is optimized for long distance trips, but more powered than would typically be found in a home garage, so wherever the car is being parked, whether it’s the apartment or work or somewhere in between, we are going to make sure that there is a place to charge your car, even if you live in an apartment. One of the key things for apartments is to manage the power is if you got a lot of cars parked in your garage and you have to design the system to handle, hypothetical case, where all cars are drawing maximum power at the same time, then you need a crazy amount of power. So it’s important to have a system that load levels the power. So that they don’t have to build a new substation just to supply the apartment building. And so that’s one of the things that’s prices are being implemented, but no question, we need to solve this problem for apartments, not just homes

Reactions: tony b
Before reading any of the thread... I just want to say... why would anyone feel entitled to free charging? I feel like it was a perk to get Telsa as a brand off the ground and keep people interested. Coming out with a car model that will produce 500,000 cars and people expect free electricity? All I would say is name a car where you get free unlimited gas? I mean, sure it could happen in 10 years when everyone goes electric and Chevy is still holding on to ICE mobiles lol.

Before reading any of the thread... I just want to say... why would anyone feel entitled to free charging? I feel like it was a perk to get Telsa as a brand off the ground and keep people interested. Coming out with a car model that will produce 500,000 cars and people expect free electricity? All I would say is name a car where you get free unlimited gas? I mean, sure it could happen in 10 years when everyone goes electric and Chevy is still holding on to ICE mobiles lol.

Why would anyone feel entitled to free charging? Plain and simple, a misfound sense of entitlement is now the new American way. Back in the good 'ole days, the American Dream was to work hard and reap the rewards. Nowadays, laziness has taken over and everyone now feels that they are entitled to things that they really are not.

The Model 3 is bringing to Tesla a whole new class of people and I am not liking the frequent gripes and moans of these people. They expect to get the same level of performance, features, fit and finish, perks, etc. that Model S and Model X owners get all while paying half the price. People, you get what you pay for!

Andrew

Before reading any of the thread... I just want to say... why would anyone feel entitled to free charging?

I don't want people to be doing math in their head... The Honda gets 45mpg OR I have to pay $0.20/kWh to charge and we have to stop for 30 minutes... and... and... and...

The point is that a road trip in an EV should be a no-brainer. The EV is free; the fools fuel isn't. Free fuel should be the perk you get for the 'inconvenience' of having to stop for lunch while the car charges.

Fast Charging and Gasoline are diametrically opposed in terms of fueling. With fast charging the cost of the 'fuel' is insignificant compared to the infrastructure. Once the chargers are in place to support charging how much energy you deliver is a rounding error.

Why would anyone feel entitled to free charging? Plain and simple, a misfound sense of entitlement is now the new American way. Back in the good 'ole days, the American Dream was to work hard and reap the rewards. Nowadays, laziness has taken over and everyone now feels that they are entitled to things that they really are not.

The Model 3 is bringing to Tesla a whole new class of people and I am not liking the frequent gripes and moans of these people. They expect to get the same level of performance, features, fit and finish, perks, etc. that Model S and Model X owners get all while paying half the price. People, you get what you pay for!

Andrew
Whoa whoa there lol. That post took a turn. All of the people I see complaining about this are Model S owners. This new class of people, which I consider myself in although I have no idea what that means, I will just assume it means not super rich guy buying a Model S and X. But this class of people isn't crying about losing free super charging because we never had it. And we aren't crying about free fill ups because we fill up our ICE cars every week. We don't expect a car with a starting price of $35,000 to have the same features as a car with a $75k price tag. But yeah when I first hear "sorry you don't get a key fob" etc, it makes me go whaaaaattt? Again its not us regular folks complaining, as I think you imply we didn't have fancy cars before, you don't complain about something you never had because you are "upgrading". The people complaining are the Model S and X owners that thought they were getting a new luxury car with all the bells and whistles for $35k simply because they purchased a Tesla before. Just my observations

Agreed. I feel exactly the same way about tax credits for car purchases. Same logic. Stop transferring the cost. If you can afford it, buy it. If not, don't. That includes the energy to power it. Hitting the 200,000 mark will remove this noise...

Agreed. I feel exactly the same way about tax credits for car purchases. Same logic. Stop transferring the cost. If you can afford it, buy it. If not, don't. That includes the energy to power it. Hitting the 200,000 mark will remove this noise...
There’s a reason the tax credits exist - early adopters take the risk and added expense of purchasing an EV (adding charging capabilities to their homes and worrying about range due to minimal charging infrastructure) while at the same time improving air quality for their fellow citizens. The government (at least, the semi-sane government we used to have) wanted to encourage manufacturers to build them and citizens to buy them - a tax credit was the perfect solution. There are a lot of things I don’t like my tax dollars going to, but I realize that my priorities aren’t the only ones that matter.

There’s a reason the tax credits exist - early adopters take the risk and added expense of purchasing an EV (adding charging capabilities to their homes and worrying about range due to minimal charging infrastructure) while at the same time improving air quality for their fellow citizens. The government (at least, the semi-sane government we used to have) wanted to encourage manufacturers to build them and citizens to buy them - a tax credit was the perfect solution. There are a lot of things I don’t like my tax dollars going to, but I realize that my priorities aren’t the only ones that matter.
There is another aspect of the EV tax credit: your taxes pay for the externalized costs of fossil fuel use in ICE cars. Since you run an EV the taxes are returned to you. I think this is the best argument for a tax credit forever.

Last edited:
The point is that a road trip in an EV should be a no-brainer. The EV is free; the fools fuel isn't. Free fuel should be the perk you get for the 'inconvenience' of having to stop for lunch while the car charges.

I have asked many people while discussing Tesla if they would wait in line at a gas station for 20 minutes if the gas were free and they all said "yes". And if a station were to offer free gas, the wait would likely be longer than that. So there you have it.....Supercharging is likely faster than gas when the price is equal. Should I start a new thread?

I have asked many people while discussing Tesla if they would wait in line at a gas station for 20 minutes if the gas were free and they all said "yes". And if a station were to offer free gas, the wait would likely be longer than that. So there you have it.....Supercharging is likely faster than gas when the price is equal. Should I start a new thread?
So...throttle the folks getting free supercharging and give the folks that want or have to pay the max charging rates.

To be fair, you have to ask them the question for 3 gallons per stop during a trip.

That is a clever social experiment to reveal people's tendencies. But I would say that most ICE owners are thinking of a gas station fill-up as something that costs $20-50 typically, so their framing is it's worth 20 min to save that much. If you re-framed it that the most they'd really save from a 20 minute Supercharger stop is $2-3, maybe up to $5 in California and the northeast, far less would say yes.

But certainly those who don't have charging infrastructure available at home, plus a few more, would still say yes, but it'd be much less....

Reactions: FlatSix911
Then why would you be hanging out in the Model 3 forum? Oh, wait, I know. It's so you can be a snob. Can't be a snob amongst other Model X owners, I imagine.

No but thanks for assuming...very intelligent of you! I do not "hang out" in this forum as you say. Feedly, my RSS reader of choice, lists out all new posts in the Tesla Motor Clubs forums for me. All I see is the title, not which specific sub-forum it comes from. The title of this post interested me so I checked it out and responded.

Andrew

So...throttle the folks getting free supercharging and give the folks that want or have to pay the max charging rates.
Interesting, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Most S/X buyers were sold with free unlimited SC. The throttling seems like it would be a real point of contention (it would be for me if I had been given that with my purchase). I could see the model changing in the near term and I think that we are starting to see that.