Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Issues and Communication Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla did screw up, they should just man up and say it, give a polite explanation and then do everything in their power to speed up the delivery of the car. That's good customer service. Hiding is not.

That's what I said in a post on 11/14/12. Still believe it. Kroneal, it is really sad that you had to chase down this information. Instead of Tesla being proactive, Tesla hid until you forced their hand. I really don't understand the complete silence by Tesla. They know they have a communication problem. They have to know by now that leaving people in the dark is just poor form and causes ill will and aggravation. Yet they continually stick to what seems like the company communication policy: don't say anything unless it is positive. It has been over a month since George B sent out his mass email(10/17) and it surely doesn't appear anything has changed. Very disappointing.

I think they should do something special for you, but I don't have a feasible idea. While I think Tesla should do something for you if your car is delivered after any general production model, to be honest, I don't see them doing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I started this latest back and forth with a very public rant about Telsa's communication with respect to my car, I think it would be of interest to some if I provided an update. My DS forwarded my email to his 2 immediate supervisors. That email enumerated various concerns I had with the communication process regarding my car's production. Both supervisors have since responded and the picture has become much clearer. First, I was one of the dreaded 28 referred to in GB's email on October 17th, although I didn't know that until today. Sadly, VIN 991 is no longer. It has been scrapped. RIP 991. I didn't know that until today either. They have started over and I now have another body that is just out of the paint shop. If all goes well, it will be finished next week, most likely the last US Sig.
The question I have is whether or not Tesla should make some goodwill gesture for putting me to the back of the Signature line eventhough I was sequence number 513. I thought I was paying for the paint color and the privilege of being one of the first 1,000 US cars on the road. I was passed over through no fault of mine. If this happened in a restaurant, I would expect to receive a freebie without even asking. Feel free to opine and debate. All opinions are welcome.

The other thing that is bothersome to me is if they knew your car was one of the dreaded 28, why is it only now that the body is just out of the paint shop? Presumably they knew about the problem before 10/17, the date of GeorgeB's mass email. It took them five weeks to make a body just out of a paint shop? Sounds like instead of your car getting expedited according to your sequence number, they just sent you to the back of the line. Not what I would want to hear, especially since in his 10/17 email GeorgeB acknowledged that sequence number is "important to us," and an "issue that we take very seriously."

The other thing that is bothersome to me is if they knew your car was one of the dreaded 28, why is it only now that the body is just out of the paint shop? Presumably they knew about the problem before 10/17, the date of GeorgeB's mass email. It took them five weeks to make a body just out of a paint shop? Sounds like instead of your car getting expedited according to your sequence number, they just sent you to the back of the line. Not what I would want to hear, especially since in his 10/17 email GeorgeB acknowledged that sequence number is "important to us," and an "issue that we take very seriously."

In manufacturing, with a high-ticket product like a vehicle it is obviously cheaper to send the product back up the line for rework instead of scrapping it. It is likely they tried a few different corrections to save the car, then it went back for testing and failed. After they were out of options, they likely decided to absorb the loss and scrap the vehicle, disassemble salvageable parts, and start over. All of these things take time.

I have to say kudos to Kroneal as well for being as level headed and understanding as one could possibly be given such a huge delay and with communication issues on top of that. Not everyone would work through the channels and seek out information in a constructive manner. I'm glad your new car is finally making its way again through the process but kind of sucks they couldn't keep that lower VIN number for you.

In manufacturing, with a high-ticket product like a vehicle it is obviously cheaper to send the product back up the line for rework instead of scrapping it. It is likely they tried a few different corrections to save the car, then it went back for testing and failed. After they were out of options, they likely decided to absorb the loss and scrap the vehicle, disassemble salvageable parts, and start over. All of these things take time.

A great many things could have happened. For example the car could have been damaged in production, crashed during testing etc.

Yeah, you're probably right. Still, Tesla needs to do better on the communication front. If they had good communication, they could spin this situation and come out looking like heroes. Instead they were quiet until pressed by Kroneal and look bad. Tesla should get a public relations person or a communication director.

Given my situation, I've been one of the more critical people on this subject, but had Tesla issued a simple statement like below, it would take much of the anxiety away.

"We tried to build your car in sequence the best we could, but ultimately the car was not up to our high standards which is the cause of the delay. We are starting from scratch and we will be make sure your car is built expeditiously while still maintaining our high quality standards. Delivering a perfect car to you is our goal. Please be patient and we will get your car to you as soon as possible."

I have no doubt that Tesla is trying to make the best car possible, and with that comes some difficulties especially at the beginning of production. Just be proactive in dealing with customers. The time they take to be proactive instead of silence really could go a long way turning a bad situation into a good PR moment for the company.

