Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent. Ok so far, the Roadster actually seems to be more your style, although the Plaid is really close. The biggest issue is the 5 rating for the comfort, which I'm not sure if the Roadster will do. I will rate both cars as they will likely be, from 1 to 5.
Plaid:
Speed-5.0 until about 100 (where Roadster kicks in)
Handling- 4-4.4
Comfort - 5
Storage space- 5

Roadster:
Speed -5.0 (plus 250+ top speed)
Handling -5
Comfort- 3.5-4 to maybe 4.2
Storage space- 3.5-4
Those storage space scores on the roadster may be generous...if the die cast is any indication. The rear seats are basically non-existent, the roof window doesn't fit in the back unless you fold the rear seats down. There is no frunk (I mentioned this to somebody that works at the design studio and he hinted that the frunk may not be a thing on the roadster).

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Ok so now here's where decision time happened to come into play: let's talk carbon fiber trim.

First of all, I'll say I'm a huge fan of carbon fiber in general. It is usually sleek, discreet, and conveys FAST because it's supposedly lightweight material.

I regretted not ordering CF trim on my original P85D, as it was an option I didn't see the $900 (or whatever it was at the time) upcharge worth.

In the Model 3, I ended up wrapping the center console (super shiny and easy-to-scratch material) and wood dash trim (which looked kind of cheap, IMO) with a matte carbon fiber wrap, which mostly served to protect the original material, but also for looks.

So I was really keen on ordering my Plaid with CF trim, which is what I did on 4 out of my 5 orders. The one order I placed with wood interior was a desperate move to get a VIN before my 1.24% loan offer expired, and before the mid- to late-september EoQ rush.

With that out of the way, per my post above, I wanted to go check it out in person - so here are my impressions:
  • The material is super nice and high quality
  • There is a LOT of CF material, between the dash piece and the door trim, but especially on and around the center console
  • I really like the look of this CF trim when it's in the shade
  • HOWEVER, in the sun I thought it was way too reflective for my taste
I took a bunch of photos below, so I'll let you be the judge. But due to my eye sensitivity post-Lasik to bright objects, I'm afraid I will have to pass on CF trim..

I have not cancelled this order yet, but if anyone in the Bay Area is interested in this build, PM me and we can coordinate.
View attachment 701844 View attachment 701845 View attachment 701846 View attachment 701847 View attachment 701848 View attachment 701849 View attachment 701850 View attachment 701851 View attachment 701852
I’m personally kind of burnt out of CF these days, which is why I went with the wood option for my black interior Plaid this time around. When I picked up my car this week, really liked how the dark wood contrasted with the black interior.

Either way, I think we all here scored the hottest EV on the planet.

Those storage space scores on the roadster may be generous...if the die cast is any indication. The rear seats are basically non-existent, the roof window doesn't fit in the back unless you fold the rear seats down. There is no frunk (I mentioned this to somebody that works at the design studio and he hinted that the frunk may not be a thing on the roadster).
Ok, thank you for the insight! I haven't received my die-cast yet lol, hopefully soon, but this info is helpful. Ok so @Venom, with this new info in mind, my storage scores go to 2.5 to 3.5.🙂

Reactions: Venom and ssv22
The Model S mid life cycle “refresh” got delayed by months! Not holding my breath for a completely new car built from the ground up lol
Yes, but this car has been in development for 4 years already. And they won't be modifying a line most likely; they'll likely start from scratch, which will save time because don't have to modify existing parts.

Isn’t Roadster eta more like end of 2023 or early 2024?
At least. Tesla is getting 90% of the benefit from the Roadster's existence now after only building prototypes. The fact that it exists in prototype form is great advertising and builds goodwill toward the company which is worth more than actually producing and selling the car will ever be worth to their bottom line. Plus now that the Plaid is so fast they will need to make the Roadster something even more impressive along the lines of the Rimac Nevera (but even faster). Those cold gas thrusters have got to be a real engineering problem too, especially if you are meant to be able to use them on the street.

