Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
okay so I picked up my Plaid yesterday, here are my thoughts:
Delivery:
~ For the most part delivery went super smooth. This is my 4th Tesla and I can tell you that Tesla has come a very long way when it comes to build quality and panel gaps etc. However, there were a few issues with interior that my SA promised will be addressed. Here are the issues:
1) Front Passenger Seat headrest not seated all the way - black threading visible only on the right side of the headrest
2) Driver seat wrinkles
3) Rear Right Passenger Seat wrinkles - looked crappy
4) Front Trim around the Screen had wrinkles :(
5) Plastic Trim piece under the trunk area next to tail lights was not aligned properly on the right side - it looked bad
6) Missing floor mats and license plat holder - as happened with several other users.

Honestly, the issues were miniscule compared to my past experiences :p

Impressions:
~ I picked up the car Sunday evening at SC in Ohio and immediately drove the car over 300 miles for rest of the day. I find the car to be:
1) Yoke is a non-issue - Yes, there is a learning curve involved and I did find myself looking for the missing stalks and top of the steering. But it's nothing I cannot get used to and all the other first impression videos and posts here helped me prepare for it immensely. My brother drove my car for only about 5 miles and even he felt like he can get used to Yoke easily.
2) Quieter and more comfortable than my 2020 Raven. The difference in ride quality was obvious to me within the first 5-10 miles. Driving on city streets is eerily quiet in this car and at highway speeds of over 80mph is when you start to hear some road/wind noise but compared to older Model S it's is significantly improved.
3) Acceleration on this thing is carnage, it makes Raven look like child's play especially at higher speeds. You feel the hard pull when you push the accelerator regardless of what your current speed is which is....insane....I mean Plaid 😎
4) Rear screen is marvelous and passengers love it.

Gripe: Only gripe I have is that I do not find the perforated seats on Plaid to be as comfortable and soft compared to my 2020 Raven. This is a huge bummer for me. For some reason passengers on the rear seats did not notice this, however, the stiffness of the driver and passenger seats was immediately evident to my gf and I. I do not know why it felt this way because apparently the consensus is that Plaid seats are more comfortable than 3/Y or Raven. I beg to differ on this one for now. May be the seats need to be broken in or something but they started to hurt our lower backs which is something we never experienced with my Raven. After sitting in my Plaid for over an hour my gf said she loved the center screen, wireless charging, door pockets and every other tiny thing Tesla updated, however, overall she likes my previous car better because of seat comfort 😮
Do I need a new gf? 🤣

Plaid is definitely a pleasant upgrade over my last gen Model S which I adore so freaking much and am kind of sad for saying goodbye to it. The stiffness of the seats has me slightly disappointed and leaves more to be desired, may be I'll get over it someday. Pics of delivery issues attached. I am sure some of you will find more sh*t wrong with my car :p
A huge thank you to all of you especially the ones who go out of their way to help others on this forum, the ones who dealt with my b*tching and moaning for the last few months and lastly the ones who are hilarious. Honestly, my wait wasn't even long compared to the most of you and I hope all of you get your cars soon so we all have something other than the delivery process to complain about 😉

Will post some pics of the car soon.
Thx for the detailed write up. Congratulation on your Plaid car looks stunning and yeah i do believe new GF might help to solve the seats issue jk.

Did you report the seat issues wrinkles etc? If yes what did they say replacing it?

Since I have never done this I must suffer from some level of learning here. I go to the parts catalog, I find a part. That's it- it just shows it to me. How do I actually buy it?View attachment 714845
No worries--it is not exactly intuitive if you have not done it before. :)
  1. Collect the part numbers and quantities of the things you want. I select, copy, and paste the part number and description into a doc. Be careful with this part to make sure you get the right parts for the right car.
  2. Open a ticket in the Mobile app (i.e. under "something else") and paste the info from your doc into the ticket and then submit it
  3. Service will get back to you with a quote including pricing and availability--once you e-sign it, they will fulfill it. If the Parts guy/gal has any question, they'll contact you
  4. Alternatively, you can take a hard copy of you doc into the Parts counter at your nearest Tesla store and handle it that way
Hope that helps

I ordered within the first minute or two of Plaid being available on Battery Day. RN11394xxxx.