Remaining U.S. Signatures?

Just trying to recap where we are with the Signatures.

From what I see, the following U.S. Signatures have not been delivered yet:

VIN Owner
722 mlascano
1045 walla2
1084 AnOutsider
1179 pilotSteve
1278 STxTesla
1232 Larry Chanin
12xx kroneal (new VIN to be assigned)

Correct? Are there any other U.S. Signatures that have not been delivered yet?

[cross-posted]

I feel that Tesla's in a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation.

If they had gone to the point of 'oversharing' with Kroneal, JKam, walla2 and others in similar situations, they'd have made the reservation owners relatively happy.

But, the flip side of being extremely and proactively transparent with manufacturing status (and problems) is that it may not inspire confidence from investors and more importantly, other current and would-be reservation holders. Tesla wouldn't want be caught in a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom and gloom.

If they had gone to the point of 'oversharing' with Kroneal, JKam, walla2 and others in similar situations, they'd have made the reservation owners relatively happy.

I personally dont need every detail. It would have been acceptable and would have made me happy to receive a notice in October that delivery was not possible and an update in November that November delivery was unlikely. I have never requested investor grade details about my car and they shouldn't provide that. I am not advocating for that.

They should be letting R/P's right now know that delivery in December (that was estimated in Nov/Dec) will not happen to avoid this kind of badness. I am certain that they are not doing this, and these posts will likely continue with the P's too until Tesla sees that non-notification of non-delivery isn't a good customer service policy when selling a 49-110K luxury item.

Sadly, VIN 991 is no longer. It has been scrapped. RIP 991
Kroneal, can you follow up with your contacts to see if the VIN plate is in tact?
If you don't want it, I do. It's worth at least $50 to me, perhaps more.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I think you (and others in the 'dreaded 28') should receive some goodwill gesture, something large enough to make you feel 'whole' -- and I don't think that should be shared on the forum, maybe only to the extent of 'Tesla made it right'. Otherwise they will be inundated with other requests. And I don't think that's right, either. It's not our business, but should be between you and Tesla. (And based on other posts you've made in the past, I suspect you agree with that.)
For the record, I have no problem with some additional ... compensation/consideration ... made to owners of Signature reservations where the initial vehicle was scrapped before delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if some other Sig reservations would take issue with it, but I doubt it would be the norm.

I am a Sig reservation holder and I don't recall ever being promised by Tesla that my car would be "one of the first 1,000 cars on the road". You had a complaint, Tesla responded to your complaint and you are getting a brand new mint condition car. I would be very happy with that. I don't think that Tesla owes you anything other than an apology for the confusion and delays and it sounds like you got that.

That would be true if they communicating properly what was happening. By not being clear about what was happening, when it was terribly wrong, then he deserves some compensation. That's the reason for his question to all of us.

As someone in retail dealing with similar situations on rare occasions it is the proper thing to do.

Just trying to recap where we are with the Signatures.

From what I see, the following U.S. Signatures have not been delivered yet:

VIN Owner
722 mlascano
1045 walla2
1084 AnOutsider
1179 pilotSteve
1278 STxTesla
1232 Larry Chanin
12xx kroneal (new VIN to be assigned)

Correct? Are there any other U.S. Signatures that have not been delivered yet?

[cross-posted]

VIN 1034 R Lawson not delivered. I have seen a picture of my car almost done.

Last edited:

Unfortunately you are right. We have a culture in North America in that if someone makes a mistake or error there is automatically some expectation of compensation or special treatment as opposed to just an apology and promise to fix it. If you never tell your customer about the problem and just fix it before the item is delivered then they are happy being none the wiser. If you try and be open and honest with your customer then they get upset. There is a reason why so few companies try to communicate as Tesla does and I hope that a few whiners don't spoil it for everyone else.

I received an email from Tesla. VIN 991 rises like the phoenix. My first car was scrapped but it was explained to me that they can use the same VIN for the more recent build.

I also have permission to pass along what is going on with the build out of their communication process:

"...our communication problems are not solved yet, it's a little better but nowhere near what we want it to be. It won't be better until the inside delivery team comes online in early December. The field team just doesn't have the bandwidth to stay in constant contact with customers to the levels needed. When creating this organization we underestimated the level of communication people wanted during the delivery process. We recognized this and that's why we are creating the inside team who will be able to be proactive with customers. It doesn’t happen overnight and we need everyone to be patient for another week or so. I also want to reiterate how appreciative we are of all our customers and thank you for your patience..."