Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you....tempting to say the least, but ever since my account says est delivery: Sept 20-30, I figured my patience will pay off, and I'll take delivery of my car soon (even if it slips in Oct). Still no VIN and my Tesla account still shows the same...checking my account multiple times per day now wondering if/when I get a VIN.

I simply CANNOT believe that my local SC Mgr or even the FL RM cannot call or email SOMEONE at the Tesla Fremont factory and ask..."hey guys, one of our local customers, RN1144 who is on the 'Priority Production Planning List' and ordered on 2/5/21... is waiting for a white MS Plaid with white/black/carbon fiber interior, 21" wheels, & FSD...do you guys at the factory have that build going through production now? Can we tell him he's about to get a VIN very soon for likely delivery end of Sept, 2021 because that's what his Tesla account says?" How F'ING DIFFICULT IS THAT???????????? 🤔 o_O 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
Folks can correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've been seeing, I'm not expecting to see a VIN until I'm into my delivery window...

and, frankly, although I'm also constantly checking for account updates, I'm more so anticipating my date to slip rather than get a vin... trying to protect my sanity (given that I ordered in April, I won't even begin to try to imagine what you and the other O-G's are feeling)

Folks can correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've been seeing, I'm not expecting to see a VIN until I'm into my delivery window...

and, frankly, although I'm also constantly checking for account updates, I'm more so anticipating my date to slip rather than get a vin... trying to protect my sanity (given that I ordered in April, I won't even begin to try to imagine what you and the other O-G's are feeling)
There is no real rhyme, reason or pattern to their VIN distribution. I would say you should get a VIN as you get with one or two days of your delivery date range. The VIN assignment could be further out considering logistics to your delivery (truck, train, prep., etc.). But I would expect a VIN before your range, because the range is your delivery, you still have to get the car to the delivery location, which typically is not included in the range. Your range should tighten up as well.

Last edited:
I visited Virgina once about 13 years ago and got a ticket for 43 in a 40, no sugar.
I have some friends in the Fairfax (NoVA) area that I've visited a number of times. Always very careful down there, except when I had to follow my friend down 95 to Richmond. We proceeded to do no less than an average of 90mph down the hot lanes while the other side was jammed with traffic.

I was scared sugarless 😆 that a cop was gonna pull us over and beat us with a nightstick with all of the stories I'd heard about down there, but he'd lived his whole life in VA, so I trusted him. Made it there in great time with no drama, haha.

I have some friends in the Fairfax (NoVA) area that I've visited a number of times. Always very careful down there, except when I had to follow my friend down 95 to Richmond. We proceeded to do no less than an average of 90mph down the hot lanes while the other side was jammed with traffic.

I was scared sugarless 😆 that a cop was gonna pull us over and beat us with a nightstick with all of the stories I'd heard about down there, but he'd lived his whole life in VA, so I trusted him. Made it there in great time with no drama, haha.
I know where I live the cops seem to be more lenient if your plate is from this state. They like to collect taxes from the tourists first. 🤣

There is no real rhyme, reason or pattern to their VIN distribution. I would say you should get a VIN as you get with one or two days of your delivery date range. The VIN assignment could be further out considering logistics to your delivery (truck, train, prep., etc.). But I would expect a VIN before your range, because the range is your delivery, you still have to get the car to the delivery location, which typically is not included in the range. Your range should tighten up as well.
For us folks here in FL, I've been told it's approx 3 weeks from VIN assignment to actual delivery. So this is the reason for my inquiry and frustration at this point. But having said that, taking delivery on the last day of Sept could mean a VIN assignment as late as Sept 9th and today is Sept 1st. I get it. Just pushing a little bit here. ;)

For us folks here in FL, I've been told it's approx 3 weeks from VIN assignment to actual delivery. So this is the reason for my inquiry and frustration at this point. But having said that, taking delivery on the last day of Sept could mean a VIN assignment as late as Sept 9th and today is Sept 1st. I get it. Just pushing a little bit here. ;)

