Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this to be true as well. If you total the car, any money you put down is bye-bye. If you want to buy the car out at the end of the lease, most manufacturers sell it to you at market value at the end of the lease versus residual. So if they underestimated residual, guess what….but check you leasing agreement/contract.

I have always leased, but financing this one as rates are super cheap and I can make more of a return with my money elsewhere.
Residual value (RV) is usually misunderstood. It is a contractual amount and is the monetary value that will not be amortized during the lease. Sometimes the RV is intentionally overstated in order to reduce payments, sometimes is understated to reduce lessor risk. Lease fine print established whether there is or is not a lessee buyout amount specified at lease end, as well as terms for early termination. Option to buy at RV is often included but some state the greater of RV or Market Value.

Tesla originated leases are more straightforward than are most but many Model 3 leases have no provision for lessee buyout, and other models have had different practices.

For commercial leases, including any lease with capitalized cost higher than $50,000 the exact terms for vehicle disposition or lease termination following damage or total loss, the terms are often quite ambiguous but almost always have total liability with lessee. It is wise to read those terms carefully and also buy extra coverage from the lessee's insurance provider.

As posters above note, beware GAP coverage. Sometimes that is beneficial, but mostly it is just a way to extract an extra fee.

Regardless there is no substitute for reading the fine print.
As a general rule leases are the most expensive financing option unless the lease payment can be deducted as a business expense.
Practices vary quite dramatically from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
The US Consumer Protection Act applies to leases with a maximum Capital cost of $50,000 so most Tesla leases have zero consumer protections.
The code is here. For reference, there are several parts of the act that have incorrect nomenclature. The stellar item is "estimated residual value", which by definition does not exist since "Residual Value" is the contractual remaining capital cost at contractual lease end. "Residual Value" and "Resale Value at Lease Contractual Termination" are equal only in rare circumstances.

FWIW I have leased many vehicles and other property and have also designed a few lease products for captives.I have leased ONLY when the payment could be deducted as business expense, excluding MACR eligible, in which case I paid cash for purchases. I have also for every lease been careful to assess early termination conditions. Early terminations in the US are roughly 60% of all leases and they are invariably immensely profitable to lessor.

I highly recommend JFK 31L. Three miles long and repaved about three years ago.
In South Florida nothing comes close to TNT.
despite a>10,000 ft runway is excellent shape there are very, very few actual landings there. It is used to test and train crews in navigation and approach management. For all practical purposes landings are prohibited. Sadly, nobody use likely to have permission to use it as a drag strip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions....

@Cherry Wine
This is what I measured with my Apple Watch, by my home and on the freeway (decent condition):
  • Surface street, 25 mph: 53 dB
  • Freeway, 70 mph: 65 dB
  • Freeway: 80 mph: 69 dB
Will compare with the X tomorrow

@Gluber
No, warnings in the side mirrors when you merge, only in the IC visualization

@cwanja
I need a bit more explanation, I do not have a 3/Y and my son is 6'4", so beyond the car seat stage :)

@Str8down
No hotspot

@miketc
Page 209 in the manual, unless you mean something else

@Aleks0404
Page 208 in the manual, unless you mean something else

@Philekins
With the seat all the way up and the suspension all the way up, seat high is ~25in. There is still and Easy Entry profile and geotagging of suspension settings
I was really hoping for a little better at 80 mph as that is about 75% of my daily ~90mile commute:
(side note sound and interior comfort of our, ancient now, LOL BMW AH7 has never been beat by anything else. Been in Teslas since 2015 and never looked back but we do miss those 7'ers quiet and comfort)

11E13968-E985-4320-A441-5FF5A7619BD7_4_5005_c.jpeg

This only applies to leasing. Put as little down as possible when leasing. If you put $10,000 down on your new Plaid lease and total it driving off the lot, the lease terminates. You owe nothing to the bank. However, you do not get your $10,000 back. Gap insurance will cover the difference between the car's value and its payoff amount in the event that you owe more on it than it's worth. So your insurance pays the present day value of the car and Gap pays the bank whatever the difference is between that amount and your current lease payoff amount. Gap protects the bank, not you.

If your credit is not pristine or your debt to income ratio is too high, banks may require a sizable down payment on the lease to lower your monthly payment. If that is the case, then leasing may not be the best option for that particular buyer on that particular expensive car. Leasing requires higher credit scores and lower debt to income ratios than traditional finance purchases.

Multiple Security Deposits (MSD’s) are paid “like a down payment” up front to the bank when the lease is executed. They simply buy down the money factor (interest rate) to ultimately save you money over the term. You are refunded these MSD’s at the end of your lease. This is beneficial if your credit is not stellar and the bank is charging you a higher money factor as a result, or during a time when the lending rates are high. Today this is the opposite case. We are in an era of almost free money. You are better off keeping as much cash up front and investing it. Why drop $10,000 in MSD’s to save a point in the money factor when you can invest that $10,000 and earn a 5%-10% yield in a nice index fund?

