Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it has. It will be worse for a bit, as they are ramping up again. Expect it to be worse until they reach scale again sometime after EOQ.
Joking, yes? I don’t see aspects that have not changed (the majority of this car) to suddenly get worse on restart of the line. Aspects regarding the new lights, sure. Paint, fit, and alignment? Possibly no better but certainly not wiser.

Joking, yes? I don’t see aspects that have not changed (the majority of this car) to suddenly get worse on restart of the line. Aspects regarding the new lights, sure. Paint, fit, and alignment? Possibly no better but certainly not wiser.
There are issues that arise during ramps of any production line, whether the change is small or large, there's still an element of acceleration that can affect tolerances vs a steady continuous pace.

Reactions: Mwolfe and mswlogo
There are issues that arise during ramps of any production line, whether the change is small or large, there's still an element of acceleration that can affect tolerances vs a steady continuous pace.
I’ve been in global manufacturing for over 3 decades (Six Sigma Blackbelt). Aspects of the S line that have not been changed will not suddenly develop new cpk values. This not a true ramp up so much as a restart with revisions to specific stations, work centers, or cells (yes, I hypothesized more than just the lights changed in Refresh 2.0). Would have a serious chat with the MEs and IEs if quality across the board was impacted after restart.

I’ve been in global manufacturing for over 3 decades (Six Sigma Blackbelt). Aspects of the S line that have not been changed will not suddenly develop new cpk values. This not a true ramp up so much as a restart with revisions to specific stations, work centers, or cells (yes, I hypothesized more than just the lights changed in Refresh 2.0). Would have a serious chat with the MEs and IEs if quality across the board was impacted after restart.
For sure, but I think there is also a rapidly shifting supply chain dynamic to account for in this time.

Reactions: uthatcher and Bull
I thought this was a spot on post and a well written post until this line. I have had my car for a little over 2 weeks and 1,200 miles. It should only be driven in insane mode.. it is docile until you give it the go. My car has been in insane mode from delivery and will be left there as long as I own it and drive it. 😎
You may be a bit younger than me. Now that I have tried it, there is obviously a noticeable difference with insane mode on, but I'll save that for showing off with friends instead of every day driving. Still a huge difference/upgrade from the acceleration from my '17 MS 75.

Hi everyone,

Went to take delivery of VIN NF474200 red plaid yesterday at Princeton, NJ. Car was perfect except for a smallish pebble rock chip on the hood - through the clearcoat (very noticeable in the sun). I did not accept and of course they will repaint the hood at a Tesla authorized shop next door. They told me it will be ready on Monday. I am worried about them matching the quality/look of factory red paint. I understand red is "special". It is a extra $2500!

What does everyone think? Thank you!

There are no plans that I know of at the moment for Shanghai to build S and X, although it may happen longer term.
I believe the answer to your question is likely that S and X at Fremont has almost reached full production. Soon exports will begin. (And as you can see they've already started in limited numbers).
I am an @EndlessPlaid fan and you are batting near 1.000 in my book...

With that being said how do you figure the S and X lines have reached near full production? I am not up on the X production as much as the S production but all I know is the S production seems to be churning really slow. I believe new nonplaid orders are going to take 9 plus months to fill on average.

Can you deduce the production output and state whether or not that is near full capacity?

Would be nice if someone did a quick analysis on this and had a chart or graph of the supposed ramp up.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Do I sense some jealousy? 😃
Nah. Not my style. At least not intentionally. Apologies to all if it came across that way. I’m just here to absorb and give back a little when I can.

Maybe the little needs to be a little less. As. well as the time spent here.

I heard there is a sun out there in the real world. True?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Went to take delivery of VIN NF474200 red plaid yesterday at Princeton, NJ. Car was perfect except for a smallish pebble rock chip on the hood - through the clearcoat (very noticeable in the sun). I did not accept and of course they will repaint the hood at a Tesla authorized shop next door. They told me it will be ready on Monday. I am worried about them matching the quality/look of factory red paint. I understand red is "special". It is a extra $2500!

What does everyone think? Thank you!
Think you’ll be fine. The handful of times I’ve had cars partially repainted have all matched existing pretty well. Im just surprised at the turnaround time. Pretty fast. The good thing about the hood is there isn’t much else surrounding it.

Think you’ll be fine. The handful of times I’ve had cars partially repainted have all matched existing pretty well. Im just surprised at the turnaround time. Pretty fast. The good thing about the hood is there isn’t much else surrounding it.
Agreed, body work and paint is an art, not a science. As long as they engage a reputable shop, they should keep you in a good place. It’s actually easier to match new paint, much harder to match after the existing paint has been in the sun or aged from elements.