Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several issues to address.

The transport guys need training. Not sure why the car does not default to max ride height for transport. They‘ve ordered a new front bumper cover and under carriage cover. Driver’s door needs adjusting. Most annoying is a loud squeak in the passenger C pillar.
9336ACEC-141B-4C96-BD1F-24324AF33FAA.jpeg
A200D502-1562-487F-8E54-8784FB012679.jpeg
7DB929CB-C676-403B-943C-F9618BC56FCC.jpeg

Good news and bad news today.

I finally received a VIN, but it's a 2021 model year, built 10/29/21... So literally 2 days before what we all expect to be the switchover date. 😣

VIN is MF454.

So I'm stuck in sort of a rut. While all of us Tesla people know model years do not matter, the average person doesn't. I'm planning on keeping the car 18-24 months and to have waited this long to be 2 days from a model year switchover is a bit....annoying. There wasn't a real benefit of waiting.

I also told myself that I wouldn't get it if ANC wasn't turned on, as it is one of the primary features I'm looking forward to and I'm not quite sure I trust Tesla to deliver. I think they will release something, but I'd like to know it actually works first. On top of that, there's signs that others have pointed out that there's a motor coming for the screen tilting function.

So, idk, I'm in a bit of a rut. I obviously want the car pretty badly but I also don't want to make a decision to take it and then regretting it as soon as the model year updates and if/when they put that stupid tilting screen feature back in.

Luckily, I have around 2 weeks to decide as I live about as far away as you can from Tesla so I'm going to think on it next week and make a call based on how things go.

If I don't take it now, then I'd have a hold places on my account until Jan 1. Not doing the end of qtr rush *sugar* out the door end of year thing with them.
That is how I feel too, as got VIN a couple days ago and really wanted a 2022. I already pushed back once and it took about 2 1/2 months from push back to get this VIN. I am not sure Tesla will let me push back again, plus I have a buyer for my BMW.

I ordered May 2021. Got a EDD in August with a 4 week range mid Oct to Mid Nov. The range updated several times usually moving the earliest date back and narrowing the range until it was 1 week with a VIN about 2 weeks prior to delivery. Hope yours comes through soon. Mine was manufactured on 10/19/21
It's slightly infuriating that Tesla would deliver a May order before a January order to the same state with identical configs, but it's not your fault. Congrats and enjoy your car!

Last edited:
Several issues to address.

The transport guys need training. Not sure why the car does not default to max ride height for transport. They‘ve ordered a new front bumper cover and under carriage cover. Driver’s door needs adjusting. Most annoying is a loud squeak in the passenger C pillar.
View attachment 730071View attachment 730073View attachment 730074
On my 2015 red P85D I had similar issues with the carrier. My car was the last one on the truck (enclosed semi trailer) and it rubbed the back door the whole way from Cali to Texas. By the time the car arrived the rear lift gate and bumper had serious paint damage. The truck had knocked off the Tesla logo, rubbed through the paint all the way down to the metal.

They offered to repaint it locally but I insisted that they reorder the parts from Fremont, painted in the same shop as the car to ensure a perfect paint match. They obliged and after about a month wait I got my car in perfect condition.

1636234812266.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Christ. That door panel.
Even more frustrating is that 5 days prior to delivery, it was on the lot. I took pictures and went to the service center. I didn’t want to deal with it after delivery. I spoke with the service manager. He didn’t even want to hear about any issues. He stated the car was just off the transport. He said his prep guys were the best and they would catch “everything”. They caught nothing.
0E9C5C81-AE95-45F5-AD74-B7E0650B05B2.jpeg
86F47D31-5459-4886-8CE9-1450C7225D7A.jpeg
4A27DA39-8F03-40D7-81F1-EB4BD4479371.jpeg

On my 2015 red P85D I had similar issues with the carrier. My car was the last one on the truck (enclosed semi trailer) and it rubbed the back door the whole way from Cali to Texas. By the time the car arrived the rear lift gate and bumper had serious paint damage. The truck had knocked off the Tesla logo, rubbed through the paint all the way down to the metal.

They offered to repaint it locally but I insisted that they reorder the parts from Fremont, painted in the same shop as the car to ensure a perfect paint match. They obliged and after about a month wait I got my car in perfect condition.

View attachment 730113
That‘s frustrating. They are ordering the parts pre painted as well for mine. Maybe you’ll have fewer issues on delivery coming in a little later.

It's slightly infuriating that Tesla would deliver a May order before a January order to the same state with identical configs, but it's not your fault. Congrats and enjoy your car!
Agree. Did you convert from Plaid+? Perhaps you held out on conversion as did I awaiting clarity on grandfathering the pre-price-raise pricing.

Even more frustrating is that 5 days prior to delivery, it was on the lot. I took pictures and went to the service center. I didn’t want to deal with it after delivery. I spoke with the service manager. He didn’t even want to hear about any issues. He stated the car was just off the transport. He said his prep guys were the best and they would catch “everything”. They caught nothing.View attachment 730115View attachment 730116View attachment 730117
That’s really horrid

Even more frustrating is that 5 days prior to delivery, it was on the lot. I took pictures and went to the service center. I didn’t want to deal with it after delivery. I spoke with the service manager. He didn’t even want to hear about any issues. He stated the car was just off the transport. He said his prep guys were the best and they would catch “everything”. They caught nothing.View attachment 730115View attachment 730116View attachment 730117

Oh my... This looks bad. I'd just reject the car. Who knows what they screwed up on the inside.

Oh my... This looks bad. I'd just reject the car. Who knows what they screwed up on the inside.
I‘m hopeful there is nothing mechanical, but you never know. I’m worried we are in the production phase that Elon discussed in his interview with Joe Rogan where he said you either want one of the first cars that are basically hand built or after they reach full production and have all the kinks worked out.

I‘m hopeful there is nothing mechanical, but you never know. I’m worried we are in the production phase that Elon discussed in his interview with Joe Rogan where he said you either want one of the first cars that are basically hand built or after they reach full production and have all the kinks worked out.

They've been producing them for 6 months. This is just absolute garbage work by the factory imo

Problem is, no one looked. They seriously need another level of QC this is some absolute garbage. If my model s showed up like this I'd reject and probably never buy another Tesla. Unreal.

As lenient and forgiving as I am - I agree with you. Really is piss poor. My SC delivery went over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for anything. They even had a terry cloth with them to get fingerprints off and shine it up where we were touching during delivery. They took this serious.

As lenient and forgiving as I am - I agree with you. Really is piss poor. My SC delivery went over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for anything. They even had a terry cloth with them to get fingerprints off and shine it up where we were touching during delivery. They took this serious.
I thought about it. The problem is in Texas you have fully paid for the car first. The transaction has to take place in California since manufacturers cannot sell directly to customers in Texas. Tesla works around the rules, but they cannot accept any payment locally. You can reject it, but then you need to unwind a $140,000 in payment and financing. I know of someone who did it on a Model Y with paint scratches, but I’ve heard horror stories about it as well.