Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
West Palm wants to deliver our MSLR at the house tomorrow which is a change from all previous cars (Dyer then Okeechobee). Judging by the number of cars in the off site drop off lot, they have a ton of work to do and may simply be running out of bandwidth at the service center.

They continue try to insist they be paid before the car is delivered. It is almost like they feel entitled to tell their customers when and how they will pay for the car. I'm sure I am being overly sensitive but I've seen the business side of the house's behavior deteriorate over the past eight years. It is hard not to cop an attitude with them but I am really trying not to let who they are affect who I am.

West Palm wants to deliver our MSLR at the house tomorrow which is a change from all previous cars (Dyer then Okeechobee). Judging by the number of cars in the off site drop off lot, they have a ton of work to do and may simply be running out of bandwidth at the service center.

They continue try to insist they be paid before the car is delivered. It is almost like they feel entitled to tell their customers when and how they will pay for the car. I'm sure I am being overly sensitive but I've seen the business side of the house's behavior deteriorate over the past eight years. It is hard not to cop an attitude with them but I am really trying not to let who they are affect who I am.
No chance I would take home delivery. Same sentiments as you on this situation, don’t want to pay before seeing the car. I also don’t want their service team driving it 35 miles before I can have any issues noted.

And that band would make it into the Guinness Book of World Records for being the largest band with the most members! Hail to the Plaid Bastard’s!

View attachment 740762
As the only band that plays at most major cities at the same time? How in the world do you schedule their tour and still remain sane? Wait a minute.......I think I just answered that?

No chance I would take home delivery. Same sentiments as you on this situation, don’t want to pay before seeing the car. I also don’t want their service team driving it 35 miles before I can have any issues noted.
I had my model S delivered in 2017. Came on a truck. Paid in full in advance. No big deal. Noticed an issue with a crease on the seat. They came out with a new seat within a week. Easy. But I don’t know how you would get the car (if they drive or bring it on a truck but they need to get back somehow.)

I do not mind home delivery nor do I mind if someone drives the car to our house. I'm just pushing back at being told repeatedly that I need to pay for something before it shows up (and I get a chance to inspect it) by a company that is knowingly delivering at least a few cars with dubious quality.

I agree with those that post that forums are places where people air their grievances and most that get a good car do go out of their way to post about it. This reflects my wife and my experiences with the cars we have received. The fact is that Tesla does attempt to deliver trash from time to time which flies in the face of asking someone to pay sight unseen.

I really miss resting my hand on the top of the wheel and lil unconfortable taking U turn. I know many like the yoke...but I wish tesla allow yoke replacement in future..
If you follow the link in that original post, it brought you to this:

Took delivery this morning and headed strait away to the coast for a round. Didn’t mess with pics till I got home and just exterior. I’ll hrab some interior tomorrow but it was perfect. No “pleats on the seats”. Came with all mats, trunk stuff, phobs, and nothing out of place. Spent about 40 minutes in Eatonville and 30 was waiting for them to fix a raised panel on the right side bonnet. (Stopper was adjusted to max and fender was still raised a 1/8”. They fixed it.

I didn’t crawl underneath to look for scrapes on the bumper. Treated it like Schrödinger’s cat. So as far as I know, it’s clean.

Car took about 10 miles on a stop and go packed I-4 to calibrate. Simply put, worth the wait. Almost cliche to say at this point but dayum is it smooth. Powerful. Quiet. Smooth.

Used @Btrflyl8e ’s fishing line on the license plate bracket before I left the SC. Charm it was. 3 minutes and I had a nice front end. Sorry about the pics, they were actually an after thought.
Love this! But, it reminded me I needed to recreate a photo I've done with my two previous Teslas. I will redo this one after the window tint is done Tuesday, but here is almost 9 years of Tesla ownership:
Screenshot_20211205-142405_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1638732281228.jpg

20211205_140951.jpg

Attachments

• 20211205_141357.jpg
    20211205_141357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20211205_140951.jpg
    20211205_140951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
I’m afraid this quad motor change is also going to be the “we decided no one needs 500 miles” change. Which is so wrong on this truck. It needs 500 miles desperately to be able to tow.
There isn't a button that shows how much I love this post, so take what ya get. ;)

But ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

Just ask Rivian how much towing affects range. For those that haven't been following Rivian's tribulations, there are early reports of towing greatly impacting the Rivian truck's range.

