Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed a new order yesterday after a test drive to replace my 3. EDD is Jan~March, and I'm hoping the car will come with the recent subtle changes; i.e. brake/exterior trims. If the car doesn't arrive with these changes, will they raise heck if I decline delivery until I receive one with the updates?

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Just placed a new order yesterday after a test drive to replace my 3. EDD is Jan~March, and I'm hoping the car will come with the recent subtle changes; i.e. brake/exterior trims. If the car doesn't arrive with these changes, will they raise heck if I decline delivery until I receive one with the updates?
You can refuse delivery for any reason and don't need to give a reason. It's your money until you trade it for something.

From my understanding, yes, though they are getting more picky about people declining deliveries.

We are in the same boat! I ordered my Model S up on the 7th of January, and traded in my Model 3 a day before the price drop was announced. I feel like I robbed the dealership... and was worried that they would not honor the price they quoted, but I picked up the check and it cleared so... wo hoo!! I got lucky, course... now we are down to 1 vehicle which sucks.

My delivery range is 29 January to 5 March, what is yours?

Reactions: suyoungman
From my understanding, yes, though they are getting more picky about people declining deliveries.

We are in the same boat! I ordered my Model S up on the 7th of January, and traded in my Model 3 a day before the price drop was announced. I feel like I robbed the dealership... and was worried that they would not honor the price they quoted, but I picked up the check and it cleared so... wo hoo!! I got lucky, course... now we are down to 1 vehicle which sucks.

Wow, nice, so lucky. You got the best. A higher price for your trade in and a lower price for the new car. That's a windfall worth a double celebration. Hmm, maybe some people think you owe them a hat. Just kidding but that might be in line with some posts I've been reading these last few days. Congrats!!!
P.S. you traded into an ICE dealership?

Last edited:

Amazing timing! Mind sharing how much you received for the 3? I'm considering transferring to an auto broker to handle sales if the offer is too low.
My EDD still shows Jan ~ Mar 2023 as of this evening.

Did someone pickup new Model S, with refreshed rear bar? I'm interested from which VIN number it started and if there are any additional changes.
There are two other changes. The "T" emblem is removed, and the rear screen viewable area is larger.

The rear bar will have raised word art in silver.

The bar and screen will be available for retrofit, but my SvC did not have pricing.

Amazing timing! Mind sharing how much you received for the 3? I'm considering transferring to an auto broker to handle sales if the offer is too low.
My EDD still shows Jan ~ Mar 2023 as of this evening.
I would be interested to know what your dates end up (with specific days). Has demand spiked for the Plaid a bit since the price drop? Or is the difference between $120k and $140k not significant.

So for my Model 3 I received $29,500. Tesla was ultra-low at $19-21k... so to KBB I went. The first dealership offered the $29,500, and I wasn't sure how much I would be able to get, so I still shopped around for a few days. I took the car to ~10 other dealerships that week, and received offers as low as $23,000 (CarMax) and as high as $27,000 (a local Chevy dealer). Here is what I think was a little odd: When I started with KBB.com and it listed my Model 3, it came up as a "mid-ranged" model from the VIN and said to expect $31-36k. As far as I know, Mid ranged Model 3s do not exist... but I think there was a standard range for a while (not the Standard Plus) so I think maybe that is what KBB was trying to emphasize? I don't know, but I ran with it. When ever the dealers asked "so it is a mid range?" I said "it isn't the long range, sadly no". I let them assume from there.

My guess is that with the current price drop for a new Model 3 getting nearly $30k for the car is unlikely, but who knows! I would be curious to know what you get for yours and how it goes. Keep us posted!

• Helpful
Reactions: suyoungman
Hmm... what do you mean? They can't force a car on anyone... Important to bring a cashier's check to avoid any issues :oops:
No, they can't force the sale, but they can cancel your order after the first delivery decline. This happened to my daughter; she wanted a Model Y, but then realized that her finances were not quite where she wanted... so she tried to decline to push the date back a couple weeks. After giving a random reason (I am not sure what she said) they canceled her order.

Here is what I think was a little odd: When I started with KBB.com and it listed my Model 3, it came up as a "mid-ranged" model from the VIN and said to expect $31-36k. As far as I know, Mid ranged Model 3s do not exist...
Yes, they did make the mid-range Model 3 for a while in late 2018 through early 2019:

1674055434852.png

• Helpful
No, they can't force the sale, but they can cancel your order after the first delivery decline. This happened to my daughter; she wanted a Model Y, but then realized that her finances were not quite where she wanted... so she tried to decline to push the date back a couple weeks. After giving a random reason (I am not sure what she said) they canceled her order.
Ahh, understood, that makes sense. I can't see them canceling due to refusing a subpar vehicle.

Yes, they did make the mid-range Model 3 for a while in late 2018 through early 2019:

View attachment 897014
Thank you! this is really interesting. So background on my old Model 3: My mother purchased it back in 2019, and she wanted the base model. I bought it off her in 2021, she wanted to get a Model Y for the extra room. The car was made in April of 2019, so it should have just missed the cutoff to potentially be a Mid-Range. It also never charged to more than 220 miles of range, so my guess it truly was a Standard Range Plus, but who knows! I may have to dig into the VIN a bit to just see if it was an odd bird... If anyone has any info her VIN is 5YJ3E1EA7KF309622. I don't mind sharing as I no longer own her.

I would be interested to know what your dates end up (with specific days). Has demand spiked for the Plaid a bit since the price drop? Or is the difference between $120k and $140k not significant.

So for my Model 3 I received $29,500. Tesla was ultra-low at $19-21k... so to KBB I went. The first dealership offered the $29,500, and I wasn't sure how much I would be able to get, so I still shopped around for a few days. I took the car to ~10 other dealerships that week, and received offers as low as $23,000 (CarMax) and as high as $27,000 (a local Chevy dealer). Here is what I think was a little odd: When I started with KBB.com and it listed my Model 3, it came up as a "mid-ranged" model from the VIN and said to expect $31-36k. As far as I know, Mid ranged Model 3s do not exist... but I think there was a standard range for a while (not the Standard Plus) so I think maybe that is what KBB was trying to emphasize? I don't know, but I ran with it. When ever the dealers asked "so it is a mid range?" I said "it isn't the long range, sadly no". I let them assume from there.

My guess is that with the current price drop for a new Model 3 getting nearly $30k for the car is unlikely, but who knows! I would be curious to know what you get for yours and how it goes. Keep us posted!
Not surprising to hear about Tesla's low offer. Best I'm seeing is $33k from shift.com. Other online auto companies are offering anything from $12k to $31k.
EDD changed for me this AM from Jan~Mar, to Feb 2 ~ Mar 9.