Plaid / Black exterior / White interior / carbon fiber / 19" wheels.

I have an estimated delivery of October 18th - November 8th.

I know those options were problematic, but it seems like tons of people with the same or similar configs have already gotten their cars or will very soon. I don't know why I was bumped to the back of the line behind so many others. Very, very frustrating. Been waiting over a year now.
I think only reliable quantities delivered in white are this month and west coast for EOQ (except for that guy in KY or TN or somewhere, which is curious). We get ours in October...Florida's were probably on the production line last week, and NY tri-state and mid-atlantic this and next week. My guess!

Thx for the detailed write up. Congratulation on your Plaid car looks stunning and yeah i do believe new GF might help to solve the seats issue jk.

Did you report the seat issues wrinkles etc? If yes what did they say replacing it?
Interesting that almost everyone are seeing wrinkles in their MS Plaid seats, but personally, I'm not sure I really care about such minor issues like that, especially since it's likely that over time, the seats will get a bit wrinkled here and there anyhow. In fact, I would bet that almost every vehicle I've ever had actually had a few leather seat wrinkles at delivery (but I just never noticed or cared about them) and certainly after a few years usage, the seats almost always look "used" ...wrinkled, dirty, etc. Now, having said that, this will be my first Tesla and first time having the Tesla "vegan" leather seats so not sure if the wrinkles tend to occur over time or not with these seats, but again...meh, who cares in my opinion, when you're sitting in the seats anyhow? ;) Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I think only reliable quantities delivered in white are this month and west coast for EOQ (except for that guy in KY or TN or somewhere, which is curious). We get ours in October...Florida's were probably on the production line last week, and NY tri-state and mid-atlantic this and next week. My guess!
Funny because now I'm rooting for an Oct 1st or 2nd production for my white on white/cf MS Plaid and delivery mid October...IF, and only IF Tesla changes the model year to 2022 for October & later productions now (N instead of M the VIN). But, this won't be verified until we see VINs coming 10/1/21 & later. So we'll see...still no VIN for me here in South Florida; so much for Tesla's "priority production" b.s I got months ago....terrible how they feed you that garbage as a way to string you along. Geez. :rolleyes:🤬

okay so I picked up my Plaid yesterday, here are my thoughts:
Delivery:
~ For the most part delivery went super smooth. This is my 4th Tesla and I can tell you that Tesla has come a very long way when it comes to build quality and panel gaps etc. However, there were a few issues with interior that my SA promised will be addressed. Here are the issues:
1) Front Passenger Seat headrest not seated all the way - black threading visible only on the right side of the headrest
2) Driver seat wrinkles
3) Rear Right Passenger Seat wrinkles - looked crappy
4) Front Trim around the Screen had wrinkles :(
5) Plastic Trim piece under the trunk area next to tail lights was not aligned properly on the right side - it looked bad
6) Missing floor mats and license plat holder - as happened with several other users.

Honestly, the issues were miniscule compared to my past experiences :p

Impressions:
~ I picked up the car Sunday evening at SC in Ohio and immediately drove the car over 300 miles for rest of the day. I find the car to be:
1) Yoke is a non-issue - Yes, there is a learning curve involved and I did find myself looking for the missing stalks and top of the steering. But it's nothing I cannot get used to and all the other first impression videos and posts here helped me prepare for it immensely. My brother drove my car for only about 5 miles and even he felt like he can get used to Yoke easily.
2) Quieter and more comfortable than my 2020 Raven. The difference in ride quality was obvious to me within the first 5-10 miles. Driving on city streets is eerily quiet in this car and at highway speeds of over 80mph is when you start to hear some road/wind noise but compared to older Model S it's is significantly improved.
3) Acceleration on this thing is carnage, it makes Raven look like child's play especially at higher speeds. You feel the hard pull when you push the accelerator regardless of what your current speed is which is....insane....I mean Plaid 😎
4) Rear screen is marvelous and passengers love it.

