Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see a delivery date for my reservation anywhere in my account info while soome of you seem to have this information. Where can I find this info?

I did, however, get an email after my order that indicated a June delivery date, it didn't specify the year though.
Also the site is probably accurate give or take a month or two lol. If you ordered a plaid with black interior, wood trim, 19” wheels, then prob August; worse case Sept. just look at the configurator for a ballpark. Cheers

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
That is not true as a blanket statement. There is no good faith with the 2016 FSD videos and Elon's statements. That is straight up deception.

"I never lied to you, until I lied to myself". Bryan Duncan

No one tells a lie better than someone who believes it to be the truth. That, is elon's problem. He truly believes. Again and again, he believes!

I have had a friend work on the Falcon (9) team and a few friends at Tesla over the years. I think Elon rather purposefully sets unrealistic deadlines to overwork people. Take that for what you will, but it is the reason his companies have a pervasive problem with burnout. It almost certainly leads to things happening faster, but at the expense of peoples' time to enjoy life outside of work.

Yes, I know they can just get a job somewhere else if they don't like it, but also realize that however frustrated we are with Tesla, I bet the employees are constantly stressed to meet unrealistic deadlines.
If you aren’t a dedicated introvert with no friends except those at work, I would not recommend working for SpaceX or Tesla. Its what you are signing up for. On the other hand, it is pretty exciting work.

About the C8 Corvette........I know this story all to well. Some dealerships are charging like 20k-30k (or more) over MSRP. The only way to get one at MSRP is wait like 6-9 months. But now, not even that as GM shut down C8 production for the remainder of the year! Now watch what happens to those wanting a C8, what a nightmare. And who knows what to think about a C8 Z06 and if it ever even really comes out. I really wanted that car and had my heart set on it, but happy to now get something that is much faster and that I can use everyday.

Like you said, Tesla is not playing any MSRP games (thankfully!) like is happening with other car manufacturers.
I have a client that runs a Kia dealership. It’s true they are adding 8-10k on top of MSRP but it’s directly related the lack of inventory.

That 8-10k is let’s say for a Kia Telluride. The reason for the price hike is because normally they may sell 25 a month but now they are only selling 6-8 a month.
Dealerships have tremendous overhead and the lack of used cars for them to sell and new inventory, and the fact they don’t want to lay off employees, forces them to go way over MSRP.

Hence why I like Tesla’s model honestly.

Wow, that's way too chill; more like "grandma chill." 🥱 Thank you for testing it and posting...good to know I'll never have my MS Plaid in Chill mode.
It felt like a travesty.
Times have certainly changed. When I was a kid, my dad got a new Infiniti Q45 when it first came out in 1990. The Q45 (4dr sedan) did 0-60 in 7 seconds which was unheard of back then for a sedan. The Q45 0-60 felt super fast to me.

Attachments

• C42D5D1A-455B-41FD-973A-981E3FC96BE6.png
    C42D5D1A-455B-41FD-973A-981E3FC96BE6.png
    2 MB · Views: 96
Agreed but I try hard to clearly separate out two very distinct issues. Any of the engineers here will instantly recognize the over enthusiastic timelines Elon generates when talking about developing/perfecting new tech. I always think I can do it in X because I'm "so close" and inevitably end up doing it in Y because of Murphy. We are incurable optimists. I tend to cut engineers slack on this but I hear their words with the correct filter.

I suspect engineering over optimism combined with simple business reality resulted in the demise of the +. Why build a super small run car with brand new batteries and fancy mono bloc chassis casting? It makes very little sense. Build a smaller number of development mules and remove the customer delivery pressure and warranty exposure shipping something not fully cooked. My guess is this reality caught up with Elon combined with what appears to be the truth that + is really not needed given Plaid's performance. A really good track pack will do the same trick.

The second issue for me is far more ominous. The company has no respect for the commitments it makes to customers on the business side. It was making promises at the end of May/beginning of June that appear to have been "unkeepable". I say appear because I do not know what they knew and when they knew it. For example, did they know how they were going to batch Red or was there a hiccup on material availability? Or, did they know there were few if any 19s available or was there a similar type hiccup on delivery? We do not know and near no information about these issues leaks out of the company to the general public.

What is certain to me is that the business side of the house considers customers disposable. Like over optimistic time lines, that comes from the top. Any arms length evaluation of a purchase for me takes into account that I can not trust the business side of the house, am happy with the service side and am over the moon with the product. I continue to buy. This seems to reinforce Tesla's calculus (based on a single, likely not right in the head, sample).
Very well said.

I did want to dig into the custom commitment side of things. Anyone that follows the company know that Elon uses the concept of stretch goals, BHAG (big hairy audacious goals), moonshots, whatever name you want to use, the basic concept is to lay out crazy goals to stop your team from thinking incrementally. I think this is great as long is "failure" is managed properly However, I think where this falls short is when there is no filter between the communications to internal teams and communications to customers, and this seems to repeatedly be the case with Tesla.

What I really want to know is what the heck happened with the refresh between Jan 27 and June 10. I don't think Elon was intentionally bending the truth on the earnings call and this delay with the S feels different than, say, the Model X or FSD.

I finally got a VIN yesterday on my Plaid for delivery July 16- July 20. I bought a M3P last week because I needed a car and got sick of waiting since January 15th. I am going to go look at the Plaid, but I think I’m sticking with my 3. It’s a fun little car, and I can revisit the Plaid purchase later on down the road. My timing has always sucked.
19” or 21” wheels?

Very well said.

I did want to dig into the custom commitment side of things. Anyone that follows the company know that Elon uses the concept of stretch goals, BHAG (big hairy audacious goals), moonshots, whatever name you want to use, the basic concept is to lay out crazy goals to stop your team from thinking incrementally. I think this is great as long is "failure" is managed properly However, I think where this falls short is when there is no filter between the communications to internal teams and communications to customers, and this seems to repeatedly be the case with Tesla.

What I really want to know is what the heck happened with the refresh between Jan 27 and June 10. I don't think Elon was intentionally bending the truth on the earnings call and this delay with the S feels different than, say, the Model X or FSD.
Speculation as an engineer, but I bet it was all about the UI software. As you and others have said, and I’ve experienced, it feels unfinished/rushed. But for a rush job it works pretty well.

Most of my speculation is based on the fact that they were building physical cars and have been testing various plaid powertrains for years. That’s why I doubt it was anything but the human facing side of the car software.

Speculation as an engineer, but I bet it was all about the UI software. As you and others have said, and I’ve experienced, it feels unfinished/rushed. But for a rush job it works pretty well.

Most of my speculation is based on the fact that they were building physical cars and have been testing various plaid powertrains for years. That’s why I doubt it was anything but the human facing side of the car software.
Agree. I think they were expecting the car to ship with v11 and when that was not happening, this only took the time and effort to back-port what was necessary to 10.2. BTW, I am 100% OK with this. I am glad to get my car sooner than later.