Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing negative comments on brakes.
I was amazed that my very first P85 had better brakes than a Maranello (shorter stopping distance and slightly better initial bite/feel).

Street car brakes are best when they provide very good modulation and feel in the area they are most likely to be used (not threshold braking) and yet still have enough power to haul down the mass when on ABS. Most people do not threshold brake and even fewer do it when their heart rate is up so ABS performance is key in emergency situations.

What street car brakes do not need at the expense of the above is thermal capacity or the drag of high thermal rejection. As a result, you can get just about any street car brakes to fade if you try hard enough; some easier than others. Porsche strikes a fantastic balance between street and track. Tesla seems to lean more towards street.

I've got almost 100k miles on my P90DL and I've just barely raised a finger nail's worth of lip on the OD of the rotor. For a street car, I really do not want any more rotor mass or cooling drag. Both of those things you rarely need but pay for all the time. It seems to me that Tesla hit the nail on the head perfectly for the intended use.

If I were going to track the car, a set of aluminum hats with floating Brembo or Performance Friction drilled rotors combined with a good set of pads would seem the most likely solution. It still does not address the thermal rejection portion of the equation but would dramatically extend the useful track life of the system.

You can never have too much in the way of brake spares - http://www.lolachampcar.com/images/Generic Spares/Some Rotors.jpg

Of course you could simply just use less brake. Ya know, they only slow you down :)

In closing, I was told by a very old hand that braking is the last thing you learn. He was right. I used to destroy a set of rotors at Road America in a weekend when I started and, by the end, was down to about a quarter of the degradation. I just needed to relax which is a little easier said than done.

Back on topic Still Blank

Last edited:
Yeah, speaking of the PAWS system, first thing I'm doing is disabling that speaker.

Next, anything to do with "California" and "taxes" just run and hide. Those dirty bastards still try to charge me income tax literally years after I've left and told them multiple times I no longer live there. That place is ridiculous.

@Filter they are going to cancel the long range

@JimLL that's why it's a great thing most of us are getting cars next month instead. 😂

I am more wondering about the advertised 155 mph trap speed than the 0-60 times. Was the 155 mph really a plaid+ number? Haven't seen anyone close to that yet (Leno, MT, ...). At the end of the day it really comes down to nothing is really near as fast especially at this price point, as others have pointed out.
I think we share a brain man! I know most folks could care less about 3mph difference in an advertised 1/4 mile trap speed, but having done a little drag racing over the years, it leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Since you can get a decent idea of horsepower from 1/4 mile trap speed using a calculator like this one: Engine Horsepower Calculator From Trap Speed it shows a rough discrepancy of 60-80 horsepower. It also shows that either Tesla may be underrating the advertised power on their website (1,020), even at the 152mph trap speed, or a calculator like this one isn't tailored to EVs very well. Hmmm.

Speaking of discrepancies, Tesla's website shows a curb weight of 4,766lbs while MotorTrend used corner weight scales and measured a curb weight of 4,816lbs, a difference of 50 pounds. More Hmmm.

I think where the ICE calculators fall down a bit is in dealing with the "area under the curve" that BEV can generate. Just look at Tesla's published HP curve. There is no ICE on any planet (that I am aware of) that can generate something like that. It's understandable that the ICE approach may be off a bit.

That said, there is a big difference in feel between a 152.7 and 155 mph trap.

I bet they will push a software update that adds a bit more power. These plaids are young, they could be slightly detuned while they get grips on the software. Then everyone will consistently get their 1.99 with rollout and YouTube will find something else to dramatize.
I'd tend to agree but the HP delivery curve for Plaid is almost identical to the previous performance versions at the start of the run so your only options are a better launch ( :0 ) or raising the 1050 (ish) terminal number.

I think we share a brain man! I know most folks could care less about 3mph difference in an advertised 1/4 mile trap speed, but having done a little drag racing over the years, it leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Since you can get a decent idea of horsepower from 1/4 mile trap speed using a calculator like this one: Engine Horsepower Calculator From Trap Speed it shows a rough discrepancy of 60-80 horsepower. It also shows that either Tesla may be underrating the advertised power on their website (1,020), even at the 152mph trap speed, or a calculator like this one isn't tailored to EVs very well. Hmmm.

Dude I completely agree. I always look at that 1/4 mile trap speed as an indicator of how truly fast the car is in the street. As you pointed out, there is a big difference in HP between 152 vs 155 mph trap speed. Just wondering if we are missing something here in terms of wheel/tire combos, software upgrades, etc that will be required to achieve that? time will tell I guess. The 60-130 mph time of 4.711 seconds is pretty stout. If it could do a 155 mph trap I would think the number would be more like 4.5 seconds at a min,

The PWS is awful. Our 2021 Model Y has it, but our 2020 Y doesn’t. Coming from 4 previous Tesla’s that were completely silent, the PWS was surprisingly unexpected. The day we brought the car home - I scheduled a service appointment because of the awful sound the car was making, and they told me that was normal because it was just the PWS. Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer to honk at pedestrians if they don’t see or hear me coming.
My son has Kona EV, it makes very pleasant chime. Think Washer Dryer, that went for a ride.

I bet they will push a software update that adds a bit more power. These plaids are young, they could be slightly detuned while they get grips on the software. Then everyone will consistently get their 1.99 with rollout and YouTube will find something else to dramatize.
I tell ya, when Tesla pushed the March 2020 update out to my Model S Performance that added the new, easier launch mode, Cheetah Stance, increased power, new power gauge on the dash, dash cam viewer, etc, it was like every Christmas morning combined!! I have a video of this special moment if you are interested. :) I can only hope we get a similar update someday for the Plaid!

Management at Tesla knew there were CF supply shortages so they should have offered the wood trim option from the start. So in mid-May, they offered wood trim as an option with new plaid orders; great, makes perfect sense.
Under the circumstances, an email should have been sent to existing Plaid reservation holders giving folks the option to switch from CF to wood and possibly get the car sooner. I would have said yes and probably would have kept my March order instead starting from scratch in late May.
But nope; the price goes up $10k, deliveries start, and then they decide to start reaching out to people. It's so bizarre imo
Yes, very frustrating. But the car will be Awesome!

Dude I completely agree. I always look at that 1/4 mile trap speed as an indicator of how truly fast the car is in the street. As you pointed out, there is a big difference in HP between 152 vs 155 mph trap speed. Just wondering if we are missing something here in terms of wheel/tire combos, software upgrades, etc that will be required to achieve that? time will tell I guess. The 60-130 mph time of 4.711 seconds is pretty stout. If it could do a 155 mph trap I would think the number would be more like 4.5 seconds at a min,
My hypothesis, the current cars are limited to 160 mph right? So it needs to start pulling back a bit earlier so it doesn’t suddenly stops accelerating at that speed

I bet once the wheels and tire for 200 mph comes out and they unlock the speed it will do 155 or even more