Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back at the end of August, I was in the same situation. they gave them to me. I didn’t even have to ask, though I was prepared to ask. They offered them to me free of charge. Good luck to you!
Thanks. This is good to know.
Next question to the forum

Anyone in the market for a set of near new (less than 100 miles) Pirelli High Performance Summer tires? Available next week for pickup in Richmond Va for a GREAT price!

It’s the exact same film. Twice.

If it’s Reaction, it will have the ceramic ingrained. If it’s not, it won’t unless you add that separately like I did for wife’s MYP. That got Xpel Ultimate + ceramic.

Wash it like the rest of the car. I prefer to do that myself.
Can you actually remove the top/second layer of PPF without the bottom layer coming off/getting damaged? Or do you remove both layers and replace both layers?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
OH damn that looks good. Really hoping for Matrix headlights to be retrofit-able.... Please tesla don't screw us.
There is already a data cable running to the headlights and from what we've seen it looks to be the same sheet metal (although unlikely it could be slightly off), so technically it's feasible that they could be retrofit, and there is a precedent of Tesla offering upgrades (such as MCU2, which is completely unprecedented in other car manufacturers), but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Even with the MCU2, it took somewhere around 6 months to convince them to offer it, but the MCU is core to the user experience - updated headlights are just a nice to have.

What I *would* expect is Hansshow, EVoffer, or another aftermarket vendor to offer a retrofit kit, with whatever harness adapters necessary. I also expect them to offer a retrofit for the cabin lighting which is already wired but doesn't have a driver connected.... or maybe I should stop talking and do it myself, hahaha.

I am expecting delivery Monday for my MS long range. I contacted Tesla to see if I could hold off on accepting delivery and they said because I ordered so long ago (July 30th), that it may end up canceling my entire order and thereby start a new order- which could risk losing $10k…. Since a new order would lock me in to the new price. I assumed Tesla would have a definitive answer on this. Anyone else encounter a similar issue?
They said the same thing both times in my case… and the price did not change. YMMV, but I would think that is just their standard response.

I would reject it and get this updated model. If only for the depreciation savings

You can always wrap that body colored trim piece black and the rear end wouldn’t look much different.
From what Ive seen...
Because Tesla tends to make SO many various changes within a given model year? The bolded part doenst really hold true. Ex: My wifes 2021 Y was early 2021 without the heated steering wheel. When I was checking the used market/getting quotes for it (was thinking about selling and getting the Performance Y due to crazy used market) not a single person or company even asked about the heated wheel, for example. Only cared about year/miles/condition/which model/which wheels/FSD or no.

From what Ive seen...
Because Tesla tends to make SO many various changes within a given model year? The bolded part doenst really hold true. Ex: My wifes 2021 Y was early 2021 without the heated steering wheel. When I was checking the used market/getting quotes for it (was thinking about selling and getting the Performance Y due to crazy used market) not a single person or company even asked about the heated wheel, for example. Only cared about year/miles/condition/which model/which wheels/FSD or no.
Agreed.. 99% of people will not know there is a difference in lights (or care).

Can you actually remove the top/second layer of PPF without the bottom layer coming off/getting damaged? Or do you remove both layers and replace both layers?
Yes. No.

I installed my Car Pool sticker same way. Comes right off and without damaging bottom if you peel starting at furthest points from edges of first layer.

I am expecting delivery Monday for my MS long range. I contacted Tesla to see if I could hold off on accepting delivery and they said because I ordered so long ago (July 30th), that it may end up canceling my entire order and thereby start a new order- which could risk losing $10k…. Since a new order would lock me in to the new price. I assumed Tesla would have a definitive answer on this. Anyone else encounter a similar issue?

Check your order agreement. Over time they reduced the number of days from their initial attempt to notify you to accept delivery or face cancellation. My order from later last year says 30 days, yours may be 60 or 90. That means you can refuse delivery at this time and have up to that number of days to accept, and the delivery location will most likely sell off your car to someone else and re-match you in a couple weeks. Like anything else, good to point out to your SA and get confirmation this is how they'll handle it.
My order agreement from July 31 says "For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notfy you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

My order agreement from July 31 says "For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notfy you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."
Look later in the agreement, there is probably another clause that says you have 90 days from your order date to take delivery, unless the delay is Tesla's fault.

Look later in the agreement, there is probably another clause that says you have 90 days from your order date to take delivery, unless the delay is Tesla's fault.
Oh, true.

"If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee. Alternatively, Tesla may give you the option to reconfigure your Vehicle at the current pricing."

However... anyone that's ordered an MLSR is way beyond a 90 day window after placing the order. Wouldn't the first clause apply, then?

However... anyone that's ordered an MLSR is way beyond a 90 day window after placing the order. Wouldn't the first clause apply, then?

No, that would mean the second clause applies the second Tesla offers you a vehicle. So if you reject it they could cancel your order. (At that point you are past the 90-days and it is no longer a fault of Tesla's.) The agreement also states that updates/features made/added to the vehicle after you order may not be included in the vehicle you get. (So you can't use the lack of new lights as a reason to deny a vehicle.)

I guess the real question is, has anyone had their order cancelled (on a refresh MS) for unmatching a VIN. I know many have done it (including myself 2x) without issue.
They've given everyone the option of one free rejection - although when the next one comes it's up to the mercy of the delivery center you use what happens then. I think they're relatively fair in response (and lord knows Tesla doesn't have any issues with finding someone else to buy your rejected VIN)

I guess the real question is, has anyone had their order cancelled (on a refresh MS) for unmatching a VIN. I know many have done it (including myself 2x) without issue.
I think you can do it 2x, but third gets you a cancellation. Also, putting RN on hold only lasts 30 days before cancellation - warnings are sent 1-2 weeks ahead of the 30 day expiration.

I've been working on cars and motorcycles since my first car at age 18. I love technical challenges, customization, results ... and any excuse to buy a new tool or learn something new. DIY all the way baby!
Working on vehicles started even younger than 18. It started with my first "banana seat" bicycle probably age 5 or so. I didn't even think of asking Dad for a new chain when it broke. I created a new master link with wire!

Working on vehicles started even younger than 18. It started with my first "banana seat" bicycle probably age 5 or so. I didn't even think of asking Dad for a new chain when it broke. I created a new master link with wire!

Awesome... banana seat, you must fit the original definition of a zoomer, which I consider authorative.

One characteristic of an EV is there is not much to do. However, Wifey "Fixed" that for me by getting a MB 560....took all day to do an annual service.

OH damn that looks good. Really hoping for Matrix headlights to be retrofit-able.... Please tesla don't screw us.
I was talking with a very long term Tesla service tech yesterday and asked him about the pre-matrix lights on the 3 and Y. He said that they always had the same amount of wires including a control wire. This gives me hope that we can retrofit ours.

Tesla does not try to make cars for the snobs. The inside of the model S has always been understated compared to other high end sedans. At one point there was A $100K difference between the S60 and the highest rated performance trim. They looked exactly the same. Today there's a 50K difference between the S and the PLAID and they do look essentially the same. That said the tail lights on the 3 have an interrupted red ring around whereas the new S has a continuous red ring. However, I have always felt by intent Tesla meant for the 3 (at least on the tail end) to be immediately recognizable as the baby sister of the S. So all this talk about the S now looking like the 3 with the new tail design may be misplaced but the design itself being deliberate.