Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, get some real $20 jack pads for that $164,000 car!
I agree... try using hockey pucks at the correct lift points. ;)

1631034478151.png

Has everyone who took delivery looked underneath their front bumper with great detail? I really didn’t, but after looking at my PPF under the front lip to see how it was curing (a different event of its own) I noticed some scratching and scuffing in the lip and plastic cover/diffuser :(. I reported it to Tesla through service appointment asking for replacement of the front bumper and diffuser. The appointment is scheduled but no estimate of repair there yet. I’ve had the car for just over a week when noticing this and I have not hit anything or even come close to bottoming out. I’m quite meticulous when it comes to taking care of my cars.
I actually laid on the ground during my inspection to make sure no loading/unloading issues occurred.

wasnt so much the yoke itself (although I still wonder why Randy Probst felt the need to remove the Yoke and replace with a round wheel for Pikes peak) but the combination of yoke/no stalks/horrid turn signal buttons/removal of ability to honk horn via airbag) that raised the most noise.

I have yet to see ONE review that states that the combination of all of the above are BETTER than round wheel/stalks/horn via airbag. Not one.
In a perfect world, I'd choose a yoke with a turn signal stalk and the horn via airbag. Love the yoke now that I'm used to it. The buttons are fine too but I'd still prefer a turn signal stalk. Not a big deal though.

I actually laid on the ground during my inspection to make sure no loading/unloading issues occurred.
Exactly what I plan to do after stopping during my nightly dog walk to watch a big car carrier in my neighborhood unload a car from the upper deck. There was a bit of a rough landing and I heard or horrible crunch when the bumper of the car contacted the street rather quickly and the guy jumped out of the way. Bit of an extreme example as I could see the bumper had come off on one side but there is a big rush to get these cars delivered and we're all only human.

FYI, not a Tesla so this is not intended as a comment on Tesla deliveries or loading/ unloading.

wasnt so much the yoke itself (although I still wonder why Randy Probst felt the need to remove the Yoke and replace with a round wheel for Pikes peak) but the combination of yoke/no stalks/horrid turn signal buttons/removal of ability to honk horn via airbag) that raised the most noise.

I have yet to see ONE review that states that the combination of all of the above are BETTER than round wheel/stalks/horn via airbag. Not one.

After two months of driving with the yoke, it's fully my view that this is a muscle-memory/comfort thing more than a "safety" thing, and all of the arguments have been "but I am used to this, why fix what ain't broke". It's not a bad argument, but the yoke/stalkless design, as implemented, is no worse than a full steering wheel with stalks. I almost exclusively drive my Plaid (every excuse to drive!), but the other day got into my wife's SUV to run to the store, and I found myself getting annoyed with the stalks for turn signals because I kept pushing the location on her wheel where my turn signals would have been. I would never claim "the full steering wheel is horrible!" when it's simply a matter of my muscle memory having shifted.

There was not a single point during my drive where I said "yeah, I miss this about the full wheel". Some of the common arguments for why the yoke is so bad:

- Turn signals are awkwardly placed -> engage the signal before turning
- I might have to turn left and then quickly turn right, so engaging the turn signal before turning is awkward -> Not really after some practice
- I can't press the airbag for the horn -> if you just get used to pressing your heel 3 inches up and 2 inches to the right (to cover the three buttons on the right side of the yoke), it's the same motion (pressing with your palm) and does the same thing
- Tight turns are harder -> I've gotten used to doing a full U-turn or three-point turn without issue due to approach angles
- I like to cruise with one hand on top of the wheel -> so did I, but I adjusted and it's just as comfortable holding the sides or bottom with one hand

Maybe I'm in the minority. I'm not dogging the full steering wheel - if the refresh had come with it, I would not have blinked twice. That said, after getting used to the yoke, I don't necessarily think it's "better", but I think it is absolutely no worse than a normal full wheel. I'm not a YouTube person so you won't see a review from me.

Last edited:
It’s funny that so many people complain about turn signal buttons, Ferrari has had them on their cars for awhile. I wish the horn was left in the center like Ferrari has it though. I also like how the left turn signal button is on the left and right on the right, in F cars.
from what ive read, even this would be a massive improvement. Or triggers on the back of each side of the yoke..