At least. Tesla is getting 90% of the benefit from the Roadster's existence now after only building prototypes. The fact that it exists in prototype form is great advertising and builds goodwill toward the company which is worth more than actually producing and selling the car will ever be worth to their bottom line. Plus now that the Plaid is so fast they will need to make the Roadster something even more impressive along the lines of the Rimac Nevera (but even faster). Those cold gas thrusters have got to be a real engineering problem too, especially if you are meant to be able to use them on the street.
Oh yeah the SpaceX package is totally USELESS to me. It's like NOS in production form IMO. Cheating in a way. I honestly don't think the SpaceX package will be legal, and God I hope they restrict the crap out of it, so it can only be used on runways. Wayy too fast, and uncontrollable for the street.
The non SpaceX Roadster was already going to run 8.8 though before the 4680s. It won't be that hard to do at all, even without a power boost, just with the massive weight reduction the 4680s offer. And we know the Roadster is going to make at least 1200 hp with the battery power the Plaid can't provide, even before the upgraded motor Elon was talking about.
And I do disagree that the public is happy with it. It's already starting to become a long time, and now that the Nevera is here, a LOT of people (YT or magazine, etc..) are asking "where is that Roadster?" I sure hope we see it soon, and my bet is that like Elon said, the Tri-Motor work done on the Plaid was a massive step.

So, guys. More intrigue on the 19” summer vs. AS. I took liberty to use the info provided by @Drew-MS. Got the attached text from post delivery contact at Devon. Apparently there may be summer 19” for Plaid and AS for LR. That’s what this Tesla rep told me on the phone. He thinks mine (and perhaps others?) got shipped with the wrong tires. He’s going to follow up with me tomorrow. Just dropped my car off for tint/PPF/ceramic and powder coat of wheels. Needless to say this issue could hold me up.
Wow that’s pretty crazy. I’m really curious to see if that’s the case. Thanks for sharing..

D712A095-72B3-4B7B-84B7-FA6AB087C473.gif

Oh yeah the SpaceX package is totally USELESS to me. It's like NOS in production form IMO. Cheating in a way. I honestly don't think the SpaceX package will be legal, and God I hope they restrict the crap out of it, so it can only be used on runways. Wayy too fast, and uncontrollable for the street.
The non SpaceX Roadster was already going to run 8.8 though before the 4680s. It won't be that hard to do at all, even without a power boost, just with the massive weight reduction the 4680s offer. And we know the Roadster is going to make at least 1200 hp with the battery power the Plaid can't provide, even before the upgraded motor Elon was talking about.
And I do disagree that the public is happy with it. It's already starting to become a long time, and now that the Nevera is here, a LOT of people (YT or magazine, etc..) are asking "where is that Roadster?" I sure hope we see it soon, and my bet is that like Elon said, the Tri-Motor work done on the Plaid was a massive step.
Yup and you know Tesla would only release a Roadster that’s faster than the Remac.
@sandman1330 Sorry this took so long - finally got a chance to get pictures and post them. I hope you didn't give up, while I was taking so long! My kiddo is an aspiring automotive photographer, and wanted to get "good" pictures...

By the way, that right front corner, the hood right over the headlight, is the worst panel gap I had. (It looks better in person, without the shadows!) I can live with that...View attachment 701808View attachment 701809View attachment 701810View attachment 701811View attachment 701812

Congrats ! The blue looks very nice. So do you prefer the look with the Aerocaps on or off ? I’ve been driving around with 2 caps on and 2 off. Still undecided lol

Yup and you know Tesla would only release a Roadster that’s faster than the Remac.

Congrats ! The blue looks very nice. So do you prefer the look with the Aerocaps on or off ? I’ve been driving around with 2 caps on and 2 off. Still undecided lol
Yup! Now they have a target for the Roadster also. Mid 8s for sure.😁

Look close at the wood. I'm having quality issues with mine. I just posted in the refresh issues thread:
Thanks, just saw that and added it to the Wiki - Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread

It sounds exactly right if the performance is software limited.

I am absolutely convinced that the hp is also software limited and that we will see a paid option to uncork it probably coincidentally around the time another EV comes close to the Plaid performance. Apparently the Plaid motors exceed 1200hp and are software limited to 1020. I can feel my wallet getting lighter already.
This is the first time in my life I own a car that I don’t feel needs more power. If they were able to add another 200hp, the car might be too fast for public streets.
I feel like it’s almost too fast for public roads now but it’s pretty awesome tbh. I’m happy I didn’t own this car in my early 20s.

This is the first time in my life I own a car that I don’t feel needs more power. If they were able to add another 200hp, the car might be too fast for public streets.
I feel like it’s almost too fast for public roads now but it’s pretty awesome tbh
Till you get that MOE POWAHHH BABEH! I know I would lol!😁 In all seriousness though, you wouldn't feel it down low. It would be more up top after 80 or so. And I doubt the current Plaid has 1200 in it. I could see 1100, but 1200 is more extreme. 4680s will do that deed.

Last edited: