Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AN update from more recent orders - I reserved mine on 03/19

1617479604337.png

Reactions: elguapo and Tigers
I was just told by a different SA that due to Chip shortages and Yoke approvals/clearance we are looking at a May/June delivery.
What’s his source? From previous discussion, Yoke does not require pre-approval although NHTSA was evaluating pre-emptively. And how does the SA know that delays are due to chip shortage and there will be adequate supply for May/June? Unless the SA has the inside scoop into the supply chain, he is likely speculating just like everyone else.

PS. Subtle change to my order page today. “Estimated Delivery: -“ has been removed. Just blank space. Ordered LR FSD MCR 1/31 with original March 1-31 estimated delivery which changed to “-“ shortly after I changed design details on Feb 9. Taking delivery in Palm Springs. Hello @Desert Dave!

Last edited:
Regarding the Yoke steering wheel affecting production, it doesn't appear it would, as long as Tesla believes it meets the NHTSA standards (and I could not find any specific standards related to steering wheels, but perhaps someone else can here). Doesn't mean NHTSA isn't reviewing, but it should not hold things up.

Any car or equipment used with a vehicle that will operate on U.S. roads must comply with the NHTSA’s FMVSS, or Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Tesla and any other car company has the right and ability to determine internally whether a vehicle or piece of vehicle equipment is compliant with the FMVSS, and can use any means necessary to determine this. Manufacturers can use testing procedures, engineering analytics, or standard testing procedures to determine whether a vehicle or piece of equipment meets the NHTSA’s FMVSS standards. Ultimately, the NHTSA gets the final say, and if a vehicle or piece of equipment is in violation of any of the FMVSS regulations, the agency has the ability to act if it sees a reason to believe that it is noncompliant or has the possibility of causing a safety-related defect.

Interesting tidbit. I went behind the scenes to inspect the area of the web page that used to say the delivery date. The text that reads "We will reach out to you to schedule..." is in an element with id "prod-final-deliver-estimate-desk-default-date". Sounds like this is the default when no further attempt will be made to provide an estimate when getting close to delivery. Just a guess based on the id alone.

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
If you want to know when the first MS Refresh will start its way down the assembly line, all you have to do is ask all your friends to ask all their friends to ask all their friends to ask all their friends to ask all their friends to ask all their friends and get back to you; and, according to the theory of six degrees of separation, if anyone in the world actually knows, you'll get your answer. It's that simple!

What’s his source? From previous discussion, Yoke does not require pre-approval although NHTSA was evaluating pre-emptively. And how does the SA know that delays are due to chip shortage and there will be adequate supply for May/June? Unless the SA has the inside scoop into the supply chain, he is likely speculating just like everyone else.

PS. Subtle change to my order page today. “Estimated Delivery: -“ has been removed. Just blank space. Ordered LR FSD MCR 1/31 with original March 1-31 estimated delivery which changed to “-“ shortly after I changed design details on Feb 9. Taking delivery in Palm Springs. Hello @Desert Dave!
May be his source is this thread 🤷🏻‍♂️

I took those pics, and the Tesla tech who showed me around the car told me that they got an email telling them not to let people take pics of new UI and what not. He also stated since Ft. Lauderdale Service Center (dania beach before) is a “legacy story” they get the first cars for the employees to take home and get to know the vehicle more.
Since you had a close encounter with the Model RefreS’d. Perhaps you may be able to solve the mystery of the Center Console. First Photo I’ve seen showing cup holders sliding towards back seat. Did you get a peek at the depths of the storage area? Similar to existing “S” for additional Cup Holders. Currently pretty happy with the 5 I now have in front with my 2018 MS 100D. (3 in the lower compartment + 2 in the armrest)
049F2A8B-CBAC-4C0C-B87A-5B3B720CE87E.jpeg

I ordered my S LR in mid-December and originally had a delivery estimate of mid-February to mid-March. When the refresh thing happened, that delivery estimate disappeared pretty quickly and is now the same "we'll reach out to you" that lots of others are reporting here (I've been browsing this thread, other rumor mill sites, and Tesla's web page nearly every day for a month now 😅). Part of my order is a trade-in, so I've been getting a text message & e-mail about once a month saying that I need to update the mileage, upload photos, or whatnot, to refresh the estimate (which has been remarkably solid, possibly because I don't drive the car very much).

