Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm worried about them pulling ferris bueller. Even with the speed limiter locked, they could still keep it in plaid and 50mph is still fast enough to get into trouble. There should just be an option to lock it in chill mode. I'm not worried about it getting stolen or them having access to the glove box or frunk. Is there a setting they need to access that valet mode would lock them out of for a tire change?

I know they're going to say they need to test drive it after the tire change. Funny how the only cars that need a test drive are the fast ones. My slow cars were never tested.
I'm pretty sure that speed limit mode also locks it in Chill mode.

Sweet, that solves my problem.
I don't believe it does actually tbh. I'm not sure. If I were you, I would activate Valet Mode. That one for sure will slow acceleration. :)
Valet will limit it only to 70mph, however it will limit the acceleration and power. Not sure if it is specifically "chill", as the manual does not outline that. It does lock the frunk and glovebox, but the trunk is not locked. Home and work locations are not available. Voice commands, autopilot and driver profiles are disabled.

Honestly, if you are worried about it and they never road tested previous cars when you took those vehicles - take it else where. If they also need to "road test" tires, I would be concerned they do not know how to put on tires.

Have a 2020 Aviator black label and your description matches. I think 5 recalls and back to the dealer at least 6 times in 2 years. Ford sent us a "sorry" card with a $250 gift card....

lol, wtf? I mean Ford's aren't usually THAT bad. Why are the Lincoln's so especially bad? I don't get it.

On a Tesla note - I wonder CR compiles this data. Is it mechanical *sugar* only or do they have some data on number of service visits for random *sugar* like my speaking getting blown out. My Model 3 was never in the shop for an electrical/mechanical issue. It was only ever in the shop because of a paint problem and they agreed to repaint part of it.

I'm worried about them pulling ferris bueller. Even with the speed limiter locked, they could still keep it in plaid and 50mph is still fast enough to get into trouble. There should just be an option to lock it in chill mode. I'm not worried about it getting stolen or them having access to the glove box or frunk. Is there a setting they need to access that valet mode would lock them out of for a tire change?

I know they're going to say they need to test drive it after the tire change. Funny how the only cars that need a test drive are the fast ones. My slow cars were never tested.
Speed limit mode enforces Chill on the MY I have. So they won't be able to put it in Plaid mode.

Two posts left. One more sleep left. (hopefully)

Last edited:
For those of you wanting to put non OEM size tires - see this - 19" OEM front diameter is 28.1” and 21" OEM front diameter is 28.3"… my 20" aftermarket tire diameter is 28.5”… I have barely 4mm left before the tire fouls with the upper control arm!

What's your aftermarket tire?

I am looking at the 20" square setup from TSportline and they are putting 285 / 35 / 20 and Tire Rack says diameter is 27.9 for the Michelin PSAS4.

I’m running this exact setup for the last 5000 miles.

Running same 285/35r21 square PSAS4. No rubbing or issues. I think having the wider front has hit range slightly.

2FD56B58-B41B-45CC-9C08-4CF9D50B820A.gif

Still getting the 1.49% 65 month rate with DCU. The process is a bit clunky and they're busy, but hard to beat that rate. PM me if you need a referral
It’s $15 to join if you don’t have a referral. $10 goes to a charity and rest to your account to maintain the min.

Opened a Savings and Checking the other week.

@cwanja Yes, my "bastard" Plaid is being used as a "test bed" in attempts to determine root cause for this dreaded, and seemingly wide-spread, "vibration at speed" issue. I offered this, "for science," and to help the community. Also, because it really annoys me, like a unspecific rattle would; and because I really don't enjoy driving it in this state (I drive the MYP instead). So, in return, they agreed to give me a S 75D (same color in and out as my bastard) and opened a case for buy-back review/approval (as a "one off customer accommodation" act). I was also granted permission to place a "cover all bases" order for a replacement, which I did on Friday. Strangely, a VIN was assigned yesterday (>72 hours after order placement) with EDD later this week.... We (service manager and I) unmatched the VIN from my order last night, for two reasons; first, buy-back process has yet to render "nay" or "ya," and second, I want a "fresh" VIN - later then the MF454 assigned and later unmatched (i.e., >NF460) to reduce (but not eliminate) the chances of getting another "vibrator" (No, @Bill Price, that's not a call to order cry 🤣).

Acts performed on my "bastard" that have not resolved the vibration include:

1) New half shafts
2) Rebalance tires and ensure rims are true
3) Adaptive air suspension 4-wheel alignment
4) Check and retorque all suspension components
5) HV pack check

I believe the next "trial and error" act will be front DU replacement. Will learn work/test plan next steps sometime today. Car has been at SC since Monday morning, 11/22. I figure #1 will be determined by week's end, perhaps the buy-back decision as well.

