Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be wrong, but I would bet that the Plaid with 1,020 HP may have a slightly higher residual value and trade-in/retail value after 2-3 years than the MS LR, being that the higher power (current "fastest production vehicle on the planet" although that will change when the Plaid+ arrives), tri-motor MS Plaid is a bit more "special" than the base MS LR and therefore, more sought after in the used/trade-in market. So, it may hold its value a little better. Any thoughts?

I could be wrong, but I would bet that the Plaid with 1,020 HP may have a slightly higher residual value and trade-in/retail value after 2-3 years than the MS LR, being that the higher power (current "fastest production vehicle on the planet" although that will change when the Plaid+ arrives), tri-motor MS Plaid is a bit more "special" than the base MS LR and therefore, more sought after in the used/trade-in market. So, it may hold its value a little better. Any thoughts?
Not sure about that one. True it’s more special but Tesla’s also charging a 50% premium over the LR.
It probably depends how superior the plaid+ is with the 4680s and new architecture. If it’s a big step above the regular plaid, we might be fuc*** lol 😕.

It’s actually the exact opposite. I have owned several V-12 luxury cars and the more premium and rare the car the faster they depreciate. My P90DL sold for 145K new and I sold it with 36k miles on it for 50k. Tesla quickly lowered the price on the Performance cars from 140k to just over 100k and included Ludicrous for free when it was a 10K option. When you double the price on a car and only add a single motor and better batteries there is a tremendous premium that will quickly depreciate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the plaid plus sticker price drop by 20-30k in the next few years. Tesla is renowned for quickly destroying the resale market.

Last edited:
This raises a good point. Never thought of that. I wonder if Tesla will be doing anything about that since we're already nearing half way through the year.

On average per auto company, when do the new year models get released? Is it generally Q1?

- MS LR Feb 5th order, SoCal. ETA still says July.
There will be no deliveries at all for part of the year for this specific model year. It will be well known and not impact values. IMHO

Someone posted on FB Tesla group a pic of model S with yoke steering spotted in San Francisco recently

Attachments

• FFF736A2-CE2B-41EC-BF78-2DECDF0E9F85.jpeg
    FFF736A2-CE2B-41EC-BF78-2DECDF0E9F85.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 61
Not sure about that one. True it’s more special but Tesla’s also charging a 50% premium over the LR.
It probably depends how superior the plaid+ is with the 4680s and new architecture. If it’s a big step above the regular plaid, we might be fuc*** lol 😕.
But, then there's the $20k+ premium on the Plaid+ over the Plaid (both tri-motor w/ the Plaid + having the batteries).

If you buy the plaid, I'd have to say by far and away you are the most ****ed. You are paying a $50k premium for one second less zero to 60. I realize it comes with a third motor, but that *sugar* is going to drop like a rock in deprecation. Plaid + will too, but nowhere near as bad or as fast.

• Disagree
Reactions: MagnusMako
It’s actually the exact opposite. I have owned several V-12 luxury cars and the more premium and rare the car the faster they depreciate. My P90DL sold for 145K new and I sold it with 36k miles on it for 50k. Tesla quickly lowered the price on the Performance cars from 140k to just over 100k. When you double the price on a car and only add a single motor there is a tremendous premium that will quickly depreciate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the plaid plus sticker price drop by 20-30k in the next few years. That quickly destroys the resale market.
I talked about a Tesla SA about this very specific issue as I have ordered a plaid and was worried about depreciation:
He acknowledged the fact and said the guys who bought expensive cars and then traded in for newer lower priced car after cut- didn’t have to pay anything from pocket to get a new car or something in that line. So basically got a new car for no extra price. Not sure it makes sense 😂😂
im just hoping Tesla doesnt continue slashing the price of model S in future.

It’s actually the exact opposite. I have owned several V-12 luxury cars and the more premium and rare the car the faster they depreciate. My P90DL sold for 145K new and I sold it with 36k miles on it for 50k. Tesla quickly lowered the price on the Performance cars from 140k to just over 100k and included Ludicrous for free when it was a 10K option. When you double the price on a car and only add a single motor and better batteries there is a tremendous premium that will quickly depreciate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the plaid plus sticker price drop by 20-30k in the next few years. Tesla is renowned for quickly destroying the resale market.
True but seems like Tesla isn't lowering prices anytime soon; just the opposite in fact...they seem to be raising prices lately. We'll see. Hoping I love my Tesla MS Plaid for 2-3 years (putting approx 18k-20k mi. per year on it) and then sell/trade in for at least 60% of of the cost over that time. If so, that would be A LOT better than my piss-poor, $52k hit (43% value) on my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE that cost > $92k and sold it for $40k after just 2 years/36k mi. Horrendous depreciation on that thing. 😡