Reactions: impastu and Drew-MS
On a more hopeful and exciting note, just received notification that my new 21" Signature Monoblock lightweight forged SV104 wheels (brushed black triple tinted) are ready to ship (and yes, they'll arrive way before my MS Plaid, lol! 😜). Picture these on my white MS Plaid. Let the drooling begin! LOL. 🤤🔥:cool:
Sflgator Tesla MS Plaid - Signature Monoblock forged SV104 wheels - brushed black triple tinted.JPG

Are we referring to like southern/rural VA? I live in northern VA and I rarely see people pulled over. If you're doing 75 on the highway (which is 55), you're still going too slow.
I am in Leesburg, VA which is northern VA. We have Leesburg cops, Loudoun County Sherriff and State cops all patrolling my little town. I see people pulled over almost every day.

I do. He is actually quite accurate, and people here forget that he said these changes wouldn't happen until later this year at the earliest. He only REVEALED them on June 10th, as to not get his sources in trouble. Actually, for as long as I've been following him (since May-ish) he hasn't been wrong about one thing.
His statements aren’t even complete when he makes them. How is it accurate that the refresh no longer has radar? Does that mean cars are now shipping without it? Does it mean that the latest software push no longer uses it in existing cars that already have radar? There isn’t enough detail to his statements.

His statements aren’t even complete when he makes them. How is it accurate that the refresh no longer has radar? Does that mean cars are now shipping without it? Does it mean that the latest software push no longer uses it in existing cars that already have radar? There isn’t enough detail to his statements.
It was really clear to me...... all cars shipping now do not have radar. And welcome to Twitter with the incomplete statements. Complete par for the course.:)

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Anyone think this move from radar to teslavision for distance following has anything to do with TACC and AP active cars running into things on the side of highway (like cop cars)???

Before I get flamed, yes, I know a lot of things run into cop cars on the side of the road, not just Teslas.

Ok, that was just toooooo quick. I'm on board with 2021plaid being a bot. (sorry 2021)

Anyone think this move from radar to teslavision for distance following has anything to do with TACC and AP active cars running into things on the side of highway (like cop cars)???
Yes, that is part of why they are transitioning to Tesla Vision. (They have showed how Tesla Vision recognizes the situation and slows down way earlier than radar.)

Nothing practical lol. If Tesla delivered my car when the configurator said I'd get it, I would've 100% taken the Plaid, but now owning LR for 1 full month, no reason to get a Plaid.
I have an LR order due in late October-nov and tbh I feel like if that was here now I’d take it over my plaid.

I have a white/black/cf plaid set for delivery and I’m deciding between keeping it and selling once my Lr comes or passing on it all together and being Tesla-less until mine comes.

Here is an excellent video detailing the 2021.32 series of SW, along with the new car controls UI, which I personally hadn't seen before:

@2021plaid MUST be a bot! ;)or are you just independently wealthy and don't need to work? How do you have so much time to spend here on TMC & YTube??

Plaid order thoughts… I have a vin for msm/blk/cf/19, tried to switch to cream/cf though, SA said I would have to place another order. So I placed one today and so far I have March vs like two weeks. I’m trying to figure out if March is real or going to change to like a October. I know it’s a crapshoot but anyone have any insight or guesses? Thx!

Thank you....tempting to say the least, but ever since my account says est delivery: Sept 20-30, I figured my patience will pay off, and I'll take delivery of my car soon (even if it slips in Oct). Still no VIN and my Tesla account still shows the same...checking my account multiple times per day now wondering if/when I get a VIN.

I simply CANNOT believe that my local SC Mgr or even the FL RM cannot call or email SOMEONE at the Tesla Fremont factory and ask..."hey guys, one of our local customers, RN1144 who is on the 'Priority Production Planning List' and ordered on 2/5/21... is waiting for a white MS Plaid with white/black/carbon fiber interior, 21" wheels, & FSD...do you guys at the factory have that build going through production now? Can we tell him he's about to get a VIN very soon for likely delivery end of Sept, 2021 because that's what his Tesla account says?" How F'ING DIFFICULT IS THAT???????????? 🤔 o_O 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬
Do you not know Tesla’s philosophy - “why make it simple when you can make it difficult”?

and I don’t mean that in jest… they’re fvcking ridiculous and hire the most uncustomer-centric people . I would say by design!