The text messages usually start with "Tesla Trade-in update" and ask for "missing" photos to be sent to TradeSMS [at] tesla.com. But - last time (yesterday) the text started with "TESLA URGENT" and asked for the photos and such to be sent to a different e-mail, gallerytrades [at] tesla.com, "to obtain a new final offer for your trade in and to generate your trade in packet." It still has the note that the offer is only valid for 30 days/1000 miles.

Are they just tinkering with the wording or does this suggest that we're actually within 30 days of something? Does anyone else who has traded in a car with Tesla before recognize the change in wording? I hate the whole rumor mill aspect of this but I'm also always looking for some clue as to when I might get this thing!

It’s old news. CNN per usual has zero context or research, and quotes analysts who were predicting 12-15k S/X deliveries just last Friday saying they knew this all along.

Pretty much everyone outside this forum is shocked to find out what we already know - the S/X are delayed. Nothing has changed, CNN is just reporting what’s new to their “journalists” as news.

The CNN article is some news. When Tesla announced the 2021 refresh they were predicting deliveries would be happening by now, but none have happened yet. The worldwide chip shortage might be contributing, but Tesla's supply of electronics is separate from the rest of the auto industry. Most of their silicon is custom made to Tesla specs. Most other cars might have a few custom devices for features specific to that manufacturer, but quite a few of the ICs on mainstream makers' cars are common parts that are used by many industries. If one industry is sucking up those parts, the car makers won't be able to get them.

I do suspect the biggest hangup is approval for the yoke. Do anything that is too different a driver's experience and the regulators are going to want to evaluate it.

I ordered my S LR in mid-December and originally had a delivery estimate of mid-February to mid-March. When the refresh thing happened, that delivery estimate disappeared pretty quickly and is now the same "we'll reach out to you" that lots of others are reporting here (I've been browsing this thread, other rumor mill sites, and Tesla's web page nearly every day for a month now 😅). Part of my order is a trade-in, so I've been getting a text message & e-mail about once a month saying that I need to update the mileage, upload photos, or whatnot, to refresh the estimate (which has been remarkably solid, possibly because I don't drive the car very much).

The text messages usually start with "Tesla Trade-in update" and ask for "missing" photos to be sent to TradeSMS [at] tesla.com. But - last time (yesterday) the text started with "TESLA URGENT" and asked for the photos and such to be sent to a different e-mail, gallerytrades [at] tesla.com, "to obtain a new final offer for your trade in and to generate your trade in packet." It still has the note that the offer is only valid for 30 days/1000 miles.

Are they just tinkering with the wording or does this suggest that we're actually within 30 days of something? Does anyone else who has traded in a car with Tesla before recognize the change in wording? I hate the whole rumor mill aspect of this but I'm also always looking for some clue as to when I might get this thing!
Don’t know but you may want to actually sell your car privately (eBay works) or sell it to a local dealer. I sold my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV to a local dealer and got a nice check after Tesla mucked around with my trade-in offer after it expired in 30 days...those bastards deducted $4,400 off their original trade-in offer after just 30 days and less than 1,000 mi. Um NO. I’ve heard that Tesla really doesn’t want to deal with trade-ins anyway as they just auction them off anyhow and couldn’t care less about the low ball offers they give you. Their original offer to me was fair...within a couple thousand of others that I received offers for and I liked the sales tax reduction with the trade in. But with the impending delays, it could be another 4-8+ weeks before delivery so you may want to just sell your car elsewhere and you’ll easily make up for the tax savings from the trade-in. Just my experience.

Agree w/ wdolson on the delay of the refreshed MS from the yoke steering wheel. I suspect the NHTSA will be providing Tesla with the guidance on that very soon.
Makes me sick to my stomach if we are waiting for lazy, dumb government folks to decide whether the work of a proven genius is acceptable. If the yoke isn’t safe, we have a civil court system to deal with that. We don’t need the NHTSA, the NTSB, the FDA, or any other regulatory bureaus.

I got same new language text about urgent trade in, SA told me people were ignoring them and the stiffened the language, nothing new. She did say for me ordering prior to refresh announce guidance was last week April, First week May.
Dallas, LR, MSM