Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few botched attempts last week with my black on black 21" car I took delivery of my exact spec but in White. I am coming from an AMG GTS and here are my thoughts. This car is big, like huge. It feels big, but its very nice and refined. The ride was better than I was expecting and the quiet, smooth cabin experience is sublime. The stereo system is the best i've ever had in any car (i've had many high end cars over the years). The infotainment is a bit overwhelming. I need some seat time with it to really get a proper opinion of it. The yoke took me 1 minute to get used to, and the lack of turn signal arms wasn't a big deal at all.

Performance.....here we go. MOTHER OF GOD. This makes my AMG's feel like econoboxes. Truly. This thing will scare you. It simply just starts flying when you hit the accelerator. I punched it on an on ramp and by half way down I glanced down and saw 109mph. It wasn't even for that long! The one issue I am running into is that the braking is no where near good enough for hard acceleration when other cars are around. Even for quick bursts it can get away from you.

The usual suspects are present in my car. Big gaps on the hood and a few alignment issues but definitely not the worst Model S I have seen. The white is pretty awesome.

The glass roof lets in a lot of light and heat. My poor bald head is burned from about an hours worth of driving. I wonder if I could tint this darker??

Greg

Regarding wheels, I live in the snow belt and I'm getting the 19s, they will serve as my winter wheels and the aero cover is better for the range (useful in the colder months). For the 6000can$ they ask for the 21s, I will try to find ultralight 20s instead or maybe just get the ZeroG once they are available. I understand it doesn't apply to those living in warmer weather.

I drove this and much more. I was a BMWCCA instructor and raced F2000 (1 season only but still). I'm the target demographics for GT3. Incredible car. I totally agree, it is a track car. It doesn't make much sense anywhere else. There are basically 3 types of GT3 owners in my opinion after years instructing. -The track rat. These guys know exactly what they are buying and usually have the skills to go with it and extract the performances of the car. these guys shoot for FTD but are often the coolest more helpful guys in the pits. They love tracking.
-The poser, wants the GT3 because he heard it's the ultimate 911. Mobile chicane all around the track. Will pit in when you get to lap him. Complains his Sport Cup had too many heat cycles. Will drive around down for weeks with their numbers in the windows.
-The I don't care about lap times, I love the feel and purity. These guys will keep the GT3 alive for years to come. As the other cars get faster and faster, some track rats and posers will slowly leave the brand to get the next best thing. These guys are there for the purity of the driving experience.

While I was instructing, I was shooting for FTD all the time. I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. I always tried to be the fastest possible on the budget I had. I never owned a GT3 myself but would love a 991.2 GT3RS. The ideal garage is a daily Plaid and a RS for the weekend.

Yup.

I have only tracked once. Not sure if for me but will try again. Had a 991.1 C2S but that wasn’t a great 911. Too wooden. manual trans geared to the moon, pointless to even have (72 MPH redline in 2nd, but peak TORQUE) is above 5,000. Can only drive in 2nd on street near peak power (7,200).

I went backwards. Sold that, looked at 997.2 GT3 but ankle injury currently prohibits me driving MT. So, if PDK, go turbo! Picked up a 997.2 Turbo S. Hydraulic steering, feels like an old 911. but enough power to keep me interested. I’ll bring to COTA this fall for HPDE, just to enjoy. Not to get FTD. Should be a blast. Perfect compliment to my M3P

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Somewhat against my better judgment, I requested Tesla change my order with 19s to Arachnids. I'm really mixed on it because I don't particularly want the PS4s, and would likely need to swap them for some Conti DWS, but figured I can probably get at least enough for them to make it a straight swap.

Hearing rumblings about October for 19s has me somewhat spooked. If it were an August or even early Sept delivery, I would hold out, but my wife and I are taking a driving trip (1500 miles) with another couple in early October and I really wanted to have the new car. Seems like a silly reason, but stuff like this is why I buy nice cars. On top of that, I'm very concerned the value of my trade in is going to plummet with a cooling in the used car market, which could easily cost me as much as the $4500 anyway after trade-in tax credit.

