Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear drive unit differences. I guess triple motor only costs $6580 more than dual. Why the $50K price difference??? 😏😏

1623783066832.png

1623783119275.png

If so, it would have been appreciated if they did it PRIOR to the 10th. It sort of screws the folks who put their faith in Tesla and purchased the car before having real feedback about the smart shift, no stalks, the yoke, etc.
I hope it’s just an optional track package, not a redesign.
Can you imagine the response/outrage if Tesla updates the only remaining thing that people have a near unanimous opinion about (outdated tail lights) AFTER they've delivered 10k/20k refresh orders? Sadly, it would be in line with Tesla's update philosophy though, despite how much it would suck for the early customers.

I learned my lesson early on in 2018. I struggled a lot ahead of taking my first delivery of Model 3, completely paralyzed with making a choice against a possibility of imminent updates/changes. However, 2 years later, I was happy that I was driving an EV car for those two years rather than sitting on sidelines waiting for updates that may or may not come. Before that, I was about to pull the trigger on a Model S and ultimately did not do it because "refresh imminent" echoes were growing and I let FOMO rule the day and I've regretted it ever since. So, for now, I am happy to take delivery of the car as it is right now, and enjoy it while I have it. If/when new updates come, I'll evaluate things at that time.

Has everyone forgot the Model X has had an active spoiler? And will be standard on the new LR X? Not being available/standard on a refreshed S is sort of surprising, but most things about Tesla are surprising, both good and bad.

The refresh Model X has an active spoiler? I don't remember hearing that.

I thought it was only the first couple thousand Model X's that had active spoilers before it was dropped?

I posted that lol I saw someone said it's motorized and will be enabled in the future firmware..."motorized" is the part I am wondering

Lol didn't realize.

Yeah I don't see anything in there for a motor. They did remove the wording from the product page for that, and not for other things coming soon that aren't enabled. Sooo.. Who knows.

Front drive unit is different for LR and Performance. Maybe just better binned? You'd think it would have the carbon sleeved rotor though for the high RPM.

View attachment 673663
Is the 'performance' the Plaid, or are you comparing it to the outgoing raven? All three motors on the Plaid are identical, with the same inverters, etc... so all three are definitely carbon sleeved.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Ok that's weird, because all three are carbon sleeved, according to the owner's manual, the monroney sticker, and even in the Dragtimes video where you could see the rotor inside the front motor.
What do you think happened here in the epc?

They seem to interchangeably use "Performance" and "Plaid". The "Plaid" rear drive unit is under Performance. Maybe the motors have the same design other than the carbon sleeve to allow for higher RPM.
  1. Model S Feb 2021
  2. 40 - REAR DRIVE UNIT
  3. 4001 - Rear Drive Unit Assembly
  4. Performance

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
They seem to interchangeably use "Performance" and "Plaid". The "Plaid" rear drive unit is under Performance. Maybe the motors have the same design other than the carbon sleeve to allow for higher RPM.
  1. Model S Feb 2021
  2. 40 - REAR DRIVE UNIT
  3. 4001 - Rear Drive Unit Assembly
  4. Performance
That may end up being the case, as the LR has moved to all PM motors also. It wouldn't make sense for Tesla to develop two separate motors for two different cars, when they could just remove the carbon-sleeve, and stick it in the LR, and have the efficiency gains still.

I’m waiting for a Plaid. MSM, 21 in, cream, wood FSD. Delivery still indicates June 21-30. I am considering a radar detector but my installer said that window mounted units don’t work well in these cars due to metal embedded in the windshield. Anyone running radar detectors in a model S. I’m considering installing a unit mounted in the front grill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’m waiting for a Plaid. MSM, 21 in, cream, wood FSD. Delivery still indicates June 21-30. I am considering a radar detector but my installer said that window mounted units don’t work well in these cars due to metal embedded in the windshield. Anyone running radar detectors in a model S. I’m considering installing a unit mounted in the front grill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The Model S up until around 2016/2017 or so(?) had a heated windshield, but they stopped using that. That said, I thought I saw some text mentioning it again from Tesla... don't know if it's back now again.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Absolutely agree. I think the Plaid will feel faster than the typical roller coaster experience. This is a rare example of the fastest roller coaster in the world, and not many people have experienced such a sensation.
You're cautioned to rest your head back and look straight ahead on the fast rollercoasters. I bet a fair few passengers are going to get Plaid Neck Pain if they're not paying attention!

Why do you need a radar detector? They're borderline useless these days.