Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I am in for the 6th date shift in September since today is the start of the last EDD range edit Sept 23-30. Plaid Blue/white int./CF/19"/FSD.
no VIN in sight yet. Down to the Q3 end wire
We have the same configuration. Had sept 25 to 30 EDD. This morning got an email to select a delivery time tomorrow September 27. Then vin showed up on our account. Taking delivery a 1 pm. Hang in there.

As I reported earlier, for those of you trying to get the FSD beta, my opinion of the Safety Score is that it is entirely too sensitive. On my first drive, at NO TIME did I brake hard, yet it dinged me for that. My goal when driving now (and has been for more than a year) is to get the highest rated mpge. To that end, I coast whenever possible and feather the accelerator pedal to allow regenerative braking when coming up to a stop sign or stop light so as to reclaim as much regenerative energy as possible. I finally touch the brake when regenerative braking is no longer showing green and the car is probably going 3 mph or less to stop. At NO TIME did I aggressively turn the car. I have no idea how I got dinged for this. And at no time did I follow the car in front of me too closely. My first drive was on I-465 which runs for about 51 miles completely around the outside of Indianapolis. I-65 and I-70 cross in the middle of town inside the I-465 corridor and parts of I-65 is shutdown for construction, leading to much more traffic on I-465 than normal because the traffic must use it to traverse from the north side to the south side since I-65 is closed. There was a lot of traffic when I drove, much like rush hour, but I still drove 5 or more car lengths behind the car in front of me at all times. I have since then driven several times to see if my cumulative score gets better. Per Tesla's information, the "unsafe following" takes effect when the car is travelling 50 or more mph. My advice to those of you trying to get 90+ score on this is to drive in the far right lane AT the speed limit and HOPE no one passes you on the left and immediately pulls in front of you in your lane. Should that happen, you are most definitely going to get dinged for unsafe following. Should you cram your brakes on to put distance between the two cars, you are going to get dinged for hard braking, so it's a catch 22 on this. And yes, I know this is completely off topic, but it seems most of the people on this thread are interested in the FSD beta, so I'm posting it. Attaching first and last Safety Score for your edification. You can see the % figures going down in each category. Still can't figure out the aggressive turning. It's got me stumped!

View attachment 714550View attachment 714551
I've reversed my course on the FSD Beta. I think I may actually try it for a week...only to see how low of a score I can get, lol. 😜 j/k...as of right now, not going to bother. Although I understand the reasoning, I really don't like this evaluation process (which I have to wonder, will that last longer than just 1 week of sending driving & in-cabin attentiveness data back to Tesla). I bet that even if/when you get accepted to the FSD Beta program, you must accept the terms of allowing all data to be sent back to Tesla for however long the FSD Beta program lasts, which could be many months (or years?). No thank you.

I'm to am hoping my car will be a '22 model year. My EDD puts me right on the bubble.
Q: Does anyone actually KNOW when Tesla institutes the model year change over?? I've seen lots of speculations and guesses. It'd be nice to know for sure (for resale in 2-3 yrs to buy Roadster).
I was told Tesla doesn't change over the model year to the next model year until either Dec or Jan (next year) build, while most other auto mfgr's begin designating their cars (the next year model) that arrive in Oct or Nov (sometimes even in Sept) of the previous year.

Another Tesla Plaid Channel video! Really good results with the 19s! 9.2s for sure, and my guess seems to shaping up to correct; that the difference on the dragstrip between 21s and 19s will be negligible.

Wins in drag racing happen by “negligible” margins. How much do people pay for carbon fiber wheels to save a few pounds? The 21”s weigh an enormous 9 lbs more per corner… No way to ignore such a HUGE difference.

Wins in drag racing happen by “negligible” margins. How much do people pay for carbon fiber wheels to save a few pounds? The 21”s weigh an enormous 9 lbs more per corner… No way to ignore such a HUGE difference.
OK first off lol, I have to ask: are you Andrew from the Tesla Plaid Channel? If so, welcome to the thread! :)
I'm a subscriber, and I love your videos!
Second, I meant that the 21s are still negligibly faster, running consistent 1.99 and 2.0 0-60 on the street and dragstrip, and 9.23 to 9.25 on the street and dragstrip as well.
A number of members here have gotten those results, and so have people on YT. However, 9.26 out of the 19s are a huge win, and the difference in speed seems to mainly be on the street.

Note: I have no real preference for either, as the upcoming 20" ZeroG wheels would be the ones for me. Just trying to be realistic.:)

Last edited:
My timeline so far:

EDD post Tesla apology email: 9/30-10/20
Shortly after: 9/20-9/30
About Sept. 1: 9/18-9/29
Sept. 10: SA said I am matched to Oct. production/delivery
Sept. 11: 9/15-9/29
Sept. 16: 9/18-9/27
Sept. 19: 9/21-30
Sept. 22: 9/24-30
Sept. 25: 9/27-30
ARGH

View attachment 714151

MSLR, MS with black, 19" wheels, no FSD, Ordered May 1 in mall, RN1148
Whoa! Late last night, I had no VIN and the same 4th time delayed this month EOQ EDD. I woke up this morning and saw an email from Tesla asking me to schedule my delivery AND I HAVE A VIN (4471) and based on the available pickup dates it is ready for pickup at the Costa Mesa delivery center (15 minutes from my house).

