Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, let’s admit it. The refreshed S wouldn’t be the highly unique and desirable vehicle that it is without the yoke set up. It’s part of the Elon mystique that keeps us intrigued ( and buying Tesla’s). Of course there are a few other features too. 🤩
Yes but why not restrict the yoke to just plaid versions of Tesla models? Or make them a $500 option for all other models? Is it because nobody would pay the $500? I mean if they are so great and All certainly that would be an awesome money making opportunity for Tesla right?

Willing to throw $100 at it, I just tested this theory myself given such reports, and my two orders have near identical delivery dates:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 9-29
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30
Update from this morning:

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 9-29
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 13-30

Which one will get a VIN first? Place your bets! :p

Okay, other question for those with a new LR or Plaid.... Where is that external noise maker speaker? How easy is it to "turn it the F off"? Software or good old manual method of "pulling the cord"? Volume control on the damn thing? I want to avoid waking people up at 4am! Looking for "incognito mode"!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Okay, other question for those with a new LR or Plaid.... Where is that external noise maker speaker? How easy is it to "turn it the F off"? Software or good old manual method of "pulling the cord"? Volume control on the damn thing? I want to avoid waking people up at 4am! Looking for "incognito mode"!
It is not a Hellcat. Unless you are driving through someones house, you will not be waking any one up.

From what I understand, you have to pull the plug - no software to turn it off. Thank regulation.

Been lurking for past month since ordering my MSLR Red/Cream,Walnut/19" on 7/1 (what luck ordering prior to both 5k increases!!)- original EDD of October. Yesterday my EDD was updated to Nov 22nd to Dec 12th. I have been trying to test drive the MS so I can check out the yoke for myself - I'm currently driving a M3 LR RWD that I picked up in June 2018 and stupid excited to upgrade to the MS LR.

To echo some of the members, I went from an SA who was extremely responsive, typically replying within an hour to my texts and then has gone entirely dark the last 3-4 weeks. I decided to call up Tesla this morning and to my surprise, I was connected with a human in literally minutes, and get this he tells me I deserve better communication given the amount of money I am spending! Color me shocked! Went on to explain there are no current refreshed MS for test drive due to shortage but he would get in contact with my SA and note that in my account. He did confirm that I am soft matched for late Nov early Dec as listed in my account.

I did mention that I would be open to upgrading to plaid if the case came up at EOQ where they'd do it without the 10k increase. He replied that the price uptick is automatic, in which I said I would not pay. We'll see if they have one in the Chicago area for EOQ push. Not sure I really want to pay that much extra for plaid anyway, but I'm in a financial spot in life where it isn't a stretch so I'm considering.

I have a model 3 perf now so understand all that. I have the 50 amp plug already installed. Guess my question is “Is the wall charger for $500 any faster at charging than the supplied charger in the refreshed model S. I know at times my model 3 charges at 34 miles a hour on the factory supplied charger.

I am not sure the wall one is really any faster in your case. I would still choose the wall mount for OCD cleanliness and the hassle of putting the other one in my car every morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
That's actually legally required to be on the car. Regulations. It's to warn pedestrians and keep them from getting run over. Much better to "wake up your neighbors" than to have a much worse problem occur IMO. Plus, it is not that loud at all, it's just enough so people can hear it coming. I would really recommend against disabling it. 😉

Last edited:

No adjustments. You would need to disconnect the speaker.

Forward it is almost not noticeable. Reverse it sounds like a goofy space ship. It is noticeable but not loud at all. I would be surprised if it disturbed anyone.

More than likely because of this thread it seems they gave everyone an EDD of February then will tweak from there. Underpromise over deliver. I think that's better?

Sucks for the people who order thinking they will have months to figure out payment then get blindsided by a VIN, but that is a hell of a lot better than what everyone here is going through. Probably make of a M3/Y problem than an S though.
i really hope so as February is a long wait. I am confident that all of us with February will receive the car 2021.

No adjustments. You would need to disconnect the speaker.

Forward it is almost not noticeable. Reverse it sounds like a goofy space ship. It is noticeable but not loud at all. I would be surprised if it disturbed anyone.
Can you select different sounds, easily or are you left with only the "woo, woo, woo, woo"?

