Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to remind everyone that this car has technically been delayed for a couple of years. They've been working on the new pack/cooling system since mid-2019 and the leaked reports for that, as well as the interior refresh were all around the same time.

So while we are only 1-2 months away from deliveries - bear in mind that Tesla officially managed to keep quiet for almost 2+ years. Elon screwed up in Q1, I still believe that he believed that it was ready to go and they were in fact getting ramped for production/deliveries (which is why they had the manufacturing team called back in). I also still believe something went wrong that they don't want to talk about publicly (though Elon pretty much told you on the earnings call).

With all of that said - I've gone from being extremely pissed to at peace (7 stages of Tesla grief) - but this is an emerging technology and none of us truly know just how unique the components are in these new vehicles, though it certainly sounds like a complete overhaul of internals. Because of this there are going to be hiccups and maybe an unexpected edge case that occurs.

I get everyone is pissed about communication and so was I but Elon addressed the delay head-on during the earnings call and already updated the timelines to "probably next month (May)" delivery slow start with a ramp in Q3. What more do you all want at this point?

As frustrating as this wait is becoming, every additional day we wait is a day more of improvements being made to the cars that will soon be sitting in our garages. I am willing to trade off this growing suspense for a nicer car with fewer recalls.

And for the record, My 2/15/2021 MS LR order (RN1145xxxxx) still says 6 - 12 weeks, so technically it isn't even late yet.

As frustrating as this wait is becoming, every additional day we wait is a day more of improvements being made to the cars that will soon be sitting in our garages. I am willing to trade off this growing suspense for a nicer car with fewer recalls.

And for the record, My 2/15/2021 MS LR order (RN1145xxxxx) still says 6 - 12 weeks, so technically it isn't even late yet.
I agree with all of your points except the part about the car sitting in the garage. It won’t be in the garage for too long! 🤣

I would like to remind everyone that this car has technically been delayed for a couple of years. They've been working on the new pack/cooling system since mid-2019 and the leaked reports for that, as well as the interior refresh were all around the same time.

So while we are only 1-2 months away from deliveries - bear in mind that Tesla officially managed to keep quiet for almost 2+ years. Elon screwed up in Q1, I still believe that he believed that it was ready to go and they were in fact getting ramped for production/deliveries (which is why they had the manufacturing team called back in). I also still believe something went wrong that they don't want to talk about publicly (though Elon pretty much told you on the earnings call).

With all of that said - I've gone from being extremely pissed to at peace (7 stages of Tesla grief) - but this is an emerging technology and none of us truly know just how unique the components are in these new vehicles, though it certainly sounds like a complete overhaul of internals. Because of this there are going to be hiccups and maybe an unexpected edge case that occurs.

I get everyone is pissed about communication and so was I but Elon addressed the delay head-on during the earnings call and already updated the timelines to "probably next month (May)" delivery slow start with a ramp in Q3. What more do you all want at this point?

There is also a lot of speculation about pack size decreasing to 85-90kWh, but there was this interesting tweet from wk057 last year

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo and Drew-MS

In the big picture, waiting a bit will not kill us - especially if the wait is to get it best. However, it still needs to be communicated. better that is for sure.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Sasquatch-like sightings of updated MS’s in the wild are pre-production mules in the hands of Tesla employees or customers with connections or just large volume buyers being “treated” to the opportunity to beta test the refreshed model on city streets and highways in order to identify any final changes before going to full scale production.

After worrying here about being too late to replace my lease in November, I finally ordered my Model S at a Tesla store in (almost) South OC over the weekend (order placed post earnings report and Elon's latest and now second statement in consecutive quarterly earnings pressers that it's coming next month). For what it's worth (not much), my salesperson told me that they would be getting refreshed Model S' for people to test drive "next month". Lots of next months here.

The salesperson said that even though they had a ton of orders for the new Model S, I should have more than enough time if I waited to test drive the car (for the yoke steering and no shifter) when it came in next month. After stifling my laughter, I went ahead and ordered the car anyway.

For my new order on May 1, I am getting an estimated delivery date for a LR of August on my account page (way earlier than I need it but I'll take it if true/ better 3 months too early than 3+ months too late).

Now I can join the rest of you in refreshing my Tesla account page on a daily basis.

Thanks

Agreed and well said. Believe me I hate waiting and would be in favor of improvements with the accuracy of release dates. However, I’m also patiently waiting for the fasted production car 0-60mph, quarter miler, etc that will be powered by the sun (I’m a Tesla solar/powerwall battery customer).

