Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD slipped by 2 days overnight and went to 8/28-9/3, and I still have a VIN that showd up on the website this past Saturday.

The rest of this post will either be an anatomy of a Texas Tesla purchase, or a forensic record of how it failed.

My VIN is currently in jeopardy as I was texted Tuesday and they stated if I did not get my title for my trade uploaded and the checklist complete within 72 hours of then, my VIN would be given award to another buyer. This Tuesday was also the same day they notified me via text that my VIN was issued.

I wrote an email and explained that once I saw my VIN pop up on the website this Saturday, I immediately electronically paid off our Mustang, which was processed and recognized by Ford Motor Credit on Monday, and they mailed our title the same day, which I should receive in the mail any day this week. I asked that they do not give my VIN to someone else regardless of that 72 hours as I am on track with being able to take delivery as currently scheduled, and shall easily be able to complete the checklist (and get that trade title uploaded) well before they will be able to deliver the car. I think I have performed fairly well on my obligations and communications as a purchasing customer so far.

They responded thanking me for the additional clarity, and that they added the notes to my account. They continued to state that that the vehicle is just beginning to make it’s way from the west coast, and that they would continue to monitor it’s transit and my account to ensure my delivery goes as smooth as possible. While assurance about that 72 hour window not being a problem was not there, the response was somewhat comforting, and it sounds like my car is beyond the factory in transit, which might make them less prone to yank my VIN at this point (I hope).

With my trade valuation good until 9/11, the EDD now at 8/28-9/3, my trade clear-title in the mail to me, my financing in place, I feel I am well placed to receive delivery in a normal world. However, this is Tesla, in Texas, and I am at the mercy of the performance of our USPS mail carriers. Because of this, I am actually in a VERY precarious position to receive delivery as scheduled in this particular world.
Maybe your Mustang is worth more at Carvana and you should if you can payoff the Tesla and sell Mustang separately. Your SA can remove the trade-in from your process. I did albeit much earlier in the process.

I have not seen any evidence that supports this theory.

I am testing it myself with two orders for identical configurations that were placed nearly a year apart (search under my username for the history there).

But so far, there is no evidence that newer orders that are priced higher for *identical configs* are being prioritized over older orders.
Makes me wonder, do folks with multiple orders create separate Tesla accounts for each order? Because if you were to use the same account, they could pretty easily check for that and give those sets of orders "special handling"...

While most of us here understand your frustration and disappointment, please also know that many of us (myself included) ordered 6+ months ago and we still don’t have a VIN and our MS Plaids/LRs. You ordered “like yesterday” compared to us. So let’s see how you feel in Nov/Dec and/or Jan, 2022 and still don’t have your car that your ordered on July 27th. It’s all about perspective.
Yeah…you may very well get your car sooner(with a recent #) rather than later cause that does happen quite often with Tesla. Although, you have CF which may be a problem. My holdup with RN 1145 (ordered on 3/2) is the 19”wheels. I had mid Sept. range after the apology email but it changed 2 days later to mid Oct. 😟 I would feel more encouraged if I see more 19”s being actually delivered…

Yeah…you may very well get your car sooner(with a recent #) rather than later cause that does happen quite often with Tesla. Although, you have CF which may be a problem. My holdup with RN 1145 (ordered on 3/2) is the 19”wheels. I had mid Sept. range after the apology email but it changed 2 days later to mid Oct. 😟 I would feel more encouraged if I see more 19”s being actually delivered…
Give it about two weeks (not kidding, I know the 'two week joke'). There are several members with 19s, a VIN and a delivery range with in the next two weeks. There is also a slew of photos out there with 19s showing up at service / delivery centers.

"If you order it, they will come" or something along those lines. That is what I am saying about my white interior.

Makes me wonder, do folks with multiple orders create separate Tesla accounts for each order? Because if you were to use the same account, they could pretty easily check for that and give those sets of orders "special handling"...
Because they are savvy enough to do that, just not everything else you want them to do?