If Tesla wants this truck to do well, it absolutely must have enough battery capacity to provide acceptable towing range.

Hopefully, rather than Tesla saying "we decided no one needs 500 miles of range," they're finding out that the 4680 cell is going to be able to still give them the required range even with the fourth motor.

Another consideration... the amount of energy needed to move x amount of mass at a velocity of y is a set value; it doesn't change based on how many motors you have attached to the drive train. Is it possible that they could add the fourth motor without effecting the efficiency, hence the range? If they can run four motors and still efficiently provide the energy needed to move x amount of mass at y velocity, you're set. Maybe it turns out that having the fourth motor improves efficiency by putting less load on each of them? I don't know enough (actually, zero) about electric motors and the most efficient setup to have a valid opinion.

I'm just spitballing, as it would truly suck if it turns out that Tesla just decided that kind of range wasn't needed.

Maybe this will be a case of it being a good thing that Rivian was first to market, and Tesla can learn from their mistake(s).

Look around a bit, and you'll find a few articles about how bad the Rivian truck's range suffers from towing; even modest loads have a considerable range hit.

It would be great if Elon would clarify the truck's stats with the fourth motor added to it, starting with the total battery pack capacity.

There isn't a button that shows how much I love this post, so take what ya get. ;)

But ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

Just ask Rivian how much towing affects range. For those that haven't been following Rivian's tribulations, there are early reports of towing greatly impacting the Rivian truck's range.

If Tesla wants this truck to do well, it absolutely must have enough battery capacity to provide acceptable towing range.

Hopefully, rather than Tesla saying "we decided no one needs 500 miles of range," they're finding out that the 4680 cell is going to be able to still give them the required range even with the fourth motor.

Another consideration... the amount of energy needed to move x amount of mass at a velocity of y doesn't change based on how many motors you have attached to the drive train. Is it possible that they could add the fourth motor without effecting the efficiency, hence the range? If they can run four motors and still efficiently provide the energy needed to move x amount of mass at y velocity, you're set. Maybe it turns out that having the fourth motor improves efficiency by putting less load on each of them? I don't know enough (actually, zero) about electric motors and the most efficient setup to have a valid opinion.

I'm just spitballing, as it would truly suck if it turns out that Tesla just decided that kind of range wasn't needed.

Maybe this will be a case of it being a good thing that Rivian was first to market, and Tesla can learn from their mistake(s).

Look around a bit, and you'll find a few articles about how bad the Rivian truck's range suffers from towing; even modest loads have a considerable range hit.

It would be great if Elon would clarify the truck's stats with the fourth motor added to it, starting with the total battery pack capacity.
I have a strong feeling they will unveil everything at the Q4 2021 earnings call, as Elon already said they will announce pricing then.
For pack size it should be ~200kWh. I'm thinking they will still do 500+ miles, as that "we don't need over 400" bs was just a cover for the unintentional Osbourne effect Tesla created with the Plaid+. I don't agree with that for one minute lol, and I don't think Tesla does either lol. The weight savings from the structural pack alone would probably help with that range. The 4th motor likely shouldn't impair range too much if at all. :)
And I totally agree with you regarding range! ☝️

