Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With everyone loving the launches, when will the complaints about tires wearing out start?

You know there will be people who buy a car that goes 0-60 in 2 seconds and expect 50k miles from the tires....

This is the most negative forum I have ever seen, so tires could easily be the next issue for complaint.
We just need to discuss religion and politics and just piss everyone else off!
I've seen it written before - this forum is like my waiting therapy.
I do get nuggets here I can't get elsewhere.
And there's fluff.
I guess if I didn't like it, I wouldn't check it out 20 times a day (as many times as I'll refresh my order as we get into mid August)

Need advice from all you sage, seasoned folk:

I now have a VIN! And instructions to make final payment (I'm paying cash) BUT my EDD was moved to August (from July 15-22.) Do I really transfer funds this early?? Cash flow is not an issue - I've had these monies socked away in a dedicated account for just this purpose but is there any other reason to not pay until I have a firmer delivery date??

For those who care:

View attachment 684123
You will not have to pay for the car until you take delivery. If you choose cash as your option, you can elect to finance from Tesla the day before delivery. The only criteria is that it is agreed upon by delivery. ACH transfers 2-3 days ahead.

He has MSM and Black interior. Probably the most manufactured color config for Plaid. At this point I really want to see someone with Red/Blue/White Exterior and White interior get a VIN and post here and to top it off someone with 19" would be even better but I know that is not happening any time soon
cheers to that. In addition I would like to see plaid+ conversions start getting VINs..

anyway off to work, hobbies and other things to stop me from obsessing over the wait.

Thank you for sharing the phone numbers. I spoke with someone at Fremont and basically am told to sit tight and that there is no hope especially if you have a blank delivery date. Gave me the same generic response of, "Once the VIN is signed we will contact you...." until then **** off lol
I feel your pain. I am a pre-refresh order, have had a blank EDD for all but 48 hours since I ordered, and have gotten basically no information any time I emailed my SA or called the SC for an update. However, today, I just checked in for the first time in a month--I think my call to local SC rolled to Fremont--and I got some definitive info for the first time. The person I spoke with put me on hold for a while to look at my info, then came back and said I should expect a VIN in 3-4 weeks and to take delivery about one week after that. While I'd really liked to have the car by early August, given my own plans, it is great to finally get some definitive info. So maybe worth checking that number every once in a while... you never know if you might get some info.

another benefit of leasing. I don't plan to abuse the battery, but I envision I'll be in the "charge to 90% most of the time" camp - maybe, MAYBE 95%. not sure how much they degrade - while awaiting my first electric baby, I am trying to get past predicted range anxiety (which is why I never got one earlier) - with chargers, a claimed 400 mile range, etc. I should be fine....
Going over 90% will adversely affect regen and make one pedal driving difficult

It is possible that traditional battery charging gurus still assume their new car batteries are the old cellphone batteries. :) whats good for the cellphone must be good for the car :)

that being said.... i also charge at 20amps :) despite my car and gen 1 wall charger being able to go up to 80amps!... so...
80 AMPS ALL THE WAY TO 90% CHARGE EVERY DAY.

FIGHT ME.

He has MSM and Black interior. Probably the most manufactured color config for Plaid. At this point I really want to see someone with Red/Blue/White Exterior and White interior get a VIN and post here and to top it off someone with 19" would be even better but I know that is not happening any time soon
I’ll be happy when I see any configuration delivery with 19s. Super frustrating

I feel your pain. I am a pre-refresh order, have had a blank EDD for all but 48 hours since I ordered, and have gotten basically no information any time I emailed my SA or called the SC for an update. However, today, I just checked in for the first time in a month--I think my call to local SC rolled to Fremont--and I got some definitive info for the first time. The person I spoke with put me on hold for a while to look at my info, then came back and said I should expect a VIN in 3-4 weeks and to take delivery about one week after that. While I'd really liked to have the car by early August, given my own plans, it is great to finally get some definitive info. So maybe worth checking that number every once in a while... you never know if you might get some info.
hmpf! so Elon's 2 weeks has now become 3-4 weeks! smart man...

Need advice from all you sage, seasoned folk:

I now have a VIN! And instructions to make final payment (I'm paying cash) BUT my EDD was moved to August (from July 15-22.) Do I really transfer funds this early?? Cash flow is not an issue - I've had these monies socked away in a dedicated account for just this purpose but is there any other reason to not pay until I have a firmer delivery date??

For those who care:

View attachment 684123
How do I put this delicately... Haell No!
i made that mistake when i bought my first S... Paid in full... then they strung me along... This time around, I shall take a cashier's check with me to delivery - old skool!

brilliant, I'd never have considered timing the charging in the winter. Let's say it's pretty cold out, and the garage is what, 40 degrees or so? If I want to leave my home comfortably at a set time how would I best accomplish that - set the charging to start at a certain time, i.e. if I believe it will take an hour, start it 1 hour earlier, or can I let it know when I want it to be ready - and then how does that tie in with preconditioning the interior, and is there a precondition on the batteries as well? (I'm not using drag race mode to pull out of my garage!!!)
thanks for any tips. This is like ninja level stuff I never considered.
I HAD expected, that for most of the week, I'd possibly be lazy and not plug in, and expect to plug in Friday nights to have the car locked and loaded for weekend trips...but the preconditioning has me thinking otherwise.
I'm also now frankly scared of future rodent issues eating on soybean covered wires - Just read about that yesterday - so now trying to decide how to make my garage the 9th level of hell for rodents.
Thanks!!!!

Charging the battery only helps with battery conditioning. Tesla has gotten more aggressive with thermal limits for the pack. When I took delivery, regen cutoff only occurred around 50F. Now it will curtail regen at 60F which is a big difference in fall and spring (around Chicago). Losing regen means losing efficiency and you'll unnecessarily wear your brakes (which might be a good thing for maintenance as I tend to not get much wear and I need to knock the rust off the pads/rotors).

However, the biggest inefficiency is due to Tesla actively managing pack temps. Not only does the car run the PTC heater just for the pack (when you might only use seat heat/steering heat), but if you're just traveling a short distance, it will waste a ton of energy futilely heating the pack only to cool down while you run errands and then do the same each time you drive. Overall, if you care about efficiency, timing your charging saves you those energy losses/costs

I've read a lot about rodents infesting cars/chewing cables but the scariest stuff was ants. If you're brave, search about the ants and how much they love charging cables/equipment/charge ports in EVs.

I only charge about once a week nowadays (if even). I used to plug my car in everyday before COVID (or every other day). You can control charging from the car or the app. If your car is plugged in, you don't have to charge. It just gives you the option and you can set actual cabin preconditioning too (smart preconditioning works for some but my routine isn't quite set enough to take advantage of that feature). This feature will precondition the cabin before your usual commute time. You can schedule charging to finish up at around the same time if you calculate it yourself (i.e. start charging at around the same time each night).