Not sure why people keep thinking the new pack capacity is lower than pre-2021 models (which were 100kWh).
Elon said himself during the Q1 earnings call last week that they are packing MORE energy in a smaller package.

His audio connection was pretty bad, but he said:
"we're packing more energy in a smaller case, so it took quite a bit of development to ensure that the battery of the new S/X is safe"

at the 20:00 minute mark on the earnings call link from Tesla's website:

Last edited:
Not sure why people keep thinking the new pack capacity is lower than pre-2021 models (which were 100kWh).
Because based on the data Tesla has published (not what Elon has said) its either a smaller pack or they are being more conservative on the range estimate. They've listed a number of improvements that would increase range, and yet the range remains about the same. Most logical conclusion is its a smaller pack, particualrly when coupled with Tesla's move away from pack size specifications.

Because based on the data Tesla has published (not what Elon has said) its either a smaller pack or they are being more conservative on the range estimate. They've listed a number of improvements that would increase range, and yet the range remains about the same. Most logical conclusion is its a smaller pack, particualrly when coupled with Tesla's move away from pack size specifications.
I strongly believe that Tesla has decided to be more conservative on the range estimates. When you compare the estimates of all the new German competitors to Tesla you will quickly discover that Tesla uses a methodology that is much more optimistic than real world results. To be more accurate and in accordance with the new competition, it makes sense for them to start using a more conservative EPA estimate.

Reducing pack size makes no sense when the competitors like Mercedes Benz and Lucid Air are releasing cars with 108 kWh and 113 kWh packs respectively. Even if Tesla is achieving higher efficiency than the competitors, it makes no sense to go backwards and reduce battery size when all of the new EV competition is coming out with larger packs. Who wants a 90 kWh pack when Lucid has 113 kWh? That reminds me of going back to my 2016 P90D which sounds like a giant step backwards. No one wants to pay more for less. That would just be a terrible business move while Tesla is starting to face the first real competition in their short history.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcG
Reducing pack size makes no sense when the competitors like Mercedes Benz and Lucid Air are releasing cars with 108 kWh and 113 kWh packs respectively. Even if Tesla is achieving higher efficiency than the competitors, it makes no sense to go backwards and reduce battery size when all of the new EV competition is coming out with larger packs. Who wants a 90 kWh pack when Lucid has 113 kWh? That reminds me of going back to my 2016 P90D which sounds like a giant step backwards. No one wants to pay more for less. That would just be a terrible business move while Tesla is starting to face the first real competition in their short history.
I think you are missing the efforts that Tesla is making to cut costs. A ton of decisions that went into the redesign were driven by the desire to cut the production cost of the car. They were successful to as Elon mentioned on the earnings call that the production cost of the refresh was lower.

Reactions: elguapo
I strongly believe that Tesla has decided to be more conservative on the range estimates. When you compare the estimates of all the new German competitors to Tesla you will quickly discover that Tesla uses a methodology that is much more optimistic than real world results. To be more accurate and in accordance with the new competition, it makes sense for them to start using a more conservative EPA estimate.

Not to mention that the Model 3 and Y just moved up to 82kWh packs from 77kWh. A 85kWh-90kWh Model S makes very little sense.

I think we should give Tesla a break. Production of these cars is harder than World War II. And then just when you think you have things figured out you can’t find USB cables and you have to go to Best Buy and buy them. These things happen and provide a perfectly understandable explanation for why production was delayed by half a year.
Nobody's been able to verify the "went out and bought all the USB cables" claim, and it's silly on its face: any cable used in a production car will have strict specification requirements, and it's unlikely that random consumer-level cabling from retail store would be suitable. But that's just the kind of stuff Elon says.

And sure, producing cars is hard. You know what's not hard? Letting your customers-- the people who have put down deposits, sold their existing cars, and trusted what you told them about production schedules to be true-- know what's going on. That's really simple.

It will indeed be a wonderful car for those of us who can stick it out. I’m in it for the long haul as my Plaid+ will be a long time coming and I knew that upfront.

Most every issue will be eventually resolved but this release has been a *sugar* show. To the max. Even today, months after initial delivery commitments, statements remain vague and inconsistency reigns.

I check back to this discussion less and less frequently as many of us are not helping with the rampant speculation and “I told you so” remarks that mean nothing. Nothing until the cars are delivered, we can verify the specs, and Musk comes clean. I mean full kimono.

I will love what is delivered. If. If they finally address the damn panel gaps that drive me batshit crazy and get new lights. Then me be very happy. Everything and anything else will be awesome and light years beyond my fantastic ‘17 S and most comparable EVs on the road if not all. These folks make damn good cars.

See you guys in 4 weeks.