Gripe: Only gripe I have is that I do not find the perforated seats on Plaid to be as comfortable and soft compared to my 2020 Raven. This is a huge bummer for me. For some reason passengers on the rear seats did not notice this, however, the stiffness of the driver and passenger seats was immediately evident to my gf and I. I do not know why it felt this way because apparently the consensus is that Plaid seats are more comfortable than 3/Y or Raven. I beg to differ on this one for now. May be the seats need to be broken in or something but they started to hurt our lower backs which is something we never experienced with my Raven. After sitting in my Plaid for over an hour my gf said she loved the center screen, wireless charging, door pockets and every other tiny thing Tesla updated, however, overall she likes my previous car better because of seat comfort 😮
Do I need a new gf? 🤣

Plaid is definitely a pleasant upgrade over my last gen Model S which I adore so freaking much and am kind of sad for saying goodbye to it. The stiffness of the seats has me slightly disappointed and leaves more to be desired, may be I'll get over it someday. Pics of delivery issues attached. I am sure some of you will find more sh*t wrong with my car :p
A huge thank you to all of you especially the ones who go out of their way to help others on this forum, the ones who dealt with my b*tching and moaning for the last few months and lastly the ones who are hilarious. Honestly, my wait wasn't even long compared to the most of you and I hope all of you get your cars soon so we all have something other than the delivery process to complain about 😉

Will post some pics of the car soon.
My guess is that you'll spend more time staring at your GF's toes than the wrinkles on seats...

Agree, this feels unfair. I would have expected you would be getting yours before Oct1. Hard to explain why not. Is your SA communicative? Mine isn't either, but in the case of a Plaid+ conversion they were supposed to have helped you get early dibs. Regardless, your order is 1year old. I'm on the 11th month and its was painful. Haven't had a car either for 4 months since I traded in. Was your EDD ever in Sept at any time? Maybe it's the xcountry part (you being in VA) but that seems doubful.
how do i get an SA? i don't have one to my knowledge. Should I call Tyco Road (closest delivery center)? Last few times i tried, their voicemail box was full. :/

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
how do i get an SA? i don't have one to my knowledge. Should I call Tyco Road (closest delivery center)? Last few times i tried, their voicemail box was full. :/
I've found calling the SC to be useless. Never an answer. Email as well, at least when I asked about my plaid order.
I did visit an extra time. If you don't have a service advisor you probably do on paper at the SC. Maybe you will get lucky and that person will be there when you visit. I've found anyone else who isn't your SA on paper won't do anything to help you really but will share info they know of with you.

I’m missing everything from all mats to trunk shelf, trunk covers and plate holder. They said it’s noted and they’ll be shipped to my house. Others have mentioned having to go to the SC to pick them up. I’ll keep submitting service appointments periodically until I get them. Have winter rubber in the front and back for now.
No and the comment was we don’t put things like that in writing. That was a few days later when I called and got some random rep.
You can take a reasonable amount of time to inspect hassle free. Interior and exterior. They aren’t going to let you test drive it. You have a day to log into the app and make a service appointment for anything needing fixing. I’m sure you have a few days but use the 24 hour rule to set an appointment up. Once set up, you can keep updating it if you find more. Highly recommend setting an appointment up the next day. You can add to it or cancel. If it’s super busy and you’re going on like an hour of inspection which could be kind of annoying, they may nudge you to finish up. They pride themselves on 5-10 minute turnarounds for many folks paralyzed by the new car. Just be aware they do their pre inspection now, miss things but also some reps dig in on what’s “to spec” or not on things like gaps. Just deal with it after through the service appointment and those people. You’re not going to not accept delivery 1) because you won’t find anything that bad and anything you do they’re going to fix and 2) you just wont because they’ll shrug, your car will be taken by someone else that day, you’ll lose your deposit and you’re back to the end of the line. So do a cursory full car go over, have them note any major issues, discuss leaving it or making an appointment, and do a forensic go over when you’re home.
There is no paperwork. You hand them your cashiers check. Your documents are online under your account/manage your car. Where they are for you now. I heard some will accept (maybe all?) personal checks. Cashier is just as easy, better for everyone, and takes 5 minutes in the bank. They hand you a temporary registration. That’s the extent of “paperwork“.
If you have questions they’ll answer. Just know no matter how many forums you belong to or how many videos you’ve watched or how many times you’ve read the manual, that day it all goes out the window other than the basic intuitive stuff. You’ll be a little overwhelmed. Take it to a parking lot somewhere close and mess around with setting up your app and phone. Profile settings. Mess around with the theater and music stuff. Change out the hard drive if you bought a different one. Format it. Etc etc. Also know you’ll think this or that isn’t working and almost every time it’s because you forgot something you thought you knew like a button on or off or the way something works where you missed one little key point. After a few days or a week it all start falling into place. You’ll watch a video again and catch what you missed. Or the manual or someone here will school you up with an aha moment answer. Good luck.

