Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here - to the Forum and to Tesla. Ordered my first Tesla ever on March 19 - LR Midnight Silver/black interior/FSD RN 1146. Had a blissfully excited weekend where delivery as posted was June 1-30 (actually ordered accessories like a pet cover in anticipation!) but by Monday it had changed to August :-(... I grew up in Detroit to an auto industry family so not new to product launch delays, etc. but still antsy!!!

I think it is, or at least it was. I was going to do it for one of my cars, the issue is the state of CA collects sales tax -IN ADDITION TO- whatever your state charges when you take delivery in CA and drive it home. Pretty much makes it only a feasible option if you live in CA.
At least in PA you don't pay sales tax if it was collected by another state, just the difference if less (which would only be in Philly with their 8%). My local and state totals 7% so with CA's 7.25% I would only be out 0.25% which would be a couple hundred for the LR. Ain't tax fun!

Reactions: HumanInput
Newbie here - to the Forum and to Tesla. Ordered my first Tesla ever on March 19 - LR Midnight Silver/black interior/FSD RN 1146. Had a blissfully excited weekend where delivery as posted was June 1-30 (actually ordered accessories like a pet cover in anticipation!) but by Monday it had changed to August :-(... I grew up in Detroit to an auto industry family so not new to product launch delays, etc. but still antsy!!!
Welcome!

Reactions: elguapo
Tesla should be happy to allow customers to pick up their cars at the factory.
Anyone know if that’s an option ?
It used to be--was pretty common for folks to do a factory tour then pick up their new car. Perhaps they will re-instate it once CA lifts pandemic regs. It is certainly fun, but there are also benefits to picking up your car at you local store.

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo and Drew-MS
It used to be--was pretty common for folks to do a factory tour then pick up their new car. Perhaps they will re-instate it once CA lifts pandemic regs. It is certainly fun, but there are also benefits to picking up your car at you local store.
I’d definitely be interested and I’d be fine paying CA tax which means I wouldn’t have to pay NY tax. The rate is similar.

At least in PA you don't pay sales tax if it was collected by another state, just the difference if less (which would only be in Philly with their 8%). My local and state totals 7% so with CA's 7.25% I would only be out 0.25% which would be a couple hundred for the LR. Ain't tax fun!
Same situation with NY.. my tax rate is almost 9% so 9.25 is only a few hundred dollars more.

Wow. So it would cost me close to $2K extra to pick up. Separate topic but why does anyone want to live there?
World’s fifth largest economy if it were a country. World class educational institutions (Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, etc.). World class scenery and outdoor activities — Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, Big Sur, Sequoia, etc. Ocean and beach for hundreds of miles. Moderate climate year round. Better restaurants and cultural activities than anywhere in the US except New York.

A better question is — why would you pick somewhere else?

I
I think the wait is more annoying for people who bought the pre-refresh car or who bought the car in January or February after Elon Musk lied and said it was already in production and would start delivering in February. The apologists’ original explanation was that he didn’t realize there would be battery safety problems. Their new explanation is apparently that he didn’t realize Tesla lacked the parts needed to make the car.

World’s fifth largest economy if it were a country. World class educational institutions (Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, etc.). World class scenery and outdoor activities — Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, Big Sur, Sequoia, etc. Ocean and beach for hundreds of miles. Moderate climate year round. Better restaurants and cultural activities than anywhere in the US except New York.

A better question is — why would you pick somewhere else?
I was living in Tucson for 23 years, where it is sunny and warm all year round. Then I moved to New England, where it is cold and wet for most of the year...