Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Games aside, very few folks are going to be sitting in their Tesla playing games for any substantial amount of time ... I remember when Apple released the first iPhone with a fast, smooth, fluid user interface, making all previous smart phones look like antiques. Very similar to vehicle infotainment systems are today, slow, unresponsive, slow, annoyingly slow. A blistering fast MCU should result in an amazing experience, even if you never load a game.
I don't know about that. The carpool line took an hour and 15 minutes yesterday. Most of that was sitting in park. I could see myself beating Witcher 3 in a few months at that pace.

I don't know about that. The carpool line took an hour and 15 minutes yesterday. Most of that was sitting in park. I could see myself beating Witcher 3 in a few months at that pace.
I have a 10 year old. She could care less about my 0-60 speed, but she is super excited about the gaming function. I already plan to get red PS5 controllers to match the car.

Apparently the plaid plus orders that go with plaid move to the front of the line.. I’m fine with that though.
Why mess with us though? Why not keep it blank until there’s a real date that can be met? June 21-30 was a pretty specific and narrow window. How can we be in and then out? In the end it doesn’t really matter, but it is annoying. If I weren’t actually buying the vehicle it would (probably) be funny.

Are they actually buying a PS5 SoCs from Sony? Surely not. Seems it would be far cheaper to just roll your own with the Ryzen.

Edit: I found this - AMD confirms it’s powering the gaming rig inside Tesla’s Model S and Model X

Sony has a requirements contract for most of the key ingredients to Tesla's SoC from AMD. This means AMD has agreed to prioritize Sony's needs over any other buyer. Only when Sony's needs are satisfied, can AMD supply chips to others. Then, there are other competing long time volume purchasers like MSFT (which might also have a similar contractual arrangement with AMD).

Tesla basically has created a very similar SoC to the PS5 but it is far lower in the supply chain. MSFT also got its contract in years before Tesla. Tesla can't magic their chipset and they can't independently fab or make the chip like FSD.

Finally, AMD is still pissed that Tesla changed from their GPU platform (HW2/2.5) to their own in house architecture. Remember, AMD saved Tesla when they split from ME but now AMD has other car clients and a booming crypto chip business on top of their usual gaming.

Why? They will make maybe 20-40k model s this year. That's nothing like the million plus Xbox and PS5 will make each. (Or hope to)

You've answered your own question. Put yourself in AMD's shoes -- why do you give 2 squirts about keeping Tesla happy over your actual customers? Tesla treats their customers like garbage but not all businesses operate like that.

View attachment 670773My account picture still shows the old ones, anyone else with 19” show the new ones? Thanks. Still blank delivery.
Both my Plaid and LR order pages show the new ones. I also got a text last night that they increased my trade in by $1K , "following a recent jump in used car prices". Delivery date still blank.

Reactions: TNGuy99
I’m one of the guys that has rarely had a date change. I’ve got a LR and Plaid order. Both dates blank for quite some time

LR RN1145 placed on March 1 - Red/Cream/Wood
Plaid RN1150 placed May 25 - Red/Cream/Carbon

The LR date had been blank for probably a month. Before that it was August. Today the LR date changed to June!

The Plaid date was originally June and has been blank for over a week. Still blank.

I can only attribute the blank Plaid to the Carbon trim. I don’t intend on taking delivery of the LR. I may go ahead can call Tesla today and see if changing that order to a Plaid with wood trim does anything for me.
Same boat. 5/27 plaid red cream carbon. June until 5ish days ago. Still nothing for date. Same RN. East coast.

Maybe they have a paint shortage, that would explain the black calipers...
I believe the brake system is still Brembo and they come pre-painted form the factory--if you forage around the Brembo site, their is an article on their multi-step process. But, maybe this is another aspect of the supply chain issue--inability to get red calipers?

Congrats again on your upcoming delivery. Can you clarify your floor mat comment. I actually ordered in Nov (for my ‘Dec’ delivery). I ordered the floor mats at the same time and received them in Dec.
When reviewing my order, the dude said I had the car comes with floor mats and a parcel shelf, but I could delete those in order to be green. He said, so far, no one was doing that.

Whoever is picking up car on Thursday, did your car change in your account as well? Just curious...
Yup, my order page shows the darker wheels now

BTW, still no VIN

I believe the brake system is still Brembo and they come pre-painted form the factory--if you forage around the Brembo site, their is an article on their multi-step process. But, maybe this is another aspect of the supply chain issue--inability to get red calipers?
Or someone just b0rked the graphics on the site when they updated the Tempest wheel color?

• Funny
Reactions: Moose57
You've answered your own question. Put yourself in AMD's shoes -- why do you give 2 squirts about keeping Tesla happy over your actual customers? Tesla treats their customers like garbage but not all businesses operate like that.

Oh yeah sure bro. I'm sure AMD just talked up the reach of their products at that conference last week because they are thinking to themselves "why would we give Tesla 20-40k units this year?"

Logic does not compute.