As someone who is helping others take delivery soon, one of the best written and pertinent posts I've seen.

Too bad Tesla can't provide this information.

id, I don't believe service centers will take them.
They took my personal check for ~$25k for partial payment no problem. Might not work in Texas or some other states, or perhaps first time Tesla buyers maybe. I believe that the Model X that burned on that lake was a fraud from someone buying Teslas with personal checks that bounce.

Yes, I did report the issue to my SA who said these issues will be addressed 🤞

Call Tesla and when you get through to someone they will be able to tell you which SA you have been assigned to. They will also be able to give you that persons extension.

My delivery isn’t until November/December, so I stopped by the Audi dealership too see if there were any E-tron GTs on the lot. They didn’t have any, but there was a RS7 with massive 22” wheels. It was a peacock 🦚, but I don’t think I could drive a gas guzzler again.

59740155-A0D5-4724-86AF-00F4C95B1B0E.jpeg

My guess is that you'll spend more time staring at your GF's toes than the wrinkles on seats...
Honestly, the seat wrinkles are not bad enough for me to seriously worry about them. If Tesla fixes it it'll be great but if they won't I will not b*tch about it. I do want them to replace the front trim around the screen since it is the area that is constantly stared at by everyone in the car so I'd want those wrinkles around the screen gone. For me a bigger issue than the seat wrinkles is the seats themselves. I still do not find them to be more comfortable than my old model S, however, that car was a test drive unit with 2,700 miles on it lol so may be it had several morbidly obese occupants who broke the seats right in for my comfort 🤣

Honestly, the seat wrinkles are not bad enough for me to seriously worry about them. If Tesla fixes it it'll be great but if they won't I will not b*tch about it. I do want them to replace the front trim around the screen since it is the area that is constantly stared at by everyone in the car so I'd want those wrinkles around the screen gone. For me a bigger issue than the seat wrinkles is the seats themselves. I still do not find them to be more comfortable than my old model S, however, that car was a test drive unit with 2,700 miles on it lol so may be it had several morbidly obese occupants who broke the seats right in for my comfort 🤣
I do wonder based on your feedback if Tesla had to get a new supplier for the white seats, and that the construction and "comfort" factor may be impacted. I say this because I have test sat a few Plaids an LR refresh S's at local delivery center and found the seats to be super comfortable. This was for a 10-20 minute mediation, not a few hour journey, so I'm not drawing any conclusion until I get serious butt time in mine. I do hope yours break-in and make you and gf happy with the acquisition...I know it will bother me if the seats are meaningfully less comfortable than the 750 I'm giving up.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
While on the topic of seat comparisons, the relatively shortlived premium “Next Gen” seats in 2014 P95Ds (which I think were made by Recaro) had very firm and tight side bolsters and also had pretty high bolsters in the back seat also, are definitely a tighter fit that the new Plaid (and I guess LR) seats.

I can’t say I favor one over the other at the moment, the new seats are definitely very comfortable, but they do have much less side bolstering in the Plaid. Need a long road trip to fully assess but I suspect they will be at least as good, and maybe better.