Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well *sugar*. I really wanted the new lights and the radar.

I wonder if it can be retrofit.
Since Tesla is focused on vision only and is not able to get radar+vision to work correctly together. I don’t see long term having radar in the car is going to do, and it is likely in the software update in near future that even radar equipped car won’t be utilizing it anyway.

Since Tesla is focused on vision only and is not able to get radar+vision to work correctly together. I don’t see long term having radar in the car is going to do, and it is likely in the software update in near future that even radar equipped car won’t be utilizing it anyway.

Tesla disabling it definitely is a concern. It offers some useful features that cameras can't (like seeing two cars ahead).
I wish Elon would stop cost-cutting useful features. Instead of adding corner radars they removed the one radar they did have. But only for North America. Stupid.

Well *sugar*. I really wanted the new lights and the radar.

I wonder if it can be retrofit.
I can't for the life me understand why people are so stuck on radar? All the Beta cars are driving without it and it's fine. Phantom braking exists with or without, so I'm confused as to why the fuss?

The fact is radar is going away for whoever drives a Tesla. So why delay the inevitable when there's no benefit to having it anyway?

Tesla disabling it definitely is a concern. It offers some useful features that cameras can't (like seeing two cars ahead).
I wish Elon would stop cost-cutting useful features. Instead of adding corner radars they removed the one radar they did have. But only for North America. Stupid.
The car still sees multiple cars ahead, it's not correct to believe otherwise. You can see them clearly in the display. I've looked many times to see if I can see vehicles the car cannot and so far I haven't found any. It can happen and perhaps I miss it, I'm aware this is possible. But it definitely sees the vehicles ahead when in line.

I can't for the life me understand why people are so stuck on radar? All the Beta cars are driving without it and it's fine. Phantom braking exists with or without, so I'm confused as to why the fuss?

The fact is radar is going away for whoever drives a Tesla. So why delay the inevitable when there's no benefit to having it anyway?
Because the radar cars have less phantom braking than the non-radar cars. That's not hard to understand.
Maybe they should make the vision-only cars work at least as well as radar before removing radar.

The car still sees multiple cars ahead, it's not correct to believe otherwise. You can see them clearly in the display. I've looked many times to see if I can see vehicles the car cannot and so far I haven't found any. It can happen and perhaps I miss it, I'm aware this is possible. But it definitely sees the vehicles ahead when in line.
How can the camera possibly see past an opaque object in front of it?
Radar can bounce the signal underneath and see two cars ahead. It can see if there is an emergency stop happening and react to it before the car in front of you does. This was a selling point previously.

When I get my car, I'll check if the harness is still there. If so I'll look into retrofitting the radar and gaining those benefits (less phantom braking, 90mph AP speed, better emergency braking capabilities).

Because the radar cars have less phantom braking than the non-radar cars. That's not hard to understand.
Maybe they should make the vision-only cars work at least as well as radar before removing radar.

Radar can bounce the signal underneath and see two cars ahead. It can see if there is an emergency stop happening and react to it before the car in front of you does. This was a selling point previously.

When I get my car, I'll check if the harness is still there. If so I'll look into retrofitting the radar and gaining those benefits (less phantom braking, 90mph AP speed, better emergency braking capabilities).
I don't think retrofitting would gain much if Tesla disable all radar sensors with new firmwares... Cameras should be able to see/recognize cars/objects in front of the car ahead if it can see through the glass/window or if it's bigger than the car in front, just like human can (or can't).

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My recollection is that Tesla has always used ultrasonic sensors to assess proximity of certain objects. So if in fact model 3 and y can still see multiple cars maybe they’re using this technology. The same way one uses marine sonar so to speak
The ultrasonic sensors can only see a few feet. Definitely not two cars ahead.

I don't think retrofitting would gain much if Tesla disable all radar sensors with new firmwares... Cameras should be able to see/recognize cars/objects in front of the car ahead if it can see through the glass/window or if it's bigger than the car in front, just like human can (or can't).
Yes that is a concern. I'm not sure they would disable it, but it's definitely possible.
I could retrofit and then just refuse to update. My car is still on V10 since V11 brings nothing worthwhile and just downgrades the UI.
There hasn't been an absolute must-have feature introduced in the past couple years.

Perhaps there are instances where radar cars have less phantom braking, but it is far from empirically establish to be factual that a majority do. I, for one, for reasons stated previously, prefer the vision approach and have extensive use with both methods.

If you really believe there is no way to see, with vision, in front of the car in front of you, then I'm not sure what to say. Using my own two eyes I can see vehicles in front of the vehicle I'm behind very easily, I'm not sure why a camera couldn't. Furthermore, I suppose the display in the car could be lying but I'm not sure I understand what the benefit of that would be.

Less phantom braking is unproven, better emergency braking is unproven, but I 100% agree that I'd like to have the higher AP speed limit back. That is the only downside to Vision that I have experienced (but it's likely saved me money in tickets). For the record, that is with about 10,000 miles that I've been in Beta and using Vision only. Plus I have a Y with Vision that works perfectly fine with almost zero phantom braking.

Not only does the vision see the vehicles in front of your car, it also knows if the brakes are on. The camera sees the brake lights and begins slowing WAY before a radar system does. This I would bet a very large sum on because I use it every single day for 100 miles per day through downtown LA traffic. I get a LOT of time to see how the car reacts.

Perhaps there are instances where radar cars have less phantom braking, but it is far from empirically establish to be factual that a majority do. I, for one, for reasons stated previously, prefer the vision approach and have extensive use with both methods.

If you really believe there is no way to see, with vision, in front of the car in front of you, then I'm not sure what to say. Using my own two eyes I can see vehicles in front of the vehicle I'm behind very easily, I'm not sure why a camera couldn't. Furthermore, I suppose the display in the car could be lying but I'm not sure I understand what the benefit of that would be.

Less phantom braking is unproven, better emergency braking is unproven, but I 100% agree that I'd like to have the higher AP speed limit back. That is the only downside to Vision that I have experienced (but it's likely saved me money in tickets). For the record, that is with about 10,000 miles that I've been in Beta and using Vision only. Plus I have a Y with Vision that works perfectly fine with almost zero phantom braking.

So you've never driven behind a vehicle that is higher than yours? Or a vehicle that doesn't have a rear window?

Less phantom braking is widely acknowledged by most people who have used both systems. Maybe you're just having a better than normal experience.

I wish they would have just kept the radar until HW4, where higher resolution cameras are expected.

So you've never driven behind a vehicle that is higher than yours? Or a vehicle that doesn't have a rear window?

Less phantom braking is widely acknowledged by most people who have used both systems. Maybe you're just having a better than normal experience.

I wish they would have just kept the radar until HW4, where higher resolution cameras are expected.
No, I never, ever have. And I cannot find any way to see past a high vehicle or one with no rear window. And Tesla has never, ever thought of that use case.

I don't appreciate my own resorting to sarcasm in this post. Good luck with your retrofit, I hope the car works out nicely for you in all regards.

Did it take a while after you first got the car before getting a new update? I wonder if there’s some sort of logic that keeps the car on the current version for X amount of days before enabling a software update post delivery.
There absolutely is and it is called a "factory hold". It took three weeks for me to move off my factory firmware.