Hopefully this works...
SmartSelect_20210703-165715_Chrome.jpg

After a few botched attempts last week with my black on black 21" car I took delivery of my exact spec but in White. I am coming from an AMG GTS and here are my thoughts. This car is big, like huge. It feels big, but its very nice and refined. The ride was better than I was expecting and the quiet, smooth cabin experience is sublime. The stereo system is the best i've ever had in any car (i've had many high end cars over the years). The infotainment is a bit overwhelming. I need some seat time with it to really get a proper opinion of it. The yoke took me 1 minute to get used to, and the lack of turn signal arms wasn't a big deal at all.

Performance.....here we go. MOTHER OF GOD. This makes my AMG's feel like econoboxes. Truly. This thing will scare you. It simply just starts flying when you hit the accelerator. I punched it on an on ramp and by half way down I glanced down and saw 109mph. It wasn't even for that long! The one issue I am running into is that the braking is no where near good enough for hard acceleration when other cars are around. Even for quick bursts it can get away from you.

The usual suspects are present in my car. Big gaps on the hood and a few alignment issues but definitely not the worst Model S I have seen. The white is pretty awesome.

The glass roof lets in a lot of light and heat. My poor bald head is burned from about an hours worth of driving. I wonder if I could tint this darker??

Greg
No need to tint darker, just need a good ceramic tint which will block the sun.
Great write up, congrats !!
Also, it’s a new car, let the brakes break in and they’ll improve.

Question for people that have had 21's in the past. If you blow the tire, and there is no spare, what has your experience been?
Does Tesla service come to you and have a real replacement? Is it just a spare? How much do they charge for the service? How long does it take them to arrive on average?
First time Tesla buyer here, now having 21 anxiety.

I bought my car in 2013, 21” and never had a flat. I’m interested to know as well.

For anyone still looking for a tool to remove the front license plate holder, I got this one for $8 off of Amazon that can be used as-in without needing anything else. Arrived in 2 days and worked like a charm. All other “tools” were at least 2x - 3x the price for what’s essentially a 1-time thing. I know some people have had luck taking them off by hand but I just couldn’t for whatever reason.

Anyway, thought I’ll share.

License Plate Removal Tool for Tesla, Pentalobe Tool

Attachments

• 50926A75-8C8A-4EFF-86B6-65D9E511E2A7.jpeg
    50926A75-8C8A-4EFF-86B6-65D9E511E2A7.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 56
  • B3B267C4-04FF-40CF-95D1-E8FE62AEE2D3.jpeg
    B3B267C4-04FF-40CF-95D1-E8FE62AEE2D3.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 85
When I first saw the Plaid in Nuremberg, Germany with the polished wheels I was hoping those would be the wheels offered. They are very similar to my Avant Guard M85's. Being of the older generation and my first car being a 1958 Buick Roadmaster with the HUGE fins and front "bra" points, I love chrome or polished wheels. I hate both wheels offered but figured I could get the 21's at least polished, chromed or painted. I still have the original 19's off my current car and they serve as a spare when I take cross country trips. Those dark wheels won't last a day on the car. The fin wheels of yesteryear were acceptable but aftermarket wheels were $1000 less and exactly what I wanted. I don't need 2 sets of 19" wheels sitting around. Like said above, different tastes for everyone. Seems we all love the same from there up though!!

1625347850632.png

2014 P85 - White | Fabric | Piano |
2021 MS PLAID - Pearl White exterior | White/White/Carbon Fiber interior | 21" Arachnid Wheels | FSD ~~ Ordered June 7th now Blank after Plaid + Cancelled

20 weeks for me. no contact. I would take 21's just to get car now even though I will be getting 20's later. Why wouldn't Tesla call and offer a January RN # holder that option for the extra $4500? Great car, zero customer service or concern for us!!
Because they don't care and have the worst customer service in the auto industry.

@omarsultan Finally getting around to watching the Ryan Shaw video (
) that you let him use your car for—super nice of you as always!

I never noticed this before, but is the emblem only red, silver and gray? (45 second mark) I always thought it had white in it based on photos, but that was probably the flash reflecting 🤔

Looking at @Atomadam ‘s profile photo also seems to show that there isn’t any white…I’m red-green color blind, so have a hard time distinguishing between shades of similar colors, lol.

EAD31921-67E5-494B-9EAD-F8F7759E2C08.png