So last week, USAA could not accurately identify my Tesla as a Model S LR. They insisted the VIN identifies it as a Model S Performance. I just spent 93 minutes on the phone with one of their agents, and long story short, I am not happy with USAA right now. If that's all you care about, you can stop reading now. If not, proceed to my rant below.

I was told last week the only way to properly identify my vehicle was to let the policy activate, on the date I chose, August 16th. I called this afternoon to tell them this is not a sensible solution. I did not want to activate a policy that misidentifies my car, pay the rate I was quoted, and then have the name manually changed. The agent told me that was the only solution. I asked to speak to a supervisor, after exhaustively explaining to her why this is unacceptable. Things like you are quoting me on the wrong car and a claim a few years from now might result in USAA telling me my car is identified as a pre-2021 model.

She told me a supervisor cannot change it and they have less permissions that she does to interact with the system. I explained if a supervisor has less authority and access than you do, they are not a supervisor. She then said her supervisor was at lunch, I then insisted to speak to another supervisor. After being on hold for several minutes, she came back and explained the policy can be corrected, the supervisor explained how to do it, and she can help me.

After another 20 or so minutes periodically on hold, she began listing all the policy options. I asked if it was the same as Friday's policy. I was told yes. She then proceeded to quote the wrong deductibles, property coverage amounts, and other options such as rental car service. After correcting everything, I asked why there were so many differences. She said the policy from Friday did not list a VIN. I took a breath, and then explained to her the VIN was why the vehicle was improperly identified...

After all of this, the monthly rate went up by $10 from Friday's quote. I asked her to explain why this changed and she said "I don't know". Also, she had to change my activation date to the 15th. There was no explanation given. I assume it was a limitation of their system doing two policies on the same activation day.

After checking my vehicle rates, I found that my other four vehicles have an accident free discount, but the Tesla does not. I'd love to call and get an explanation, but last year someone turned right, from a left turn lane, in front of me, and I chose to skid into a curb to avoid them. I was cited as being at fault because technically the other driver did not hit me. Knowing my luck, they will correct my policy by removing the discount from the other four vehicles...

I'm fed up at this point. USAA has always been good to me. I've gotten free roof replacements from them on my last two houses, and the vehicle claims have always been processed quickly and hassle free. But right now I'm really frustrated. Maybe in a few days, after I calm down, I can call them back and try to get some better explanations.
Yeah, I've been with USAA for some 30 years now. Insurance, banking, investments. For the first 26 years or so they were great. I don't know if it is new management or what, but I too am detecting a degradation of their customer service and experience over the last few years. Fortunately I haven't had to make an insurance claim recently but:

- The selling of their investment business to Charles Schwab (the general stuff) and Victory Capital (529 plans). Schwab has been ok; Victory Capital sucks. My daughter is entering college next month, and just trying to find information from them on how to start extracting tuition payments from the account has been a frustrating experience. I also can't get the auto connection to my financial advisor working because Victory just flat doesn't support it like every other financial institution does. It's like they are stuck in the 90's.

- Website/Mobile app: they seem to do no maintenance. The website has stopped playing nice with Safari (especially with bill pay) and the bill pay on the mobile app for iPad seems to never work anymore. I always get the error "there's a problem, try again later", even though it works fine on iPhone and on a desktop browser.

- Banking: there's a link to add an authorized user to your credit card on their website. Because my daughter is heading off to college, I wanted to make her an authorized user for school expenses. Would also build her credit without her having to get a crappy credit card aimed at students. Over a month I tried this and the link wouldn't work - always got an error message about it being under maintenance or something. So I called the bank and the person I spoke to had no way of doing this either -she got the same message and was clueless of what to do! Astounds me that there's no workaround for their employees. To this day (another month later) the problem still exists - they don't seem to want to fix it even after I advised her to tell whoever runs their IT to get it fixed. Had to go with Apple Card instead.

Their advertising has ramped up significantly. I'm seeing way more USAA ads on major sporting events like The Olympics and NFL Football, etc. I don't understand this - you have to have a military connection to be a member, so who are they going after with this mass advertising? Seems like a massive waste of money that they really need to put back into their systems and people. For the first time in 30 years, I'm seriously considering switching my accounts to other entitites.