There are so many websites that do a much better job than me at explaining the in‘s and out’s of leasing. Like I said about 600:pages prior, leasing a Plaid makes no financial sense due to the math. BMW’s, Maserati’s, Alfa Romeo’s, Volvo’s, and many other makes lease very well and make sense. Tesla‘s do not. However, I was worried about the Plaid+ cannibalizing my resale value. My thinking was that the regular Plaid was not much different from the LR to the Plaid+, so perhaps down the road people would look for the Plaid+ on the used market and the Plaid would lose significant value. Purely speculation on my part, but leasing hedges against that sort of thing.
For many leases the manufacturer subvenes either/or Money Factor or Residual Value, sometimes both. All the brands listed above do that. Such deals often also act to facilitate poorer credit risks. Subvened leases almost always have unkind fine print, even more that normal leases. Remember that if it is not tax deductible leasing is usually more expense than are loans.

Tesla is different and less onerous than are most, but Tesla does do regular securitization so the terms reflect those risks. Tesla residual values are conservative and money factors are not aggressive. The net is that Tesla-originated leases are not great bargains but, with tax deductions they work well.

The four brands listed above, other than Tesla have very aggressive leases. BMW tends to stipulate very high residual values, partly because they have very high early terminations. For people who are obsessive enough there are a handful of industry sources available. None of those describe the risks to lessees.

I was really hoping for a little better at 80 mph as that is about 75% of my daily ~90mile commute:
(side note sound and interior comfort of our, ancient now, LOL BMW AH7 has never been beat by anything else. Been in Teslas since 2015 and never looked back but we do miss those 7'ers quiet and comfort)

View attachment 673929

Was just thinking the same thing. I bought a decibel meter off of Amazon for a model 3 test drive in March, it had the 18inch aero wheels and new windows. Here's what I recorded:

~65 db at 75-80 miles an hour. It was a definite improvement over my older model 3.

I'm hoping that omars apple watch is off (I'm sure that it is), but keep in mind, if they ever turn on noise canceling that'll help a ton. He also has those big wheels, so thinking the peasant wheels will be better as well.

Its better than the 7-series. Car and Driver measured the 750i at 66dB at 70mph. Even 1dB is significant as its a logarithmic scale.

Since I ordered the car I have never been assigned a SA or spoke with one. Do i just call my local dealer and try and talk with them?
I called the guy I had my test drive with two years ago. He actually remembered me and my daughter. Even though most SA don't really know much more than the lads in this forum it's good to have someone I can talk to every couple of weeks. He "promised" to keep an eye on my order and also told me that he'll reach out if he hears that deliveries in the northeast are starting.
If you did not speak to anybody, just call the closest Tesla and ask about your order. I would assume that someone will be happy to follow up with you (and if it's just to build a relationship for them to sell you more stuff in the future).

Good luck.

I called the guy I had my test drive with two years ago. He actually remembered me and my daughter. Even though most SA don't really know much more than the lads in this forum it's good to have someone I can talk to every couple of weeks. He "promised" to keep an eye on my order and also told me that he'll reach out if he hears that deliveries in the northeast are starting.
Same boat. I texted my SA from 2019 who sold me my LR S and we caught up. He has moved on to a separate role, but took over my reservation and told me when we would have some S to test drive.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Same boat. I texted my SA from 2019 who sold me my LR S and we caught up. He has moved on to a separate role, but took over my reservation and told me when we would have some S to test drive.
What was the date he gave you for test drives? I asked this week and was told they were shooting for August. Will be interesting to see at what point they prioritize cars for test drives over delivery.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I don't know about the US, but in Germany one of the big numbers in the performance scene is the 100km/h to 200km/h time. (The only time we can comfortably measure on the autobahn. :D)

That would be about 62 mph to 124mph. Has anyone measured that yet? @omarsultan, do you have the patience (and a safe space) to measure that? That would be really interesting.

Thank you!
Um, no :)

This is a good point, worth noting. While the 0-60 is gets the attention is certain incredible, the moving acceleration tests (40-80, etc) which are more parallel actual driving are just as impressive--car feels like is has an infinite top end--that effortlessness across the board is hard to describe.

My date ping pong continues for my Plaid

RN1150 - Plaid/Red/CF/Spiders/XFSD/Dallas - March 25

Am now back to June as of this morning

June->Blank->June->July 02-22->June->July 02-22->June

Fun!
Peripherally, my MYLR order (for my wife) wildly swings between early August and late September/October, seemingly daily (when I happen to check it). I have no idea what could be possibly cause that, but to bring it back on topic, my Plaid (now +) order in September is being cancelled and I'm being told I can place an order for a new one at $10k more. Makes me a wee bit jealous seeing all these VINs coming in, haha.