Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I called my local SA to get an update. I was thinking that they may have solid information before I see my " - " change to something credible.

After explaining I ordered in 2020, even without looking up my reservation, they made 2 statements that were news to me:

1) The delay in production is due to a chip shortage.
2) Even with a Dec 2020 reservation, delivery will likely be in September.

When I placed my order, the Tesla website said I am not eligible for home delivery, but when my order was complete, it said I was getting a home delivery. Weird considering it made me pick a Tesla service center for delivery.

On a side note, bad form on Telsa's part to send me an email congratulating me on my MSLR purchase that states "We're looking forward to assisting you in getting behind the wheel as a Tesla Owner!" Looks like they need to update their form letter. :cool:
That was a good yoke! It took me a minute to get that!

I have a lot of interest in any automaker who can deliver an EV with >300 miles of range, doesn’t look like a Nissan Leaf or i3, delivers on time and with a realistic budget.

I don’t think these exist yet, though one could argue Tesla did it with the Y.
If my current MS turns out to have problems, and I decide not to keep it, I might consider a MYP. Pretty competitive performance wise with the non plaid MS

FWIW, I called my local SA to get an update. I was thinking that they may have solid information before I see my " - " change to something credible.

After explaining I ordered in 2020, even without looking up my reservation, they made 2 statements that were news to me:

If accurate, it would not be a good look for Elon after having said that deliveries were starting “shortly” in each of the last two earning calls.

If accurate, it would not be a good look for Elon after having said that deliveries were starting “shortly” in each of the last two earning calls.
Remember, he has Asperger's so although he's brilliant, sometimes he acts and says stuff like a child (and he simply overstates things without thinking of the actual consequences if he's wrong). It's not his fault; his brain works very differently although again, he's incredibly intelligent. I really wish Tesla would smarten up and hire people for a real Media Relations/PR Dept again and simply not allow him to talk much about what's going on! It's impossible to take what Elon says as accurate in any real way.

Complete agree. He should be focused on his companies, not Saturday night live skits, bitcoin, etc. Tesla seems like a hobby to him and does not take it seriously. I can’t wait for him to have serious competition and then he will be out of his league. And this is coming from a Telsa fanboy. LOL

Speaking of yokes........Is anyone fearful that the Yoke won’t be a part of the new models, and would you cancel your order if they aren’t, as advertised?

I love the yoke idea and look....and the black trim on the Red.
I ordered the LR model, and when I click on the "View Design Details" link of my purchase, Yoke Steering is listed as part of the package.

Reactions: elguapo and T-Racer

Talk to a different SA and have him actually not be a lazy ass and look up your account. You might find different information. The September is for new orders not converted orders.

Talk to a different SA and have him actually not be a lazy ass and look up your account. You might find different information. The September is for new orders not converted orders.
Also, wondering how long will they use "chip shortage" as an excuse to push the delivery schedules? Something else may come up impacting delivery schedules... Tesla need to get their act together for the commitments made. They can't keep pushing forever and expect to remain business.

I just bought a 2016 p90d because I got impatient. First Tesla and first electric car and I can't wait for my 2021. I ordered the plaid but considering switching to plaid+ now that I have something to tide me over. Seems like y'all think the plus is practically vapor at this point though eh? Might as well wait and see?
I thought long and hard before making the switch from Plaid plus to Plaid. God only knows when the Plaid plus deliveries will start. Could be 2023 realistically.
If it's worth the extra $30k, then I'll trade my Plaid for a Plaid plus.

re: chip shortage as an excuse.

Here's why i think it is UNLIKELY. Look at what Ford did. They have THOUSANDS of F150s sitting in a lot somewhere. They are fully ready to be delivered to dealerships but cannot because of the chip shortage.

If Tesla's only issue was the shortage, we should be seeing parking lots full of S/Xs ready to go with only whatever semiconductors/chips to be installed. Instead, we've seen none.

I have no insider knowledge, but I'm just putting 2+2 together.

Some tidbits I found out. Take with a grain of salt.

- Nothing major happening in May.
- Ramp-up happening in June/July.
- Expecting most accounts to have updated timeline this week. May 10th was when they were starting to update, not everyone will have one.
My account has said the same thing since the 12th of March; the day I placed the order: '4-11 weeks from order placed date'

Reactions: T-Racer
I’m just sitting here thinking about how often I’m gonna refresh the TeslaAccount page tomorrow looking for that delivery estimate. Mrs Kuzco has suggested an over/under of 25, but that feels low.

Can’t even imagine how slow the site is gonna be tomorrow with all of us melting their servers via constant F5.

All this anticipation and the update probably will be “Julgustember 1-30”
I just passed the 25 mark. 🤣. Still no update.

Speaking of yokes........Is anyone fearful that the Yoke won’t be a part of the new models, and would you cancel your order if they aren’t, as advertised?

I love the yoke idea and look....and the black trim on the Red.
At this point I’ll take delivery with handlebars