Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious.... has anyone confirmed (for certain, not opinion or speculation) that the CF trim is "Real" CF layup, and not plastic that looks like CF? Real CF is expensive, and yet Tesla doesn't charge more for this CF.... This leaves me to believe it, and perhaps the spoiler, are plastic looking/masquerading as CF... The wood, is real wood, so there's that.
Pretty sure it's real CF. Wood isn't cheap, either.. if you take the impact of carbon emissions (or lack of carbon storage) into account, wood might be even more expensive than CF.

Just curious.... has anyone confirmed (for certain, not opinion or speculation) that the CF trim is "Real" CF layup, and not plastic that looks like CF? Real CF is expensive, and yet Tesla doesn't charge more for this CF.... This leaves me to believe it, and perhaps the spoiler, are plastic looking/masquerading as CF... The wood, is real wood, so there's that.
The margins on prior CF 100P and current plaids certainly can absorb the cost of carbon fiber trim when compare to LR variant. I’ve heard and read (TSLA long) these vehicles are cheaper to make but they’re still pushing 150k in price.

That is absolutely real carbon fiber! It's just the lesser known matte, or "dry carbon", with a satin coating form. The lacquer glossy type is much more common, and that's why the satin can look like plastic at times. It is important to remember that carbon used to be standard, and worked into the Plaid's cost, before wood became an option. I've seen it IRL, and that weave cannot be replicated in 3D printing. It has this multi fiber depth to it that's just captivating IMHO. You can actually see it bend upwards under the wireless phone chargers in @MarcG's pictures. Additionally, the Plaid uses either the exact same or a very close form to the M3 spoiler, and if you take that one off, you can see the weave underneath the spoiler.

Last edited:
They are from two different manufacturers. From what I've read so far Pirelli has made similar tire for Lucid which has low roll resistance. I suspect this has something to do with how the tire feels, the compound is not as soft. Softer tires tend to resist roll more, harder tires have lower resistance. possible the harder tires (pirelli) in our case could be why it feels more harsh than the 21". I'll try and drive them back to back to see again tomorrow. But so far I'm not liking the 19" pirelli's. The Michelin on the 21" feel much better from initial driving impressions.
This - the Michelin Primacy tires that came on the 19" rims that came with my last S (wheels I am selling, BTW :) ) had a UTQG of 500 and, while they were great for range, kinda sucked for road noise and ride quality. Moving to 21-in turbine with some nice squishy summer tires was a relief.

So, guys. More intrigue on the 19” summer vs. AS. I took liberty to use the info provided by @Drew-MS. Got the attached text from post delivery contact at Devon. Apparently there may be summer 19” for Plaid and AS for LR. That’s what this Tesla rep told me on the phone. He thinks mine (and perhaps others?) got shipped with the wrong tires. He’s going to follow up with me tomorrow. Just dropped my car off for tint/PPF/ceramic and powder coat of wheels. Needless to say this issue could hold me up.

Attachments

• 0A63FDF3-5218-468F-BC06-511DF019B957.jpeg
    0A63FDF3-5218-468F-BC06-511DF019B957.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 59
@sandman1330 Sorry this took so long - finally got a chance to get pictures and post them. I hope you didn't give up, while I was taking so long! My kiddo is an aspiring automotive photographer, and wanted to get "good" pictures...

By the way, that right front corner, the hood right over the headlight, is the worst panel gap I had. (It looks better in person, without the shadows!) I can live with that...View attachment 701808View attachment 701809View attachment 701810View attachment 701811View attachment 701812

1630032783140.gif

OK that will keep me going for awhile longer… absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for those. And tell your kiddo he has a future as a photographer, great shots!