Some might find this frustrating, which it is, but being retired, and a problem-solver/engineer by education, I enjoy managing the potential outcome options, those being;

1) I get my Plaid back fixed and totally gone over from "stem to stern"
2) Buy-back; cash/check payout (Don't buy another Plaid for a while)
3) Buy-back; trade the bastard for a new NF460+ version

Of course, I will keep all paths "alive" for as long as possible, and will not decide which path to "lock in on," until I must. Should buy-back be approved, I will still hold off on a decision until I inspect the product resulting from option #3. Absolute worst case is my car, and Option #3, both result in cars that vibrate. In that case, if buy-back is a "yay," then I will decide either to just keep the better of the two cars, or take the money and run for six months. Even if I take mine back (no SC damage, etc.), it will be well tuned and tight (more so than the new one, even) and will wait, like the rest of the fleet, for a concrete Tesla fix. Might even be as simple as firmware for the HV-DU controller. Who knows!

So there you have it!

I know, tl;dr...

@WilliamG
If there is sufficient interest, I can provide an update tomorrow on this. “React” in some way if interested, or think an update would be helpful.

Good night, all!

0F34EDCF-960F-4C8E-810A-8535E2190897.gif

I haven't been following this thread for a few weeks, but thought I should finally put up the final post in my saga.

So why the @Tigers quote? 'Cause my story is quite similar.

I'm going to leave out a lot of stuff to shorten it, so keeping that in mind....

We'll enter the story at mid way through. Tesla had moved my EDD all the way from Jan-Feb 2022 to Sep 27-30. I had placed the order when I did, as I wanted the Jan-Feb timeline for delivery. I wasn't ready to accept delivery that early.

Since I couldn't get anyone on the phone, I drove 135 miles to the nearest Tesla location. Talked to an SA, explaining that I didn't want to take delivery yet. He said, "No problem. Just tell me what the earliest date is that you could accept delivery, and I'll put it in the "Do Not Match Before This Date" field. I told him no earlier than Dec 15.

Fast forward to November 15. I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I was shocked by the voicemail... it was Tesla! Calling me?!?!? Telephone tag turned into text messages. The long and the short of it: We have your car, you must take delivery of it or we will cancel your order. No option to postpone it.

We've all read about guys being able to push their orders further into the future, but I wasn't given that option.

But before we take this to mean that they've changed their policy about such things, one thing to remember... my car had walnut interior trim. For those that don't know, that is no longer an option. Here's what I think happened.... they continued to honor orders for walnut interior trim up to a certain production date. After that date, they would no longer produce any cars with walnut trim. So they made my car on that last date, and offered it to me, even though it was exactly one month before the "Do Not Match Before Date" field. No option to push the order off as they would no longer make walnut interiors.

I did ask why I wasn't given the option to push the order date, but Tesla went radio silent at that point. So the above is not fact, but my opinion on what happened.

So my order has been cancelled. I'll still be ordering a Plaid at some point, but for now I'll be watching from the fence. And I won't make the mistake of ordering before I have all the logistics lined up on my end.

Ah well... I must admit, I do still enjoy my turtle car. :D

You gave up a unicorn with walnut?

I'm about to place an order for plaid for close to $150K. Seems the quality contorl issues have gone up. You can get fully loaded EQS for that price. Bit hard to digest for $150K car, we have to go through these issues. Any thoughts Gentlemen? I have MSLR on order for June delivery, I had Model S 60-D for three years when it came out. The build quality of that car is not bad other than rubbers seals around the doors, windshield and top.

I have a April EDD. I hoping that things improve by then for both of us.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My ETA for the MS is Jan 15-Feb 12th now. I might cancel if Witcher 3 isn’t available by then.

Tesla of Orlando really needs to work on the customer lounge. It did not pass my inspection. Really sad! Not at all like the Porsche dealership.
View attachment 739573View attachment 739574

K cups are not in line with paving the way to a sustainable future, apparently...

Yes. Indeed.

Absolutely do not use.

Wife’s X was 4 years old when we sold it in October. White seats still looked pristine. As I have mentioned previously, she had spilled yellow Indian spice all over passenger seat. Stuff stains like nothing else. Little bit of baking soda and wipes. All gone.

Bottom line. Don’t sweat the white. Minimal care and it will hold up. Years ago, Elon said it was the best interior to get.

Eventually, all white seats will be cream colored. Why wait? Get it now, before they go the way of the wood trim on the Plaid...