Last edited:
However, in my case after coming to pick up my Plaid the SM said there was a camera bracket that needed to be replaced. The car was absolutely perfect other than that. He requested to let them get the part and replace it, then drive it to my home for delivery. I said sure. Happy camper here!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yeah probably lol! Totally agreed for a road trip. I'm not sure how the comfort side may be, but I think this may be another misconception about range. A lot of people believe that oh we don't need over 400 miles as people need to stop after that period of time on a road trip. Screw that lol! I think about range from a daily usability standpoint. Think about the endurance on tracks like the Nurburgring! Or what if I really love my car, and I just want to go drive it around for the whole day, run errands, floor it at every light, and not have to worry about energy consumption? Or if I'm on the Autobahn, and I wanna cruise at 180 mph for a long distance. Pretty much for any car IMO, a really high range makes sense, as there are so many use cases for it. Offroad where there are no chargers, on track, or even just as daily drivers driving around with the extra peace of mind, it's always going to be useful.😃
Digging up this old post as I just read it for the first time, but RIGHT ON, MAN!!! :D

The problem is that the RATED range of, say, 400 is so very condition specific; you need to be at an exact speed, on a perfectly level surface, at a given outside air temperature to achieve the "rated" range. Once you change any of those variables the actual range changes greatly.

Add 15 mph? Huge range hit.

Freezing temperatures? Range hit

Hilly terrain? Range hit.

Stop and go traffic? Range hit.

Headwind? A lot bigger range hit than what you'd think.

And the problem is that these range hits are NOT trivial. They can be HUGE. It isn't unusual for me to get less than half of the "rated" range in the wintertime driving at 80 mph (we have a lot of interstate here that is zoned at 80 mph).

So having a 400 mile "rated" range is extremely important, because NO ONE drives under the exact conditions needed to get that range figure.

Unfortunately, most people that buy Teslas are shocked the first time that they drive the car and don't get the "rated" range. "What's wrong with my new Tesla? I'm only getting xxx miles of range?" How many of these types of posts are here on TMC? Hundreds.

People just don't understand that there is so much more involved. And since people just don't take the time to learn about this stuff, they blame Tesla when their car doesn't achieve its rated range. IMO, the way the guvmint rates EV range needs to be completely overhauled. Rather than a one size fits all "rated range," they need to list multiple ranges for various driving conditions.

Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard for Tesla to update the nav system to give better range estimates on a per-drive basis, either.

Digging up this old post as I just read it for the first time, but RIGHT ON, MAN!!! :D

The problem is that the RATED range of, say, 400 is so very condition specific; you need to be at an exact speed, on a perfectly level surface, at a given outside air temperature to achieve the "rated" range. Once you change any of those variables the actual range changes greatly.

Add 15 mph? Huge range hit.

Freezing temperatures? Range hit

Hilly terrain? Range hit.

Stop and go traffic? Range hit.

Headwind? A lot bigger range hit than what you'd think.

And the problem is that these range hits are NOT trivial. They can be HUGE. It isn't unusual for me to get less than half of the "rated" range in the wintertime driving at 80 mph (we have a lot of interstate here that is zoned at 80 mph).

So having a 400 mile "rated" range is extremely important, because NO ONE drives under the exact conditions needed to get that range figure.

Unfortunately, most people that buy Teslas are shocked the first time that they drive the car and don't get the "rated" range. "What's wrong with my new Tesla? I'm only getting xxx miles of range?" How many of these types of posts are here on TMC? Hundreds.

People just don't understand that there is so much more involved. And since people just don't take the time to learn about this stuff, they blame Tesla when their car doesn't achieve its rated range. IMO, the way the guvmint rates EV range needs to be completely overhauled. Rather than a one size fits all "rated range," they need to list multiple ranges for various driving conditions.

Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard for Tesla to update the nav system to give better range estimates on a per-drive basis, either.
Exactly. I look at it as a daily driving thing. I hardly ever take road trips. I really don't care too much about that. I care about EV range in spirited driving conditions, and on an all-day basis. Oh TOTALLY agreed on the government standard. They need to overhaul it, and have a new standard. Not 2 different ways of testing; in which either one can be picked by a car maker and doesn't have to be disclosed. One way.
Tesla's ranges would suffer as a result, but they could easily get them back up again. So yeah I hope that happens at that point, and I look forward to the first 500+ mile Teslas!