Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aha, I thought matrix lights were already legal since November of this year.
They are going to be, but see the last paragraph of this article:

"As for the meat and potatoes of the newly updated regulations, the bill turns to the secretary of transportation to officially make adaptive headlights a thing within two years. So, at the latest, we could see this fancy tech on numerous new cars by 2024, but perhaps even sooner than that."

Wonder how come Model Y performance have it though in US than.. Since as you go to the order page you can see the lights changing from Model Y to Model Y performance on the order page.
Well that's the thing. Matrix and laser lights are legal in the US, but just not all of the things they can do. So the hardware can absolutely be equipped, and then activated when it officially is legal. That's what's happening with the Y, and what I hope to happen to the MS soon as well.

Yeah, I hope the Current Plaid S owner who took delivery does not get left out on this. As this will be nice for FSD driving at night for the system probably it will help, and even when a Driver is driving in dark. Dont get me wrong Model S lights are already amazing but I just hope we do have this as retrofit option I will happily pay for even better headlights specially for safety :)

Yeah, I hope the Current Plaid S owner who took delivery does not get left out on this. As this will be nice for FSD driving at night for the system probably it will help, and even when a Driver is driving in dark. Dont get me wrong Model S lights are already amazing but I just hope we do have this as retrofit option I will happily pay for even better headlights specially for safety :)
I could see a retrofit happening if they don't do anything major, which they likely won't. Any resizing of the lights or physical differences with regards to how it fits would require a new fascia, and thus another crash test, plus additional retooling of the factory. For the new lights, I'm hoping we could see a new DRl signature, which wouldn't change the physical size, but would change how the main light beams look when on. I think that would be awesome. Would be totally retrofittable though as I said. :)

Any confirmation of a Fremont shut down / retooling over the holiday break? Would enhance probability of taillight refresh methinks. @2021plaid ?
No confirmation unfortunately. Sawyer hasn't said anything about it either, so we'll just have to wait I think for the next footage we get from Fremont.

For those considering PPF, posted my experience and photos of the front of the wife’s model Y after 12 months and over 16k miles of no PPF. YMMV

12 month 16k mile update on no ppf front bumper
Looks decent as far as one can determine from photos. And “White” is always the most forgiving of colors. Of course you don’t hit Plaid speed in a Y. At least not yet!🙃

For those considering PPF, posted my experience and photos of the front of the wife’s model Y after 12 months and over 16k miles of no PPF. YMMV

12 month 16k mile update on no ppf front bumper
I fully ppf'ed my Model 3 back in 2018 and it still looks brand new. I have a significant scuff of the film on the hood and on the nose that would undoubtedly have brought the paint off without PPF. Also, my coworker opened his door into my door last Christmas and it looked so bad that I thought there had to be paint damage underneath, but there wasn't. Paid $150 to get that door re-wrapped and it's as good as new.