No, we use the same account. In principle that could work. Thus far there is no indication that it does so. FWIW, the same account can be used for Tesla purchases in more than one country. Mine has two, I know of another one with three. AFAIK there is no limit to have many Tesla products or vehicles can be included in a single account. Also, the registration data are product specific, so need not be identical across products. Supercharger payment method is account level, so I do not know if it is possible to have different Supercharger payment method by vehicle.

In that respect it's easier than Apple App Store which requires a separate Apple account for every country for which there are country-specific apps. Bizarrely those apps coexist between countries easily, even though payment methods sometimes, but not always, must be domestic. Amazon similarly has distinct country specific accounts, although some content is worldwide.

It is easy to have multiple products cause problems but Tesla makes it easier than most.

And just like that, after a half day with EDD “Nov 15 - Dec 5”, today it says “Sep 15 - 30”.

Don’t you care about my nerves, Elon?

But seriously, as someone in software for over 20 years, I can’t fathom deploying an algorithm as bad as the thing that displays EDD on this website.
No kidding. Mine changed to February for less than 24 hours now back to Nov-Dec which I never thought I'd be so happy to see lol

Hi, as I get my bank account set up to transfer money to Tesla on delivery, I notice that they are now using the interbank transfer system called "Plaid" (no relation to the car I guess). That system requires putting your bank account log in info into the system. I have read about Plaid, and it does seem to be widely used, but I wondered if anyone here had an opinion on it, positive or negative?
Thanks!
[note, this system is asking for not only account number and bank routing number, but also your account login credentials--this last part is new to me]

Last edited:
Hi, as I get my bank account set up to transfer money to Tesla on delivery, I notice that they are now using the interbank transfer system called "Plaid" (no relation to the car I guess). That system requires putting your bank account log in info into the system. I have read about Plaid, and it does seem to be widely used, but I wondered if anyone here had an opinion on it, positive or negative?
Thanks!
@mmanner Why not pay at delivery with a certified/cashiers check? I wouldn't want to pay before inspecting the vehicle, and I certainly would not want to upload my bank account information into into some 3rd party transfer system! To each there own, I guess.

Thanks!
I haven't used it for delivery on my plaid yet but I've used it to pay for other things before. It is a very simple ACH payment that takes minutes to use by typing in your routing/account number from a checking account. Free, secure and easy to use.

In 9 days
11 Aug showed - 28 Aug - 17 Sep
12 Aug showed - 25 Aug - 14 Sep
13 Aug showed - 28 Aug - 11 Sep
14 Aug showed - 26 Aug - 8 Sep
15 Aug showed - 27 Aug - 8 Sep
16 Aug showed - 28 Aug - 8 Sep
17 Aug showed - 29 Aug - 8 Sep
18 Aug showed - 30 Aug - 8 Sep
19 Aug shows - 31 Aug - 7 Sep

Right after I "noticed a trend" with that "8 Sep" date, and mention it on here, the Tesla Computer Monkey takes it upon himself to make sure I don't get too settled in and happy!!!

WHERE'S MY CAR ELON???

I haven't used it for delivery on my plaid yet but I've used it to pay for other things before. It is a very simple ACH payment that takes minutes to use by typing in your routing/account number from a checking account. Free, secure and easy to use.
I used the ACH route before, last year with Tesla, but this time the Plaid service seems to be a new way of doing the transfer, that requires not just the account and routing number, but also requires you to give the Plaid service your bank login credentials as well. That is the new part for me.

Just stopped by to see my car. They have it locked up in the service area. Glad it is safe but sucks that I could only see the back end through the dirty service door, 50 feet away.
Man, that sucks. You should break-in and steal your own car. 😉.
I think the store rushed delivering mine after they received it from the factory and they Forgot to install the truck privacy screen, false bottom and the license plate frame. Yes, I would much rather have my car delivered, but when they rush they seem to miss things.