If you buy the plaid, I'd have to say by far and away you are the most ****ed. You are paying a $50k premium for one second less zero to 60. I realize it comes with a third motor, but that *sugar* is going to drop like a rock in deprecation. Plaid + will too, but nowhere near as bad or as fast.
You are paying 40K premium for 1020hp and 1.99 sec 0-60. Now you might recuperate 20K of that over model S LR during the sale ( assuming 50% drop for all models S) over next 3-4 years. So really paying 20K premium. Now if u can write off some of the expense it might come down to not much difference

Only different on this one is IF the Plaid+ makes its numbers, there will be no reason to make a faster one. An 8 second car is beyond ridiculous. The only upgrade at that point luxury elements and to make it a flying car. To make your point, they may be able to undercut the price over time. Not really in their interest but have seen stranger out of Tesla.

Reactions: omarsultan
I talked about a Tesla SA about this very specific issue as I have ordered a plaid and was worried about depreciation:
He acknowledged the fact and said the guys who bought expensive cars and then traded in for newer lower priced car after cut- didn’t have to pay anything from pocket to get a new car or something in that line. So basically got a new car for no extra price. Not sure it makes sense 😂😂
im just hoping Tesla doesnt continue slashing the price of model S in future.
Rapid technological progress comes with rapid price declines. The new 4680 battery will come at a great premium and then trickle down to the whole fleet with no added cost. Unfortunately, it’s inevitable!

Reactions: elguapo
Rapid technological progress comes with rapid price declines. The new 4680 battery will come at a great premium and then trickle down to the whole fleet with no added cost. Unfortunately, it’s inevitable!
Rapid technological progress comes with rapid price declines. The new 4680 battery will come at a great premium and then trickle down to the whole fleet with no added cost. Unfortunately, it’s inevita
By that philosophy you should just wait for 3 years and buy a used one for cheap or buy the cheaper new car- then u would still worry abt newer tech coming and ur car price going down.
Car needs to be enjoyed it’s not an investment

Anyone who talks about it only being 1 second faster doesn't understand what that means. It's not going 9s to 8s.
LR 3.1-> Plaid 1.99-> plaid plus <1.99 whatever that means.
Plaid plus over plaid makes sense for huge range gains but not otherwise.
Plaid plus actually is the best bargain given the range and speed/horsepower- but I can’t wait till 2022
So will settle with Plaid

By that philosophy you should just wait for 3 years and buy a used one for cheap or buy the cheaper new car- then u would still worry abt newer tech coming and ur car price going down.
Car needs to be enjoyed it’s not an investment
That’s what I’m saying. It definitely isn’t an investment and you need to be okay with massive depreciation while you are enjoying your car. The more you spend on the car, the more you will lose on the car. There is nothing ”special” about massive depreciation and base model cars generally lose less value than premium versions.

Reactions: 2virgule5
Anyone who talks about it only being 1 second faster doesn't understand what that means. It's not going 9s to 8s.
Yeah, exactly. It's like when I went from driving my modded 580HP AMG to my modded 700HP/TQ GT-R, running 0-60mph in 2.7 sec. / 1/4 mi. in 10.2 sec @ 136mph...HUGE difference...the GT-R was in a completely different, much higher level of performance than the AMG. Period. Same is true for an 800HP/TQ 3.1 sec 0-60mph car vs. a 1,020 HP/TQ 1.99 sec 0-60mph / 9.2 sec @ 155mph 1/4 mi. car...it's a completely different level of crazy, stupid fast (although admittedly, 99% of people would be more than satisfied with a 3.1 sec 0-60mph / 800HP/TQ car...myself included...that's just ridiculously fast already!!). :cool:

Reactions: pacnwplaid
That’s what I’m saying. It definitely isn’t an investment and you need to be okay with massive depreciation while you are enjoying your car. The more you spend on the car, the more you will lose on the car. There is nothing ”special” about massive depreciation and base model cars generally lose less value than premium versions.
“Massive” depreciation is there in base model Tesla and other non Tesla cars too.
plus I really feel u can’t be 100% sure based on history of price movements. It may or may not be that bad.
I would enjoy today and worry about it when time comes to trade it in.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS