Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lectric has reported that over 10,000 Tesla are completed and staged for delivery, but are missing one or more essential components. Believe this is mainly responsibe for all the delays. Evidently beyond Tesla's control.

It's not beyond Tesla's control. Tesla is responsible for choosing its parts. Tesla is responsible for choosing its suppliers. Tesla is responsible for monitoring its suppliers. Tesla is responsible for making adjustments. "The part didn't come in" is a lazy excuse for not delivering a car that was supposed to be delivered in February.

It has air suspension and can be raised for going through some semi-flooded streets; one reason why I nixed the Lucid Air GT for now...no air suspension. I found the air suspension a very valuable tool in my Jaguar I-Pace EV for driving around South Florida in heavy thunderstorms.

Air suspension literally gives .75 inches more than springs. It's not inspector gadget.

Reactions: emailforbrett
It's not beyond Tesla's control. Tesla is responsible for choosing its parts. Tesla is responsible for choosing its suppliers. Tesla is responsible for monitoring its suppliers. Tesla is responsible for making adjustments. "The part didn't come in" is a lazy excuse for not delivering a car that was supposed to be delivered in February.
Anyone who works with suppliers knows they may fail to live up to their requirements, and then you don't have parts you need. In many cases, by the time you are aware they are not delivering, it may be too late to replace the vendor. Things like tooling requirements and a new vendors prior commitments means you can get stuck, because waiting on the delay is faster than firing the vendor. Consumerism works like an efficient machine, as long as no part of the process breaks down.

Just look at all the chaos Covid has caused. So many consumer products have become scarce or unavailable. ALL companies have the responsibilities you listed, but there you have it. Sometimes things are just beyond the control of the system you have in place.

At my company right now, we are over a year behind schedule on a product development, and now every company up the totem pole is waiting. But if they drop us, they have to start all over with a new company, so they are patiently waiting.

Reactions: lbowroom
Things aren't looking great for the economy with all these slow to realize impacts from supply chain issues. Not just cars or parts but across so many physical products. It just took a while for all this non-work to rear its head.

It's actually lean supply systems. Just on time is great until it's not on time and everything collapses. Tesla is the worst as they don't ever have adequate supply of parts.

Air suspension literally gives .75 inches more than springs. It's not inspector gadget.

Testing of new rear suspension on yellow plaid.

1621378400744.png

Don’t know about the refresh Tesla MS, but my previous EV, the Jaguar I-Pace EV could wade through 21” of water, no problem. Better to raise it up a bit of course though and go slow.

I drove my non air S through 18+ inches and it was no issue but it was nerve wracking. The lip was under water as were most of my wheels.

Car smelled like dead fish until a car wash the next day.