Wow, VIN and delivery availability THE SAME DAY!?!?! Does this mean someone else had the VIN and rejected the car after inspection or is this super EOQ mojo? Crap, I don't care. Unless pieces are falling off, I'll take delivery. I have been waiting too long (though not as long as some/ sorry) and thanks to @lbowroom I know that at least some of us have had good luck at the service centers where I live.

What do the VIN numbers mean again? Is 4471 a recent build?

With EOQ, I am not sure a spiffy new super rushed EOQ build is better than one that is a month or 2 old. It's all a crap shoot until I see the car.

Now it's off to rush and figure out the best checklist to use (assuming they give me time to inspect and there aren't a ton of people waiting to take delivery EOQ).

I was so sure I wouldn't be getting the car until mid October (with my October production match according to my SA and the 4 delays in my online EDD) that I have my contractors working on my total garage remodel this week. Maybe I can get PPF done this week while my garage is a total mess. Something else to try and get done quickly.

Lucy let me kick the ball!!! Charlie Brown has finally had his day unless I got my shows wrong and this is really Gung Ho and the last record target production car to leave the line.

MSLR, MS with black, 19" wheels, no FSD, Ordered May 1 in mall, RN1148

Depends on if the acceleration is traction limited or torque limited. If the car can supply more torque than the tires have traction the mass of the wheels doesn’t matter.

Do you guys have these little lines?
You can also see it when the speed limit symbol/sign pops up

Attachments

• 6D5AE7FF-53B6-421F-909F-9F90C512A38D.jpeg
    6D5AE7FF-53B6-421F-909F-9F90C512A38D.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
@kanye Well, I don't have my car yet, but that looks like a few bad pixels.
BTW, I was in the Peace Corps (a lifetime ago), stationed in the Khalahadi desert near Kanye, Botswana. :cool:
That s what I was thinking too but the rest of the screen looks fine. It’s only when someone really white comes up.

Lol thank you for the story

I was told Tesla doesn't change over the model year to the next model year until either Dec or Jan (next year) build, while most other auto mfgr's begin designating their cars (the next year model) that arrive in Oct or Nov (sometimes even in Sept) of the previous year.
My pre-refresh MS was built October 2020 and delivered November 2020 and had a 2021 VIN code. I am under the impression that the changeover is October 1st.

We have the same configuration. Had sept 25 to 30 EDD. This morning got an email to select a delivery time tomorrow September 27. Then vin showed up on our account. Taking delivery a 1 pm. Hang in there.

Did you end up changing to wood? If not, then it's a good sign agree. You ordered months after me which utterly infuriates me against telsa though.

Last edited:
Is the delivery center the same as the service center?

I finally got a VIN this morning with a text inviting me to select a delivery time (and the car is at Costa Mesa and can be picked up as early as tomorrow morning). Unfortunately, I can't pick it up until Tuesday but would like to waste some time today getting a pre-inspection of everything I can see until I pick it up since I won't have a lot of time Tuesday either (darn job is interfering with my pickup).

My family thinks I am being ridiculous and obsessive (which I am). If someone has the address of the delivery center in Costa Mesa, CA, or has done anything ridiculous as what I am planning to do today and has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

As I reported earlier, for those of you trying to get the FSD beta, my opinion of the Safety Score is that it is entirely too sensitive.
Yup, definitely agree, especially on the "aggressive turning" and "aggressive braking."

Things that happen while in autopilot do not affect your score.
Yup, the only thing that dings you when using autopilot is if you ignore the "Apply Slight Turning Force to Wheel" alerts long enough that the AP disengages.

I've managed three perfect score drives now. Two I used AP for 99% of the time, and one I hand drove so conservatively that I made people mad. :)

So if you're looking to get the best score you can without making your fellow drivers angry, use the AP as much as you safely can.

Oh, and read this: Determining Safety Score

I got a text and email from Tesla telling me to schedule the appointment to pick up my Plaid. I set it up for Monday. My SA just emailed me and said my car isn’t showing delivered to the dealer (or whatever you call the place where you pick up the car). He said those texts/emails are just automated and sent out, with no verification an actual car exists for delivery.

I hope everything you guys say about all this BS I have had to deal with during the whole process will magically disappear from memory the moment I mash the accelerator pedal for the first time. I have bought too many cars over the years, and this whole journey with Tesla has just been laughable.
It is much easier to let the bad memories fade when you get the car but the experience will leave a mark :(

I've reversed my course on the FSD Beta. I think I may actually try it for a week...only to see how low of a score I can get, lol. 😜 j/k...as of right now, not going to bother. Although I understand the reasoning, I really don't like this evaluation process (which I have to wonder, will that last longer than just 1 week of sending driving & in-cabin attentiveness data back to Tesla). I bet that even if/when you get accepted to the FSD Beta program, you must accept the terms of allowing all data to be sent back to Tesla for however long the FSD Beta program lasts, which could be many months (or years?). No thank you.
In the immortal words of Tea Leoni - "Honey, you are so screwed"
I've seen how you drive; there is no way they are letting you into that club even on your best behavior :0
:)