Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla can and has done surreptitious changes to cars. They've also done a lot more positive things but their general attitude is that we own the car but only license the software from them. They mess with the software and it's mostly good but sometimes bad.
Thanks for an actual reply to my questions. With the "MESS" the MS delivery and now the "who knows what's wrong" delay, previous Tesla owners could be a little more forthcoming when it comes to the company. I appreciate your insights.

Thanks for an actual reply to my questions. With the "MESS" the MS delivery and now the "who knows what's wrong" delay, previous Tesla owners could be a little more forthcoming when it comes to the company. I appreciate your insights.

Overall I trust them enough to have an order on a LR X and a cybertruck plaid but I'll take only 1 of them and only after production has been ongoing for a while.

I've seen this show before and I only felt ok buying December 2016 when Tesla finally figured out how to build cars (with less glue).

Actually both, business and work.
I only ask, because Apple has done each of those things as well. Problem with a connected world and software that runs it causes all sorts of things. Bad programming can lead to disastrous effects. Tesla isn't immune to it. I think the major reason why many car manufacturers don't go software forward is because they don't want to go through the pains of a bug. Currently Tesla is more of a "cutting edge" car, similar to early adopters of new phones, new iOS or Android, you expect some bumps. I feel like we're somewhat getting conditioned to be comfortable with these types of things lol.

I don't think it's done maliciously in any way (well maybe Apple), but software forward design comes with a ton of challenges that haven't ever been tackled before.

(Btw both Google and Apple can shut off your phone at a whim too haha), and Google just did that to Chromebooks with one simple mistyped character, on accident.

I can see the good points and BAD points about owing a car that is basically controlled by the manufacturer.
They can turn on/off:
Features
Performance
Charging capability
Controls
Heck they control the entire car if they wanted!

I'm no right wing conspiracy theorist, but doesn't anyone else have reservations?

Remind me again why I'm buying my 1st Tesla?
I don't understand all the disagrees on this one. They can do all of these things. If at some point government regulation restricts acceleration, they can change it with a software patch. It has been really hard in the past to retroactively enforce standards like seatbelts and catalytic converters, but anything adjustable with a software patch is fair game going forward.

I don't see this becoming a real threat, but we definitely don't have full control of vehicles like we have in the past. Don't think for a second these facts have escaped those that want to make things like speeding harder to do. Lets just hope the Tesla software patch network is not hacked. Imagine the damage that could cause.

I only ask, because Apple has done each of those things as well. Problem with a connected world and software that runs it causes all sorts of things. Bad programming can lead to disastrous effects. Tesla isn't immune to it. I think the major reason why many car manufacturers don't go software forward is because they don't want to go through the pains of a bug. Currently Tesla is more of a "cutting edge" car, similar to early adopters of new phones, new iOS or Android, you expect some bumps. I feel like we're somewhat getting conditioned to be comfortable with these types of things lol.

I don't think it's done maliciously in any way (well maybe Apple), but software forward design comes with a ton of challenges that haven't ever been tackled before.

(Btw both Google and Apple can shut off your phone at a whim too haha), and Google just did that to Chromebooks with one simple mistyped character, on accident.
I completely agree, I use Android at my business due to the fact software we use in the warehouse runs better on Android devices, Apple I got used to 15+ years ago, so I stuck with it personally.

Phones can be thrown in a parking lot to be left, but transportation gets me to and from, think I'm just looking ahead to see what "could" be coming, If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it.

I don't understand all the disagrees on this one. They can do all of these things. If at some point government regulation restricts acceleration, they can change it with a software patch. It has been really hard in the past to retroactively enforce standards like seatbelts and catalytic converters, but anything adjustable with a software patch is fair game going forward.

I don't see this becoming a real threat, but we definitely don't have full control of vehicles like we have in the past. Don't think for a second these facts have escaped those that want to make things like speeding harder to do. Lets just hope the Tesla software patch network is not hacked. Imagine the damage that could cause.
I agree. It's really far fetched for Tesla to do something like this and not get destroyed by the press. It's surprising people disagreed with his comment though. But when I looked at who disagreed, it made more sense. It's actually quite hilarious to see some people declare full on jihad against anyone who dares question Tesla regardless of how valid the question might be. Makes spotting d*ck riders quite easy. Love it! 😉

So, I also wondered if something in the 12.25.2 changed performance characteristics, so I went out and ran the car again on my favorite stretch of road. The left run is from last week (7/20). The last firmware update was applied on 7/26. The center run is the 0-60 portion of my 1/4 mile run and the right run is from this morning. You can see the first and last are consistent (and I mean ridiculously consistent) and the center run is the anomaly. BTW, the 0-60 times for my first two fake runs on the drag strip were were 2.67s and 2.59s.

View attachment 687027
Different elevations affected combustion through the turbo?
Wait- maybe that's just the Taycan??

First time poster( well second post after the accidental "X" post) . Have been following the thread regularly since I ordered my first Tesla. I am seeking advice from the knowledgeable crowd here. I have model x on order which most likely will not be delivered this year. I need a car and can't wait for X without an alternative. I was looking at older model S in the interim and would trade it in when Model X is ready. Do you think it's a good idea? Don't want to lose a lot of money with depreciation and trade in.

Personally, I would be very cautious about purchasing any used car now with the understanding that I would be trading it in within the next several months. From what I have read, the refreshed Model X most likely will not start deliveries until the tail end of this year or early next year. The present market for used cars is causing them to sell for a premium. I would be concerned the used car market could turn around on you between now and when the Model X is available for delivery - causing you to take a much bigger hit on the trade-in than you are hoping for.